Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2022, 11:24 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Uh, yeah I know, I was being funny.....
Sorry, it’s a little tougher than normal to pick up on sarcasm/subtlety when reading a thread where some posters scream that if you’re not vehicular-ly prepared to haul hay - even having spent your whole life living in a city - then you’re taking away THEIR freedom. (Not you)

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 11:29 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I personally favor multiplying the fuel taxes 5-fold and have a huge tax on polluting the air based on efficiency. I hope to see gas at about $15/gallon, I think we could then separate those that really need to use these polluting gas guzzlers and those that merely prefer one.
One of the most heartless and ill thought out statements to appear on CD, and that's saying a lot. So just to wean out a few innocent truck posers, you'd decimate the millions of workers and businesses who rely and depend on trucks for their very livelihood, not to mention crippling the interstate trucking industry and supply chain of the US......? Brilliant......

Ever hear of Karma? Comin' your way.....drivin' a big ole truck......

Old 03-13-2022, 11:31 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
One of the reasons I drive a $95,000 12MPG gas guzzler is because you don’t want me to.
Thanks for clarifying. Some people buy trucks like that to compensate for other inadequacies.

Old 03-13-2022, 12:09 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
Quote:
Not to mention the possible occurrence of an EMP of some sort. Vehicles prior to 2004 fare well in tests, but the older the better of course.....
Good to know. I am set then with two of them. If things go "Walking Dead" here I can still get around. I keep my older cars anyway as they are cheaper and easier to fix compared to new ones. Every experienced mechanic I have talked to reinforces that reality. The older cars were made better with parts that last longer too. Just this year replaced the original alternator on a 90 model. Still on the original starter and it's an antique.

NADA values hold well too for any vehicle regardless of age that gets decent city mileage. This is why we see so many ancient Honda, Toyota and Subaru's still on the road. They are the top 3 for ownership beyond 20+ years.

I would hope that the people pushing EV's would factor in common sense and the positive recycling aspect of older gas models. Many people who keep older cars (and trucks) drive less than 10 miles per trip. Not a huge cost for gas or an issue with negatively effecting the environment anyway.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:00 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Why do people even care? I take useless drives to nowhere in my truck. Why? Because I enjoy it.
It humers me when people complain or wonder why people drive these "expensive, gas guzzling" vehicles. Why would it really matter how people like me spend my money?

You know, to me (very far from rich as I'm in debt like many others) I'm NOT wasting money by taking these drives to nowhere. I'm living my life. Visiting places. Taking in the scenery. It's much more enjoyable in a vehicle with plenty of visibility through large windows in which I can see over walls and guardrails AND be comfortable as well.

On the same note I'll counter with...

Why buy a small $30 bottle of wine when it is more economical to buy a large $10 bottle?

Why buy "trendy" imported beer when cheap swill like "the beast" would cost a fraction?

Why go to a bar, order expensive appetizers and drink the overpriced drinks there when it is much more practical (and economical) to stay home with a cheap 12 pack and a bottle of Mad Dog while munching on baloney sandwiches. Imagine the money you'd save!

Why go to Ruth's Chris when you can get a steak from Applebee's?

Why go to Starbucks (I hate that place) when you can save a bunch at Dunkin Doughnuts?

Why get a Mercedes when you can get a Focus? Oh yea, must be compensating for something! Where have I heard that before?

Why pave your driveway when gravel will do? Imagine the money you'll save!

Why get an oceanfront hotel room when you can get a street view and save a bunch on your vacation? Really, why go on vacation at all when you can bring up videos of the location on your TV. Or Virtual reality? Imagine the money you can save by staying on your couch?

Couch? Why have a couch? Thats a lot of money to spend when you can get a reclining, plastic beach chair for a fraction of the price. Spread some sand around it and it'll be just like staying at the beach.

Imagine all the money that can be saved! I can't believe people spend all this on these pointless luxury's. Really? Why? Just wasted money!

Same thing as wondering why we "waste" OUR money on trucks instead of buying some clown car or EV like the "enlightened" ones do.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:03 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Thanks for clarifying. Some people buy trucks like that to compensate for other inadequacies.

Is that taught on 7th grade playgrounds?

Old 03-13-2022, 01:05 PM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
One of the reasons I drive a $95,000 12MPG gas guzzler is because you don’t want me to.
You've increased the value of my Chevron stock, thanks.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:09 PM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
One of the most heartless and ill thought out statements to appear on CD, and that's saying a lot. So just to wean out a few innocent truck posers, you'd decimate the millions of workers and businesses who rely and depend on trucks for their very livelihood, not to mention crippling the interstate trucking industry and supply chain of the US......? Brilliant......

Ever hear of Karma? Comin' your way.....drivin' a big ole truck......
Drama queen much.

We would become a healthier and wealthier nation if we weened off gas guzzlers and went 100% EV, so you're just wrong trying to stick to horse drawn carriages and poison your kids with gas fumes.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:20 PM

1,809 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Drama queen much.

We would become a healthier and wealthier nation if we weened off gas guzzlers and went 100% EV, so you're just wrong trying to stick to horse drawn carriages and poison your kids with gas fumes.
You just have NO concept of what it takes to produce a single kilowatt of electricity.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:21 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The Ford F-150 is the best selling vehicle in America. Something tells me that said truck has an appeal that goes beyond the rural areas and the occupations associated with it. I'm wondering how it's appealing to the suburban areas, or even the cities, even now with the gas prices rising.
My theory is that, even though "the media" has claimed for a while that the only reason people buy trucks is that they are being pushed. The reality is that people want larger vehicles with plenty of room. The 70's had large sedans, wagons and even coups. That trend went through the 80's. The 90's newer gen vehicles got smaller but the trend started shifting as 4 door downsized but roomy SUV's started arriving.

Then came the 2000's with pick ups getting a shorter bed option with 4 full doors so they were no longer then the 70's/80's full sized sedans and wagons. And they looked good because the whole vehicle was designed together. And the newer ones are not as big as the 70's 80's crew cabs which looked like the 2 extra doors were an afterthought.

So, the 1/2 ton, super short bed, crew cabs became the new family sedan. Gone are the days of the big sedans/wagons. Here are the days of the "sedans being taller, offered with 4 wheel drive and having an open trunk. The perfect all around vehicle. And the old wagons of back in the day? Just as the wagons were based off the full sized body on frame sedans back then. The "new" wagons such as the Tahoe, Expedition, Expedition XL, and the Suburban (though around for a long time) are based on the full sized 1/2 ton body on frame pickups.

A lot of people have always wanted larger and roomier vehicles. When the crew cabs go out of style I'm sure the largest vehicles of the era will replace become popular as that seems to be what people want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies