Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 09:25 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
It's basically obvious to anyone who has shopped a car over the years but car dealers are pressuring customers to use loans and not cash more than ever. They're more open about it now.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/car-dea...an-11646113637

Keep in mind third party money helps fester price inflation and in a time when the driving public is being coerced into buying an electric car at double the price this can become an even bigger issue.

Also note auto loan debt is reaching all time highs and many find themselves underwater on their car purchase.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-45-00...ns-11573295400
You want a loan on the car, not to pay cash. Paying 2 to 4% on a 5 year loan is much more preferable than having your cash depreciate at 7%+ inflation rate (and accelerating). If the dollar completely collapses that car becomes free
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 09:26 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Simple solution: don’t buy from car dealers. Let someone else take the depreciation hit, buy used, pay cash. It’s been a winning strategy for me for 30+ years. On the rare occasion I’ve bought a new car from a dealer, I’ve regretted it every single time.
Right now the difference between buying new and used is the least it has been in my 30+ years of car ownership.

Hell, my wife sold her Subaru Outback ~10 mos after she leased it and had positive equity ($0 down when she signed the lease).

Old 03-11-2022, 09:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
It's basically obvious to anyone who has shopped a car over the years but car dealers are pressuring customers to use loans and not cash more than ever. They're more open about it now.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/car-dea...an-11646113637

Keep in mind third party money helps fester price inflation and in a time when the driving public is being coerced into buying an electric car at double the price this can become an even bigger issue.

Also note auto loan debt is reaching all time highs and many find themselves underwater on their car purchase.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-45-00...ns-11573295400
Been this way as long as I recall.

Reportedly, about 31% of new cars are leased. Of the remaining inventory, 81% of outright purchases are financed.

I have always paid cash and bought used with low mileage. While I could appreciate the dealer’s motivation, I never felt coerced.

Consumers like shiny new things. As I understand it the average price of a new car is now about $47,000.
Some people use home equity lines of credit to fund new car purchases so the interest is deductible.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:29 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,001,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
I'm glad I bought before the sh9t hit the fan. KBB also has my car worth more than what I paid for it - I guess it also helps that it's an extremely low mileage car. I'm paying off my 0% loan as slowly as possible.
KBB value mean nothing. No dealer uses KBB. KBB neither sells not buys vehicles so what they say it's worth holds no weight. Any dealership would tell you that.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:30 AM

4,324 posts, read 7,234,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You want a loan on the car, not to pay cash. Paying 2 to 4% on a 5 year loan is much more preferable than having your cash depreciate at 7%+ inflation rate (and accelerating). If the dollar completely collapses that car becomes free
That's the good news. The bad news is that cash you saved... isn't worth anything, either.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:31 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,001,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
New cars are a horrible investment even without the inflated prices. If you can keep your ego in check and buy a vehicle a little older. You can keep it for a couple years and get pretty much what you paid for it like I always do. And pay cash private party. Stay away from the dealers. Trick is not overpaying in the first place. I financed my first 3 cars new. And did the math on how much money I wasted. Never again.
I don't buy new cars as an investment. I buy them because I like them and want one. Everything you buy isn't an investment. I don't go buy a new TV as an investment. I don't like getting other peoples problem.

I buy new for the warranty and knowing I'm the first and only one to drive it like a bat out of heck.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:35 AM

6,019 posts, read 2,840,559 times
The reason automobiles are so expensive is due to financing. Most people only care about the monthly payment, not the total price. So, they can raise the total price and extend the number of payments, and most people wouldn't bat an eye. If more people paid cash, the total price would be all that matters. Most people wouldn't be able to afford a $50,000 SUV, so they'd have to lower the price to which enough people could afford it, and the automobile companies could still make a profit.

Of course, during these times, the ridiculous prices are caused by shortages and inflation. But, cars were already expensive before Covid-19.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:37 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
If the dollar completely collapsed, and you still owe on the loan, the car can be repossessed, so not "free" until it is paid off. The car is not yours until it is wholly paid for.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:41 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Been this way as long as I recall.

Reportedly, about 31% of new cars are leased. Of the remaining inventory, 81% of outright purchases are financed.

I have always paid cash and bought used with low mileage. While I could appreciate the dealer’s motivation, I never felt coerced.

Consumers like shiny new things. As I understand it the average price of a new car is now about $47,000.
Some people use home equity lines of credit to fund new car purchases so the interest is deductible.
Not sure that home equity trick works for most people anymore, since the SALT deductions changed and the standard deduction increased.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:43 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
That's the good news. The bad news is that cash you saved... isn't worth anything, either.
That cash should have gone into productive assets by that point. Nobody should be holding cash right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
If the dollar completely collapsed, and you still owe on the loan, the car can be repossessed, so not "free" until it is paid off. The car is not yours until it is wholly paid for.
In a Venezuelan or Zimbaubwaean type currency collapse, $1 can turn into 1 cent or much much lower. So if you owe $10,000 on the loan, you just need to work the equivalent of $100 to pay off the whole thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies