Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 11:13 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,317,016 times

Advertisements

It's amusing how everyone here is cheering on Ukraine with Russia as the evil bully meanwhile we were over invading Iraq and Afghanistan due to a staged terrorist attack back in the 2000's and even before because we simply wanted their oil. We've done our share of bullying over the last 75 years if you really look with an unbiased lens.

Both sides justify their response. I would argue with my bias that the US had better intentions than Russia, but did they? Can I believe what the media spoonfed me in my youth? I find myself questioning everything.

Without nukes, big countries like to bully small ones. Who's going to take on Russia with their nukes? How about some volunteers? Any sort of action is going to have to be done from within. Want to risk he retaliates and kills millions of Americans over a country of 40 million people thousands of miles away, one that itself is fairly corrupt and also a decaying culture just like Russia? Ukraine's population has declined from 50 million to 43 million since the fall of the USSR.. that doesn't happen in a healthy society and culture.

I just don't trust anybody in charge of anything anywhere on this planet at this point. Not in post covid society.

Last edited by sholomar; 03-03-2022 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 11:15 AM

2,612 posts, read 934,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperSpraySeasoning View Post
As a species, it’s insane the more I think about it. And we could all die just because a senior aged toddler on the other side of the world doesn’t get their way.
I agree. This concept that we are protected by the doctrine of "Mutually Assured Destruction" is absolutely nuts. People think it sounds so clever and when you arent at a time when it appears that it could happen then you think it sounds fine as long as it works. However, if you find that you are in a situation where someone may actually push the buttom, MAD doesnt sound as clever anymore. I would rather there were no nuclear weapons and we just focused on avoiding conventional war.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
It's amusing how everyone here is cheering on Ukraine with Russia as the evil bully meanwhile we were over invading Iraq and Afghanistan due to a staged terrorist attack back in the 2000's and even before because we simply wanted their oil. We've done our share of bullying over the last 75 years if you really look with an unbiased lens.

Both sides justify their response. I would argue with my bias that the US had better intentions than Russia, but did they? Can I believe what the media spoonfed me in my youth? I find myself questioning everything.

Without nukes, big countries like to bully small ones. Who's going to take on Russia with their nukes? How about some volunteers? Any sort of action is going to have to be done from within. Want to risk he retaliates and kills millions of Americans over a country of 40 million people thousands of miles away, one that itself is fairly corrupt and not all that dissimilar from mother Russia in many ways?
I dont like to use the term "we" when referring to the actions of the US government. The US government has mass murdered insane amounts of people in the middle east and I refuse to accept that I am in any way a part of that.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:24 AM

30,114 posts, read 18,717,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperSpraySeasoning View Post
As a species, it’s insane the more I think about it. And we could all die just because a senior aged toddler on the other side of the world doesn’t get their way.
I'm afraid it is a consequence of expected advances in physics and mathematics, which unfortunately are many times directed to weapons development.

Einstein's famous "E=mc squared" is simply a derivation of James Clerk Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism, which had been known for 50 years prior to Einstein's calculations. The funny thing is that any college sophomore in mathematics can arrive at his equation in about five minutes using Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism.

The genius was knowing to do it, not the difficulty of the calculations, which are not hard at all. Maxwell's equations, on the other hand, are unparalleled genius that is very difficult to replicate.

Einstein was brilliant in being able to "solve problems" first with mental pictures, and then apply mathematics. It is not his mathematics, but his genius INSIGHT to examine problems in a different way than anyone else had done prior.

With advances in physics and science, there will be even more terrible weapons in the future. Let's just hope they are never used!

Old 03-03-2022, 11:24 AM

18,740 posts, read 7,638,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
I agree. This concept that we are protected by the doctrine of "Mutually Assured Destruction" is absolutely nuts. People think it sounds so clever and when you arent at a time when it appears that it could happen then you think it sounds fine as long as it works. However, if you find that you are in a situation where someone may actually push the buttom, MAD doesnt sound as clever anymore. I would rather there were no nuclear weapons and we just focused on avoiding conventional war.
And your suggestion for a better way to avoid nuclear war - a way that WORKS - is what......??

Old 03-03-2022, 11:27 AM

22,674 posts, read 24,654,149 times
I don't worry too much about it, does no good

Somebody is going to eventually "set things off", just a matter of time.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:32 AM

2,058 posts, read 1,615,252 times
This film clip is a reasonably accurate military response of a pre-emptive attack. Military losses wouldn’t be as bad as they say at the end due to modernization.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPEBROvR9w

Old 03-03-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
And your suggestion for a better way to avoid nuclear war - a way that WORKS - is what......??
MAD only works until it doesnt work once. I would like to see nuclear weapons be disavowed by all nations. I am not saying that I expect that to happen anytime soon. One big issue is that the US keeps invading countries for no reason. The US hasnt attacked North Korea though. When you have a US in the world invading nation after nation, you cant expect nations to not pursue nuclear weapons.

Last edited by RoyaleWithCheese; 03-03-2022 at 11:53 AM..

Old 03-03-2022, 11:51 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,978,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Buy your cement blocks now. They’re flying off the shelves.
Maybe people who wondered what that weird trapdoor was in their backyard should investigate. They might have a ready made bomb shelter.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:32 PM

16,575 posts, read 10,683,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
MAD only works until it doesnt work once. I would like to see nuclear weapons be disavowed by all nations. I am not saying that I expect that to happen anytime soon. One big issue is that the US keeps invading countries for no reason. The US hasnt attacked North Korea though. When you have a US in the world invading nation after nation, you cant expect nations to not pursue nuclear weapons.
We've been tinkering with disarmament treaties for years now, yet there's still huge stockpiles of nuclear weapons out there. I agree with you that it would be great if the nations of the world all got rid of their nukes all at once. But it'll never happen, nor should it happen, as long as untrustworthy actors (e.g. Putin) continue to possess them. So we're stuck with Mutually Assured Destruction as the crazy, insane, MAD alternative. At least so far, it's worked. And it's the best of some decidedly poor options for keeping a nuclear peace. It reminds me of the Winston Churchill quote: "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies