Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2022, 03:58 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Yes, trucks and SUV's are to ingrained into the American culture for people to simply stop buying them.
However, I guarantee that you will see news interviews on TV of these people at gas stations complaining about the price they're paying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 04:02 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
We need a SUV for snow conditions.

We need a truck for living in a formerly rural area...that due to urban refugees is now a metro area.

The diesel truck get 19 MPG, the TWO SUV's get between 16 and 24.

I would get a electric SUV. Our electricity is basically free.

BUT I need a CHEAP electric vehicle with 4-wd, that I can drive 120 miles at zero degrees and 6,000 foot elevation change.

Still waiting on that.
Where could you possibly live where you “need” an SUV for snow driving? Snow tires on a FWD car? Sure. I wintered at a ski resort for many years where I got 200” of snow in my driveway. Snow tires, AWD, and some ground clearance was a convenience so I didn’t have to shovel but the plowing was plenty good enough to be fine with a FWD car with good snow tires.

Winter driving range? Sure. I have no interest in an EV. Unless you live somewhere with a huge amount of snow and abysmal plowing, an SUV is unnecessary merely for snow driving. Towing? Actual off roading rather than just graded dirt roads? There are plenty of reasons to need an SUV.

Old 02-28-2022, 04:11 PM

1,655 posts, read 775,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
However, I guarantee that you will see news interviews on TV of these people at gas stations complaining about the price they're paying.
Yep. A lot of Americans think short term and only worry about what they can afford in the moment. This means they are spread thin with just enough money to cover their monthly bills…a relatively sudden $100/month bill via extra fuel cost can throw them into a tizzy.

Granted, in a time like we are experiencing now — it’s not just the $100 in extra fuel. That just compounds on the extra money we are spending for everything which does start to add up. Car payment is now an extra $50-75, food is more, house payment is more with soaring prices, home repairs cost more, food, etc, etc.

Old 02-28-2022, 04:27 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Complaining is too ingrained into the American culture for people to simply stop doing it.

2022 Toyota Prius / MSRP: From $24,625
2022 Toyota Prius Prime / MSRP: From $28,220 (Range: 25 mi battery-only, 640 mi total)

Kbb expects the price of the 2023 Toyota Prius hybrid to start at approximately $26,000. The cost of the 2023 Toyota Prius Prime plug-in hybrid should start at around $29,000.

If they increase the electric range of the Prius Prime from the present 25 miles to equal the 42 miles of the RAV4 Prime, then it would be well worth $29,000. But I don't think the vehicle could handle the weight of the battery. The present Prius Prime battery weighs 180 lbs, while the RAV4 Prime battery weighs 840 lbs.

In 2021, Toyota sold 33,968 PRIUS and 25,042 PRIUS Prime. In comparison Toyota sold 27,576 Corolla hybrids and 46,399 Camry hybrids. They also sold 2,629 Mirai, and 9,734 Avalon hybrids. Out of 652,074 sales in Toyota's Car division, 145,348 were hybrids.

Cars were 32% of Toyota sales in 2021. The rest were crossovers, SUVs and pickup trucks. I could see Toyota only selling hybrid cars in California in six years, while reserving BEVs and gasoline vehicles for crossovers, SUVs and pickup trucks.

Toyota has stated the BZ sub-brand will receive four additional EVs to complement the BZ4X. They include a BZ small crossover, a BZ compact SUV, a BZ large SUV and a BZ sedan. I am assuming the sedan will be more Avalon size and not Camry sized.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:42 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Gas is $3.04 gallon. I will keep the vehicles I have. Like many people, I can't afford another vehicle even if I wanted one. When we go out of town, our 2007 Nissan gets 37 mpg. And here I drive my full size Ford E 150 (18 mpg). Or our Chrysler 300M.(27 mpg)

Old 02-28-2022, 06:27 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
Not so sure about the Prius being a POS.

For one, the Prius is a hatchback which makes it super versatile. I once carried 40 boxes of printer paper inside my Prius. I also surprised the folks at Home Depot when a tall water heater fit inside. Another time I carried 8 interior doors from Lowe’s. What really surprises people is that I towed a 4x8 utility trailer with my Prius. I paid about $22k for it in 2009 minus the $4,500 I got for a cash for clunkers trade in. It transported me just fine through college and adulthood — now has 215k miles and the only money I’ve put into repairs was a wheel bearing and one set of brake pads.

For someone like me who’s goal from age 19 or 20 was to be a millionaire and retired by my early 30s — the Prius was PERFECTION. Averaging 45-50 mpg for the last 13-14 years is just icing on the cake which freed up more money I could invest into my business.

I’m kinda excited to see what Toyota does with the next gen Prius that should come out for 2023. With Toyota putting the hybrid power trains in everything, 50 mpg no longer makes the Prius special so they’ll have to do something to keep it unique — maybe 60+ mpg or plug in range standard on base model.

Have you seen this? https://projectlithium.com/products/prius-lithium-replacement-pack

Just in case you wanted to extend the life out a bit more and put some pep in your Prius's step

Old 02-28-2022, 07:50 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Trucks for 80% of their owners are lifestyle vehicles, all about projecting an image while hauling air in 5000lbs. Which isn’t to say that many other vehicles are not lifestyle vehicles but trucks are so ingrained in the American male psyche that their sales will not go down soon or substantially.

I drove trucks on the family farm and growing up with my brothers in the mountains where they were used for hauling all sorts of stuff from firewood to lumber and equipment and occasional towing. I have absolutely no need nor any desire to have one today and they would be miserable and ridiculous in the mostly urban conditions that we drive in never hauling or towing anything or rarely have over two people in.

We’re coming up on replacing at least one of our 20 and 16y.o. vehicles in the next nine months. We’ll be replacing our mid-size crossover with a fairly heavy EV crossover just to provide some protection from the plethora of heavy, lethal trucks that have taken over the roadways. But it will provide us with the driving dynamics, efficiency, practicality and minimal maintenance with what we desire and cost us minimal charging costs with our net-zero PV equipped house.

I’ll probably keep my ICE sporty compact turbo wagon for a bit and maybe replace it eventually with a similar type car but even though gas costs are nothing for our minimal driving lifestyles I’m looking forward to getting to geek out a bit with the different driving dynamics of an EV and reducing our use of fossil fuels even more.

I don’t think gas prices are going to drop very much in the future if at all and I’m glad I don’t need a big truck to project some sort of image I care nothing about - especially now that you can’t get a basic truck for less than $50k these days.

Old 02-28-2022, 07:59 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
I’ve started checking the national average price everyday now on AAA’s site — regular up another penny from yesterday. Premium fuel now at $4.22/gallon.
Wow! Up 28% in a year. And California higher than Hawaii !!
That website could become addictive very quickly.

Premium
  • $4.221 Current Average
  • $4.212 Yesterday's Average
  • $4.149 Week Ago Average
  • $3.980 Month Ago Average
  • $3.297 Year Ago Average

Regular
  • $3.610 Current Average
  • $3.604 Yesterday's Average
  • $3.532 Week Ago Average
  • $3.356 Month Ago Average
  • $2.717 Year Ago Average

HIGHEST RECORDED AVERAGE PRICE Regular Unleaded $4.114 on 7/17/08

Old 02-28-2022, 08:47 PM

103 posts, read 71,909 times
Quote:
I remember back in 2009 when gas was over $4 gallon and people were giving away trucks and SUVs that got 12-20mpg. I was on a GM dedicated forum and people were going on and on about how nice smaller cars were the future and how GM and Ford were so far behind in that segment.

I ended up buying a Prius in 2009 and it was very hard to find one because dealers were marking up new and used Priuses by as much as $5,000.

Fast forward to 2022 and gas is once again closing in on $4+. And large trucks and SUVs have been selling like hot cakes for the last 5-6+ years.

Bronco, Jeep’s, Rams, Tundra, F150, Silverado, Tahoe, Tacoma — the big trucks that mostly get under 20mpg have sold well for a while now with people paying sticker price or even markups.

But what happens if gas goes to $4.50 or $5+? Surely this will sting an extra bit for those who now have payments on $50-60k trucks plus paying inflated prices for everything else that keeps going up.

Will we once again see trucks being liquidated like we did in 2009?
I'm still teying to figure out how dealerships keep their doors open with out having new vehicles on the lot to sell and no cars in the service dept.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:16 PM

1,655 posts, read 775,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Have you seen this? https://projectlithium.com/products/prius-lithium-replacement-pack

Just in case you wanted to extend the life out a bit more and put some pep in your Prius's step
Cool. I haven’t seen that but I’ll keep it in mind because I’d like to keep my Prius a long long time as a second car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies