Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What was the origin of covid-19?
Probably the wet market 8 9.88%
Probably the lab 66 81.48%
Aliens 2 2.47%
Not enough information to decide yet 5 6.17%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 02:41 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
In a previous poll most of us believed the lab leak theory. Now they are blaming racoon dogs. Do you believe it?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00584-8
I love how science is determined by a poll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 02:56 PM

29,808 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I love how science is determined by a poll!

No one, anywhere in this thread, made that claim except you. Opinion and science are two totally different topics.

Old 02-28-2022, 03:02 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Nothing would surprise me. I remember reading a story years ago that AIDS came from an area in Africa where there was a research lab. They said it was just a coincidence, but who knows?
They said that monkeys carry AIDS but it doesn't make them sick.

Old 02-28-2022, 03:11 PM

6,646 posts, read 2,956,027 times
I wanted to choose both wet market and lab

It's just a safety regulation nightmare over there all around. Anything can happen.

Old 02-28-2022, 03:21 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Quote:
Scientists have released three studies that reveal intriguing new clues about how the COVID-19 pandemic started. Two of the reports trace the outbreak back to a massive market that sold live animals, among other goods, in Wuhan, China1,2, and a third suggests that the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 spilled over from animals — possibly those sold at the market — into humans at least twice in November or December 20193.
The first citation is from a group of Chinese scientists. Their competence isn't at issue, but their loyalty to the truth is. They will report whatever the CCP tells them to report.

The second essentially concludes that because there was an outbreak near a wet market, the wet market is the cause. Well, the outbreak was also near a lab, so...

Looks like a conclusion in search of evidence to me, which Nature is kind of known for anyway, at least when it comes to certain areas of scientific and political interest.

Old 02-28-2022, 03:28 PM

6,646 posts, read 2,956,027 times
Not sure what concrete evidence they'd find at this point.

China locked out all outside investigations for like a year before they chaperoned outsiders to come 'look' at what they wanted them to see.

Old 02-28-2022, 06:26 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
As you described yourself as "not an expert", I'd love to hear some examples from your experience of other ways you personally have seen an "RNA virus act" that had led you to ......... again....in your own words as "not an expert", not believe the findings of the new research that has come out. How have you seen RNA virus' act before?
OK.

1- As an inflammatory virus it is very aggressive more so than any virus I've worked with. As the patient gets better this virus attacks other organ systems or re attacks the lungs as they are healing.

2- I have worked with H1N1, H1N5, SARS, and 20 years of flu. CoV19 is much more aggressive, you as a patient and as a clinician are dumfounded by it's intent to kill. No other virus has this quality.

3- One group is more susceptible over time. Not with this virus. As time has passed it is reaching most human beings.

4- This virus is much more painful in the human body, desperate for pain relief we frequently have to give many
more narcotics to control pain.

5- Most importantly it kills very quickly much more quickly and when people are well, it hits them again and yes kills them

Last edited by AADAD; 02-28-2022 at 06:50 PM..

Old 02-28-2022, 06:30 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
Not sure what concrete evidence they'd find at this point.

China locked out all outside investigations for like a year before they chaperoned outsiders to come 'look' at what they wanted them to see.
and that's how we know it came from the lab....

...if China could have proved their innocence...China would have thrown the doors wide open at the very beginning

China did everything...exactly like you would do if you're guilty

Old 03-01-2022, 10:42 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
no one in history has claimed the purpose of any poll to be determination of the truth.

where did you come up with that one?
Polls are often used to predict how people will vote. Sometimes they are used to determine what policies the majority would like to see enacted. They are not always accurate, but have an intended purpose.

What purpose does this poll serve?

Old 03-01-2022, 10:56 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
OK.

1- As an inflammatory virus it is very aggressive more so than any virus I've worked with. As the patient gets better this virus attacks other organ systems or re attacks the lungs as they are healing.

2- I have worked with H1N1, H1N5, SARS, and 20 years of flu. CoV19 is much more aggressive, you as a patient and as a clinician are dumfounded by it's intent to kill. No other virus has this quality.

3- One group is more susceptible over time. Not with this virus. As time has passed it is reaching most human beings.

4- This virus is much more painful in the human body, desperate for pain relief we frequently have to give many
more narcotics to control pain.

5- Most importantly it kills very quickly much more quickly and when people are well, it hits them again and yes kills them
2 - “dumfounded by it's intent to kill. No other virus has this quality.”

A virus is not sentient. It can’t have an “intent” to do anything. But certainly there are many viruses that are more deadly, such as HIV, smallpox, polio, etc

3 - “One group more susceptible over time.” Clearly the elderly are more susceptible than the very young. I would say most viruses do not exhibit such specificity.

4 - “much more painful “. More painful than what? I’ve heard that shingles can be quite painful.

And what does all this lead you to conclude about the origin of COVID-19?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies