Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2022, 04:13 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
A Cessna? I thought they made airplanes.
They do.

What I am saying is that I'm a good Texas Cowgirl in that I can fly planes, land on dirt strips, slip (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slip_(aerodynamics)) it right in during cross winds. I view vehicles often to use them for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 04:13 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Two types of vehicles I could never get into and never understood the appeal.

The large size 4x4 pickup trucks.
Muscle cars (I'm not impressed by the Ford Mustang).
Sports cars (such as the Mazda MX-5)

Old 03-11-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
They do.

What I am saying is that I'm a good Texas Cowgirl in that I can fly planes, land on dirt strips, slip (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slip_(aerodynamics)) it right in during cross winds. I view vehicles often to use them for work.
I spent some time in Texas as a small child. I grew up in Georgia though. I've never flown a plane. Ford F-150s are popular from New Mexico to North Carolina, and in alot of rural areas. I lived in an exurban area where plenty of boys and men drive pickup trucks. And plenty of women love the guys who drive them. I never quite fit in, so I was just like "whatever".

The work I do, it requires me to be in an office. I also like to go into the outdoors on the weekend (for hiking, maybe some cycling). For me, a Ford F-150 isn't practical.

Old 03-11-2022, 04:20 PM

With the gas prices rising, I don't have any incentive to buy something like a Nissan Titan. It will become a money pit.

Old 03-11-2022, 04:21 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Two types of vehicles I could never get into and never understood the appeal.

The large size 4x4 pickup trucks.
Muscle cars (I'm not impressed by the Ford Mustang).
Sports cars (such as the Mazda MX-5)
Long ago, there was the Oldsmobile Cutlass like the Salon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmo...8%E2%80%931988 .

V 8 engine, wonderful muscle cars and they crashed very well. The type of crash that despite the damage to the car, one often walked away from.

Mine was lost when another car side to side impacted me and knocked me into the concrete wall......and walked away. I had known an officer a few years before where he impacted the guard rail, it ran down the side of car, entered the behind the driver's seat, wrapped around the rear axle and ranked it free of the car.......and he walked away.

That type of POWER is nothing to sneeze at.
Quote:
I spent some time in Texas as a small child. I grew up in Georgia though. I've never flown a plane. Ford F-150s are popular from New Mexico to North Carolina, and in alot of rural areas. I lived in an exurban area where plenty of boys and men drive pickup trucks. And plenty of women love the guys who drive them. I never quite fit in, so I was just like "whatever".

The work I do, it requires me to be in an office. I also like to go into the outdoors on the weekend (for hiking, maybe some cycling). For me, a Ford F-150 isn't practical.
Nor is it for me.....that's why I got an F-250.

First, the theory that if I need to bug out from the ranch, I throw the cats and their taxis into the crew cab, what I can in the bed and take off! Haven't put that to test yet and hopefully I never do, but that is how it was sold to me.

Now, the reality.

I do go out to the outdoors and when I do for groups, the truck is often what I use. Fill up the bed with my scuba gear, other scuba gear, a cooler or two, stretch out in the back when I can. Different strokes.

Old 03-11-2022, 04:26 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times
Quote:

I still don't get the love affair with large-size pickup trucks.
Well that's ok, but you don't mind if there are those of us who do...?

Old 03-11-2022, 04:28 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
I won't change my driving habits one bit. I like my F150. surprisingly, being about 20ft long it is easy to maneuver. I have always liked Fords turning radius on their 4x4's.

My 40MPG Fiesta just sits and will continue to. It is only a backup and being that my F150 is a 2020 model I don't foresee any reason to try to squeeze into that tiny thing.

BTW, my F150 4x4 with the little diesel, until I put on larger tires and a mild lift, got 28 to 30 honest MPG's on a regular highway with occasional traffic lights. I know it would have busted 30 on the interstate. I call that kind of milage incredible. Currently I get 25 on that same highway and am at 22 all around. Not bad at all for that class vehicle. I'll take it. Weird how those MPG's are acceptable to these vehicle nazis but since they are coming from a truck these nazis just have to complain.

Personally, I don't give a flying rats ass **** what anybody else drives so I want the same returned to me.

And guess what, no defense, reasoning or anything from me other then I drive a 4x4 because I WANT TO! Yep. Want is a big incentive and since it is my money it will be 199% my decision what I spend it on.

And the Fiesta still sits. Did I say I hate that car?

Will sell it and put that money towards a 70's Ford 4x4. BTW, those 70's F150's are the same size as the newer ones. I've even seen a few 70's bodys put on modern frames/drivetrains for the classic style with modern reliability and comfort. There was a bad ass 79 Bronco stretched to an excursion style and put on a modern super duty chassis with a modern dash and interior. Last I saw it was bid at over 100 grand and climbing.
Yep, same size vehicles, pretty much all designed for a 4x8 between the wheelwells. The only smaller older full sizes were the Jeep J series with the Cherokee/Wagoneer (originals) sharing the chassis. They were a bit narrower and quite a bit lower. The 76 Cherokee 2 door was my first vehicle. Have been driving full sized 4x4's ever since!

Old 03-11-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Long ago, there was the Oldsmobile Cutlass like the Salon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmo...8%E2%80%931988 .

V 8 engine, wonderful muscle cars and they crashed very well. The type of crash that despite the damage to the car, one often walked away from.

Mine was lost when another car side to side impacted me and knocked me into the concrete wall......and walked away. I had known an officer a few years before where he impacted the guard rail, it ran down the side of car, entered the behind the driver's seat, wrapped around the rear axle and ranked it free of the car.......and he walked away.

That type of POWER is nothing to sneeze at.
I guess it's different tastes. While there might be a practical use for said muscle car, I never got the cult following. Then again, I think about this. When I was much younger, my parents drove stuff like Nissan and Toyota. I drive a Nissan myself. Growing up, no one in my family drove a muscle car or a pickup truck (my father drove a sports car when he was in his late 20s). My brother and sister have traditionally been sedan drivers (my sister loves Volkswagen). My brother got in a wreck with an old Volvo car (1990s Volvo). He walked away from the accident. It crashed quite well.

Old 03-11-2022, 04:36 PM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
The Tundra and the Titan are also pickup trucks that I have no interest in owning. Too big for my tastes. I've never been a pickup truck kind of person. If I were to get a pickup truck, it would be something small like a Frontier (2001-2004, nothing after 2004). I don't like the 3rd generation Nissan Frontier.
No one said you did but you were comparing a full size vehicle with ones in a smaller size class, so not really a valid comparison when saying the F150 is so much bigger than a Tacoma.

Old 03-11-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Well that's ok, but you don't mind if there are those of us who do...?
I'm not saying you can't drive your pickup truck. I'm just saying that for someone like me, who grew up around people who loved pickup trucks, I never picked it up. Just like I never got the appeal when it came to muscle cars. I just saw it and was like "whatever". I never got acculturated to it.

Now, if you gave me the keys to a Subaru Forester, I would be like "thank you!!". I can explain my love of the Subaru. I grew up watching alot of travel shows. I saw commercials for Subaru. There was something about it. Handling those sharp curves with nimbleness, being in the outdoors, going on adventures such as the forests or the outback, the Arctic. I always associated it with adventures all over the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies