Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 11:27 AM

6,023 posts, read 2,843,063 times

Advertisements

I see EV's as disposable, which is worse for the environment than what we have currently, in my opinion. Who's going to buy a ten year old EV with failing batteries? How are the poor going to afford transportation when an EV is junk after ten years?

Of course, if we stopped using ethanol in our gasoline, we could cut tailpipe emissions by at least 24%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 11:27 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,794 times
EV's have been around for over 100 years, there not new. The problems EV's have to overcome are very significant.

Just a few:

Battery replacement: Very expensive and destroys the resale.

Charging stations for auto's parked on the street and in apartment lots/structures with no charging stations. This will be a monumental task installing millions of chargers.

Time it takes to recharge. It takes a lot longer than the 2 minutes it takes to fill up my gas tank.

Who in the right mind would travel any long distance in an EV, when it takes a very long time to charge.

Does this country have energy capacity to charge 200 millions vehicles?

Does the earth have enough lithium, rare earth materials to build perhaps a billion EV's, not sure.

Do we trade one problem, which is oil, for another problems which is mining the above in troubled parts of the world.

The cost needs to come down from 50K to a reasonable price for middle class to afford.

This push for EV's is not coming from the consumer. It is top down heavy on a class of people, who seem to have no say in the matter. Joseph Goebblels is noted for having a famous saying which is "Keep telling people the same lie over and over and eventually they will accept it as truth". Now it could be put as the elites telling us "EV's will be the future if you like it or not". Keep saying this over and over and people will accept it as the truth, regardless of any reasonable argument.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 03-12-2022 at 11:43 AM..

Old 03-12-2022, 11:28 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
One of my biggest gripes with Tesla is the UI. A giant screen is incredibly distracting and difficult to use while driving. Other than that, they could learn a thing or two about chassis tuning and step it up a bit in the area of interior build quality/luxury. Parts availability is concerning as well.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:29 AM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,417 times
Location Phoenix: 110+ degrees, stuck in major traffic, air-conditioning running full blast, batteries discharging fast.
What are you going to do?

Old 03-12-2022, 11:33 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
When EVs are superior to ICE cars and cheaper, and not ugly, I'll buy one.

Fuel source has ZERO bearing on my decision.
I'll go along with the ugly. What is it with the gaudy wrap around front end lighting anyway? And Tesla's pickup truck. OMG! Ain't anyone who ever put on a pair of jeans gonna be caught dead in one of those. The Nikola Badger is Ok, but again, spare the neon.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:36 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
TSLA is basically a computer on wheel,thats why the yuppies love it so much and all that software and the big screen and the music and games .
But with software comes software bugs,latest is phantom braking.

And I sure do not want software updates while I AM driving to fix some of its software problems.
There will be affordable EVs ,NIO and XPENG are working on one now,there is another one which is Kandi,it was selling for $10K at one time with rebates.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:37 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
there wil be more charging stations,I would think where there is gas station,someday there would be charging stations same or close to it.
I just do not want all the softwares,just EV battery is fine.
One advantage of EV vs ICE is less parts.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:37 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
EV's have been around for over 100 years, there are not new. The problems EV's have to overcome are very significant.

Just a few:

Battery replacement: Very expensive and destroys the resale.

Charging stations for auto's parked on the street and in apartment lots/structures with no charging stations. This will be a monumental task installing millions of chargers.

Time it takes to recharge. It takes a lot longer than the 2 minutes it takes to fill up my gas tank.

Who in the right mind would travel any long distance in an EV, when it takes a very long time to charge.

Does this country have energy capacity to charge 200 millions vehicles?

Does the earth have enough lithium, rare earth materials to build perhaps a billion EV's, not sure.

Do we trade one problem, which is oil, for another problems which is mining the above in troubled parts of the world.

The cost needs to come down from 50K to a reasonable price for middle class to afford.

This push for EV's is not coming from the consumer. It is top down heavy on the a class of people, who seem to have no say in the matter. Joseph Goebblels is noted for having a famous saying which is "Keep telling people the same lie over and over and eventually they will accept it as truth". Now it could be put as the elites telling us "EV's will be the future is you like it or not". Keep saying this over and over and people will accept it as the truth, regardless of any reasonable argument.
All these problems can be solved by the benevolent democrats with the taxpayers money.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:39 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Pro's or Cons it will really depend on what a persons driving needs are, availability of fuel types where they live and the cost of buying a new car for now. Electrics can serve many people needs and once they are a factor in the resale market then marketability can really be measured.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:40 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
When are the airlines going E? When they all do I’ll reconsider.
Why? Do you fly your own plane to work everyday? Fly to the grocery store or mall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies