Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2022, 02:30 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times

Advertisements

Wait until Russian oil imports are banned by our government and see where gasoline prices go to. And for those who think housing, used car and grocery prices are high now. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 03:03 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Huh? Yes. I don't drive an SUV "in spite of the gas".

I drive an SUV because I live at 7,000 ft elevation in Colorado & I'm on winding dirt roads on the side of a mountain every day.

Besides, gas HAS been $4 a gallon here before & I was driving an SUV both then & afterwards.

I do wonder sometimes about why some people who never leave the city drive SUV's. It's kind of like seeing a guy step out of his car at a biker bar wearing full leathers, lol.

Old 03-03-2022, 03:05 PM

1,364 posts, read 611,485 times
We get lot's of snow in winter. An SUV is pretty much a must for me.

Old 03-03-2022, 03:05 PM

1,655 posts, read 774,488 times
National average now up to $3.73…premium $4.30

Old 03-03-2022, 03:33 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
I live in a area which has a semi-rural high migrant population approx. 15-20 mi. away. Many of these people use food banks, various church charities, salvation army, etc.

I can't help noticing their vehicles (and their manner) but that is another story. The large majority drive trucks, mostly pickups with V-8 engines. I'm sure many don't get more than 15 MPG. Been that way for years and is worse than ever.

For the lamebrained "wanna be macho types", fuel costs take a back seat to" gotta be big for protection from collision"---"gotta make lots of savage straight pipe noise" and "gotta bully auto drivers".

Most have smart phones and many unnecessary amenities so I doubt fuel prices will deter them till they are forced to walk---or yeah, hitch a ride. Isn't Florida culture wonderful?
That makes no sense, unless what you have said also applies to the "wanna be other types." There has to be a reason why those people have V8 trucks (or Obama, Trump, and Biden-phones). Maybe they don't want to be "seeing" as being "metrosexual" or something else. Who knows? Maybe they just want to have enough room to toss all of their belongings in the back of the truck before running out of town ahead an "Immigration raid."

Don't tell me that you perceive truck drivers as "macho wanna be." Young, old, "and in between" women drive trucks too.

Old 03-03-2022, 03:44 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Gas prices won't affect my choice of vehicle for my upcoming purchase. I'm looking at a SUV.

All it means is I will shift spending away from something else. Less beer.
What, less beer? That's crazy talk.

Old 03-03-2022, 03:46 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That makes no sense, unless what you have said also applies to the "wanna be other types." There has to be a reason why those people have V8 trucks (or Obama, Trump, and Biden-phones). Maybe they don't want to be "seeing" as being "metrosexual" or something else. Who knows? Maybe they just want to have enough room to toss all of their belongings in the back of the truck before running out of town ahead an "Immigration raid."

Don't tell me that you perceive truck drivers as "macho wanna be." Young, old, "and in between" women drive trucks too.
FUNNY you should put it that way!

F250s with crew cabs and the like are high on the car theft list, popular with people smugglers.

They know they can take the weight, they yank out the back seat, and put lots of people back there.

AHEM! Now, that aside, I went down to the dealership, told him what I wanted to do (even though I was still in dreamland), and he sold me a used F250.

More truck than what I have used so far? Probably but the kind of truck I need for the ranch, certainly. Granted, an F150 probably could handle the load out for a scuba camping/cooking trip.....or hauling the emergency diesel generator to the dealership for a recall repair.......but the 250 does it very nicely without worry.

Old 03-03-2022, 06:30 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Do you know the phrase "Bob's your uncle" there?

I worked for a British family for several years, my favorite expression was "I have to spend a penny."

Since I gassed Monday the local Costco and Safeway are up 10 cents and 11 cents, but still under $4. Probably loss leaders, and I expect them to have longer lines with the major brands now up to $4.19-$4.59/Gallon for regular. With my 36 gallon tank I'm saving as much as $25/tank at Costco.
Bob’s your Uncle means “that it, you’re all set, you’re good to go”.
To spend a penny means that you’re visiting the bathroom, it probably stems from the days when to access a stall in a public convenience in U.K. you had to insert an old penny to unlock the door.

Old 03-03-2022, 09:59 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
London gas prices are; 151.67p per litre for unleaded, 163.54p per litre for super unleaded, and 155.23p per litre for diesel, these prices no doubt include government tax.
I don’t know why the pump price isn’t displayed as £1.51.67p, or £1.63.54p, maybe 151 and 155 looks psychologically cheaper to the customer?
Fuel Duty is included in the price you pay for petrol, diesel and other fuels used in vehicles or for heating. Petrol duty is 57.95 pence per litre.

So if I take 155.23p per liter and subtract out 57.59p fuel tax I am left with 97.64p per liter or x3.78541 is 369.607p per US gallon. Converting to US dollars multiply by 1.3344 to get $4.932 per US gallon.

So without the huge tax you have in Britain the gasoline price in London is close to the price in a large city in the US like Los Angeles.
Regular $5.014
Mid $5.162
Premium $5.281
Diesel $5.222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I thought that “taking the Mickey” was understood in the U.S., but it means something like making fun of someone.
We have google now, so you can look up any foreign slang, but a lot of very commonplace British slang is completely unknown without google. Every now and then a movie makes us aware of some British slang. Most Americans now understand what "shagging" is thanks to Mike Myers.

Most Americans don't know what div or divvy means. They also don't know what a Mug, a Chav or a Git. There is an American English version of the Harry Pottter books.

While it is very common to remake French movies in English, I do find it funny when they remake a British movie in American English. David Tennant starred the UK drama series Broadchurch which was remade with David Tennant playing the same part as an American show called Gracepoint. I thought it was the dumbest thing I had ever seen.

In terms of cars what Brits call a "saloon" is called a "sedan" in America. American English had to borrow the word from Italian.

Old 03-04-2022, 06:52 AM

1,655 posts, read 774,488 times
Average now at:

Regular $3.84
Premium $4.38
Diesel $4.26

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies