Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 08:04 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times

Advertisements

[quote=Goodnight;63001802]The keystone pipeline was to refine oil from Canada that was heading to China and even if consumed in the US it wouldn’t be anywhere near 10%.

People dying in Ukraine fighting Russia and we can’t tolerate a temporary increase in gas prices.[/QUOTE]

Not my circus not my monkeys.... People are getting killed all over the world everyday. Should I mention Afghanistan? Look at all the tax money your president left the bad guys there.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 08:09 AM

7,342 posts, read 3,514,319 times
the green climate deal leftists only care about stopping American fossil fuels because the climate only matters in America

too cold, turn up heat. too hot, blast the ac. then they love purchasing all their china made stuff. all their beloved politicians have large expensive houses and constantly travel…but my gas stove is the real problem

Old 03-02-2022, 08:15 AM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
What happened to oil independence? Fracking? offshore in our waters?

Just not enough?
Oil independence never existed, except maybe for a few days. Much of the production that exemplified that is not economic, even at today's high prices.

As for Federal leases, any restrictions are on new leases, not the 10+ years of existing undrilled leases oil companies currently hold.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:17 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
For a party that hates fossil fuels, why Does Biden and his fellow Democrats prefer to buy oil from Russia, which directly funds the war on Ukraine?

Simple question. I look forward to a discussion on this topic, especially from the left.
I think the "prefer" part is what makes the statement ridiculous and paints you as a bad actor.
You want to know why we dont stop buying oil from Russia? Well that answer is informed by the oil embargo of the 70's, we know that Russia will be forced to increase production which will in turn lower the price of oil, we know that just not buying Russian oil when the EU does will cause great harm to our economy, and wont hurt the russians near term, so you have a quasi prisoner's dilemma with the EU, the point is that is not that simple because we have done it before and its backfired. My understanding is that our oil production has not decreased, if we have stopped producing shell oil even at a point where the cost of extraction is justifiable then thats a mistake, You can certainly make an argument for lifting environmental regulations or shifting that burden to the state while in this state of emergency, I am not sold at a full oil embargo of Russia just on the second order effects but we should be doing everything in our power to increase oil production short of new leases on protected land.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Wrong. You guys have been twisting this daily here on CD. Russia wasn’t invading, bombing, and killing Ukrainians while Trump was in office so now there’s incentive to stop importing 800,000 barrels a day from them and giving them $2.4 billion per month while Biden brags about sending $1 billion to Ukraine.

We could open that pipeline to Canada back up along with those refineries this bozo admin shut down last year for the additional 10% we wouldn’t be getting from Russia.

But I don’t really care about their borders. I’m more concerned with ours and these traitor hypocrite politicians that pretend to care about Ukraine while ignoring our lack of border security and immigration law enforcement.
What refineries did Biden close?

The pipeline from Canada wasn't built when it was stopped, so there is nothing to reopen.

You can't stop oil imports on a dime. The tanker trips take weeks, and there are tankers from Russia already on the way to the West Coast. That oil is already paid for, so stopping it would make no difference. In addition, the Russian oil is partially owned by companies like Shell and Exxon, so the entire amount doesn't go to the Russian government oil companies.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
If Dems hadn't thrown our energy independence out the window the second Biden took office, there wouldn't be any need for "sacrifice".
Biden didn't stop the alleged independence. Economics and Covid did. Quit listening to Tucker Carlson. Biden hasn't shut down any current oil production.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:21 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
What happened to oil independence? Fracking? offshore in our waters?

Just not enough?
Oatmeal in the Oval happened to those things...

Old 03-02-2022, 08:23 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,048,028 times
If they're funding the attacks they sure aren't getting their money's worth. So much of that alleged war is staged and theatrics its ridiculous. But the Ukraine President is a former crisis actor, so go figure.
And Putin is so tight with our deep state that he's probably doing this as a favor them or they're giving him the Ukraine as a favor to him.
Either way, this bogus war has made Covid suddenly cease to exist.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:26 AM

10,830 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
What does "oil independence" mean, then?

If we import oil from foreign sources, that doesn't sound terribly "independent" to me.

I explained it in my paragraph above.

put simply, if before jan 21 2021 all countries denied entry to their ports such that no oil ships from here, moved, and we were forced to keep it, and if we in turn denied entrance to here, we would have had an excess of oil. we grew enough oil in our sovereign territories to supply our needs.

After Jan 21 2021, this is no longer true. thru strokes of pen, we threw this away as part of a back door deal with russia.

before jan 21 2021 we imported an exported oil or oil products because of logistics. cheaper transpo basically and the lunacy of cali. As cali shed refinery capacity, and put the choke on oil trains transiting the border, we would buy overseas product across the pacific for hawaii (which has none) our pacific naval and AF bases and of course, now cali.

when we discussed this before and it was posited by many that the us got NO russian oil, you insisted we got none, then a little. the reality of the (previous) number of 595Kbpd, almost 400Kbpd is in fact crude. the people in charge, eia, congress etc just refer to all the liquids as oil. but we do import, from russia finished products, bunker oil for ships, diesel for ships and stuff, gas for vehicles and stuff, and refinery base stocks for making certain 'things', which we all but outlawed the manufacture of in this country.

while we always had to supply pacific bases and hawaii with oil products - as none have refining except for hawaii which had 2 in 2016 and 1 now and it is closing. The current admin is shifting the supply of oil products to be solely russian for god knows why reason.

next thing we know, we will be told the switch to russian products for military bases will be because the new global alliance insists we close said bases. you heard it here first.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:27 AM

10,830 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
…but my gas stove is the real problem

Putin lover.... ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies