Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 05:00 AM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Bottom line, if you wanted to avoid attention, calling the bank ahead of time, explaining who you are, not wishing to draw attention to yourself, and then scheduling a meeting to make a large withdrawal would be perfectly normal, routine, expected, etc.

As a millionaire who has an accountant/lawyer/finance manager for his bank errands anyway, I'd bet my next mortgage payment Coogler already knew that.

He wanted to create theater and drama so he could have some insta-cred and insta-relevance. So he did a Smollet-esque move with the hoodie, shades, note, etc to look shady, chose an amount he knew would get window flagged, then got his dream come true of having cops hassle the black man.

Anyone who cannot see a schemer running game hasn't been paying attention for the least 20 years.
It's either this, which just seems unlikely, I mean , why would he do this ? Or, just a huge misunderstanding. The teller thought something was off, did her job, as did the police. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 05:40 AM

4,658 posts, read 1,950,812 times
Really a bit of stupidity on every side, doesn't anybody think first anymore. This guy is a director likely intelligent and creative and he didn't think what this might look like. Heck if he were to direct or write such a scene about a bank robbery the crook would likely be dressed like he was. And the teller should have perhaps took a second before panic set in. It will be interesting to see if she had been robbed before.

Also I also find it a bit funny that this guy thinks as a director he is so famous that he would be swarmed and recognized in a bank. It's not like he's Chadwick Bossman(RIP) who might have had to worry about such things.

Old 03-11-2022, 06:36 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It's either this, which just seems unlikely, I mean , why would he do this ? Or, just a huge misunderstanding. The teller thought something was off, did her job, as did the police. It is what it is.
Yup. The bank teller who alerted the cops is still unapologetic for doing so, even now after the details have come out. She said something to the effect that it was his attire that made her suspicious, and she received an automated alert based on the withdrawal amount. She said they are trained to recognize signs, and that him wearing a hat and big shades made him suspicious.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bl...0YT?li=BBnb7Kz

Old 03-11-2022, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
You guys have too watch the youtube videos on this, it does a much better job giving context. The bank manager was involved.

The guy gave a weird note but then provided his ID and his bank card, input his pin number into the pad you have to use at BOA with his card inserted and everything checked out. The teller then went to the bank manager after confirming his ID, account, bank card, and pin number were in hand and checked out. The police were called after those steps were already taken.

In essence it was bank employees that saw a guy dressed weird and called the police even though he actually had everything needed to do a normal withdraw including ID and verified account info.

The most likely senario that happen is this is a small branch that is not use to customers asking for large sums of cash. It seems no one in the bank was comfortable with a request for a large sum of cash from the teller line.
Good point, but that’s why I think if Coogler was aware enough to try and be discreet, he should have also been aware enough to know that he was going to draw lots of suspicion. I definitely think he should have known better, and should have either pre-arranged the withdrawal or simply spoken to one of the office managers first. Then they could have easily handled the discreet withdrawal, without him needing to pass a handwritten note and make himself look super suspicious.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:27 AM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
As a retired Banker, I dealt with clients taking out large sums of money many times over the years.

Banks usually don't have more than $500,000 in their vaults and that's high, could be more like $250,000 at a time. Therefore, anyone who requests a large withdrawal will need to request the money be ordered with the weekly shipment from the Money Center. Just about every client I dealt with in this situation will also mention the withdrawal to the Banker before hand because in most cases they want $100 bills, so it needs to be ordered.

Asking that the teller count the money quietly is normal. Writing it on a note is not. Usually the client is brought to a Safe Deposit room so they can re-count the money. If a Safe Deposit room isn't available, then an room or cubicle off to the side will work.

He handled his requested totally wrong.

Not even though the teller didn't know him, she panic and created what could have been a worse situation. Smart for him to listen to the cops until this situation was realized that it wasn't a bank robbery. Another person might have done something stupid and gotten himself killed when being handcuffed.

Being retired now, I know that the tellers don't know me when I go in to get money since it's a new branch, so I automatically hand them my DL for ID with a withdrawal slip or check, plus never hand a teller a note.

There were errors on both sides of this one.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:30 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Oh. I see the problem.

The note was written on the section of the slip that said "Do not write in this area".

But seriously...he comes in the bank with a hat, sunglasses, mask, and a baggy hoodie. Hands the teller a note saying that they want to withdraw 12,000 from the account. She goes to enter the information in the computer and it comes up with an alert. Yea, I am sure that happens every day.

When you want to withdraw money from a teller, I don't give them a note. I give them a withdrawal slip, check..etc.

The teller was described as a Pregnant Black Woman, but don't be surprised if there is an attempt to make this about race. I hope that every officer that interacted with them was black, and I feel for any white cop that happened to be there because he also apparently asked for all of the badge numbers of the cops that were there.
The bank teller and manager seem like morons. What bank robber shows ID and withdraws money from his own account?

Any transaction over $10,000 is probably flagged because it requires a Currency Transaction Report be sent to the Treasury Dept. Hard to believe a teller/manager wouldn't know that.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Oh. I see the problem.

The note was written on the section of the slip that said "Do not write in this area".

But seriously...he comes in the bank with a hat, sunglasses, mask, and a baggy hoodie. Hands the teller a note saying that they want to withdraw 12,000 from the account. She goes to enter the information in the computer and it comes up with an alert. Yea, I am sure that happens every day.

When you want to withdraw money from a teller, I don't give them a note. I give them a withdrawal slip, check..etc.

The teller was described as a Pregnant Black Woman, but don't be surprised if there is an attempt to make this about race. I hope that every officer that interacted with them was black, and I feel for any white cop that happened to be there because he also apparently asked for all of the badge numbers of the cops that were there.
In the video footage, it shows that at least the initial cop that interacted with him was black. Once they got outside, I believe it was one Latino officer, and 2 black officers interacting with him.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:01 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,665,707 times
CNN? Have to laugh, always looking to stoke the fire of racism right out of the playbook of the left.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:09 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Unfortunate that this happened to him, but, even during COVID, who goes up to a bank teller and asks for money with essentially the better part of their face obscured? Masks, I can see. But the large sunglasses was very suspicious-looking. I can't say that I blame the bank teller for calling the police.

That he had the proper account information is of no difference as it could have stolen it from the actual account holder as far as the teller knew.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:36 AM

19,621 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Unfortunate that this happened to him, but, even during COVID, who goes up to a bank teller and asks for money with essentially the better part of their face obscured? Masks, I can see. But the large sunglasses was very suspicious-looking. I can't say that I blame the bank teller for calling the police.

That he had the proper account information is of no difference as it could have stolen it from the actual account holder as far as the teller knew.
He had his ID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies