Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 10:18 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

OK, this is a raging debate so lets examine things a bit. Starting with electric what are the pros there? One of my sons buddies works for Tesla. So of course he has one of their rigs. and knows all about how it works. We got to talking about this predicted continental shift supposedly coming to EVs and it was quite interesting. The EV drive train is actually pretty simple. There's no "transmission" per se like in a gas outfit. No drive lines U joints differentials etc. Everything is a direct connection to the motor which is just a big electric turbine pretty much. Power transfer to the wheels is instantaneous and his rig do haul ass. Electricity is the most efficient source of giddy yap. It's 100% efficient at point of use so there's no byproducts as in a gas motor. OK, that's cool.

The direct drive connection to the motor and that instantaneous power transfer has no acceleration lag time like gas. And it's just one gear. There's no shifting required. You don't feel the shifting up and down from a transmission like a gas rig. And there's gobs of power. It's kinda ugly to my eye. A cherry 69 Camaro it is not. But it works. Quite well. OK on to cons.

It's a maintenance nightmare. You can't shade tree mechanic the thing if something goes sideways. Any problems you will have are going to be computer related. It's basically a rolling go fast conglomeration of super high tech electronics. Personally that makes me nervous. I have to think "what if." A what if like on Hwy 50 twixt here and Utah and suddenly everything just goes dark and it's 0200 middle of Winter. The problem may be simple like a chip or fuse or it may be something bigger like a circuit board. Still not something the most of folks can get going again to limp into Ely.

Plug in stations are getting more common but there are a lot of places I go that don't even have cell service or internet. LOL, ask the folks out there where a EV charging station might be handy and you'll get a blank "huh" stare. And just how much new infrastructure is it going to take should some miracle happen and we could all afford an EV? They are way out of my price range. So there's a start on EV pros and cons.

On to gas or diesel. Tried and true technology. Brand new rigs are a maintenance nightmare and are expensive too. I don't and never will again drive a brand new truck or car unless I hit the Mega Bucks jackpot. But, my 20 year old mid size Dodge Dakota is a breeze to work on parts are not overly expensive it's tough reliable and aside from a total motor or transmission swap there's nothing that might go wrong with it I can't fix in a weekend. Been there done that. If I'm going off road I can carry extra parts and fuel and I go WAY off road regular. I haven't seen an EV yet that I would take out to Roan valley pulling a horse trailer cuz ther's a point that's the only way you can go any further. And you won't be using your phone.

Fuel now. LOL, I guess the Dem plan of cutting us of gas cold turkey is going to have some serious withdrawal symptoms. The saddle got put before the horse there. And our military is not going to be going EV green anytime soon either. Combat aircraft ships and land rigs run on liquified dino. End of line. I'm going to keep it simple and just say advantage petroleum on this debate. That's where I stand. So, the smoking lamp is lit and the discussion open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 10:45 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
The free market will decide in the end...eventually electric will probably take over but that's 10-20 years away yet. It's not going to happen very fast unless they make them affordable. The trickle down effect will eventually occur.

EV pros...no exhaust noise, less moving parts that could break, cheaper to operate

Cons.. batteries range isn't the best yet, they are expensive to replace if they go bad, don't work so well in cold weather, have to sit and wait for a charge, even if it's only 20 minutes...an 8.5 hour drive could turn into 10 hours.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:47 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
There is nothing to discuss. EVs are the future and that future is coming at us fast - really fast. At my age, I doubt I will ever own one, but my kids will and by the time the grands are big, that is all there will be on the roads by and large. They will laugh at the old people and those silly arguments they made against EVs, just like we did at our grandparents against the horseless carriage.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:52 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
There's no debate.

Nearly all makers are going nearly all EV, so consumers won't have a choice soon.

As if modern ICEs aren't rolling computers either.

95% of consumers give zero craps about all of the technical stuff. They want to get in a car and go from point A to B. EV = no oil changes, no transmission fluid changes, no spark plug changes, no more engine maintenance. Never having to waste time and money on engine maintenance sounds fantastic to me. 95% of car use is local. People have way too much charge anxiety.

Agree, if there's something wrong with the battery, there's nothing you can do to self fix it unless you know what you're doing..most EVs will.come with battery warranties though. Companies will have to be competitive wrt battery warranties.

We can keep dragging our feet all we want, but in the end the market is working in its own way. All makers are going EV. People never thought we'd have cellphones in our hand 10000x more powerful than giant computers in the 80s either.

On price, agree, EVs are expensive, but the average car sold now is most $45 anyway, which is what EVs run.. a Chevy Bolt is about $30k and comes with free installation of the charger at home IIRC. Prices will eventually come down as legacy makers fit their production lines for EVs.

Last edited by fibonacci; 03-12-2022 at 11:01 AM..

Old 03-12-2022, 10:53 AM

4,508 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Pros for ev - it can technically be powered by odd things such as nuclear power. The amount of infrastructure needed to deliver the energy is extremely low compared to gas. So large amounts of manpower released to other jobs.

Cons - I don’t think we make enough power or enough batteries for all to use it. You can’t trust our gov and extended fascist mega corporate conglomerate for **** and they’re wanting it.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:03 AM

8,336 posts, read 2,965,021 times
When are the airlines going E? When they all do I’ll reconsider.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:06 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
When EVs are superior to ICE cars and cheaper, and not ugly, I'll buy one.

Fuel source has ZERO bearing on my decision.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:08 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Modern cars are like computers. Some critters got into my wifes 2017 Grand Cherokee and it wouldn't start. There are sensors sensors sensors and the link was broken so no go. $2500 later it is working again. I am a shade tree mechanic and I couldn't figure it out.

EV's are the same way. They are pretty basic mechanically but if one fuse or board pops they will need to be towed.

As for the OP's scenario of running out of a charge in the middle of a lonesome road, a gas car just needs a gallon or 2 of gas to get you going but an EV will require a generator or a tow to a charging station.

What really gets me is the cost of the EV's and then the secondary market. Few of us can afford a new $50,000+ EV but what happens to the guy that wants to buy a 10 year old EV but the batteries are shot and the cost to replace them is $10,000+ ? Suddenly that $20,000 used car is $30,000 if you want any kind of range like the new batteries would provide.

There is much to consider with the coming of EV's and what we really need is for the market to decide, the consumer should have the final say in that NOT some Politicians mandate that will force us to buy OR a Politicians supplement to the EV industry that allows them to push them out for less... For now.

Like the OP said, the politicians in their rush to the EV's and supposedly saving the climate really are putting the cart before the horse.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:22 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Modern cars are like computers. Some critters got into my wifes 2017 Grand Cherokee and it wouldn't start. There are sensors sensors sensors and the link was broken so no go. $2500 later it is working again. I am a shade tree mechanic and I couldn't figure it out.

EV's are the same way. They are pretty basic mechanically but if one fuse or board pops they will need to be towed.

As for the OP's scenario of running out of a charge in the middle of a lonesome road, a gas car just needs a gallon or 2 of gas to get you going but an EV will require a generator or a tow to a charging station.

What really gets me is the cost of the EV's and then the secondary market. Few of us can afford a new $50,000+ EV but what happens to the guy that wants to buy a 10 year old EV but the batteries are shot and the cost to replace them is $10,000+ ? Suddenly that $20,000 used car is $30,000 if you want any kind of range like the new batteries would provide.

There is much to consider with the coming of EV's and what we really need is for the market to decide, the consumer should have the final say in that NOT some Politicians mandate that will force us to buy OR a Politicians supplement to the EV industry that allows them to push them out for less... For now.

Like the OP said, the politicians in their rush to the EV's and supposedly saving the climate really are putting the cart before the horse.
You also have no choice but to tow them on a flatbed when the battery dies or they breakdown. Those aren't always readily available for emergency roadside service.

If you want to tow something with an EV, good luck with that too.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ctric-vehicle/

Like you said: too much cart before the horse at this time.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:26 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
When EVs are superior to ICE cars and cheaper, and not ugly, I'll buy one.

Fuel source has ZERO bearing on my decision.
This is my perspective.

For as much talk as there is about the Chevy Bolt or Nissan Leaf, I don’t want to drive around in a little car. I’ll be more interested when there are more non-ugly trucks and SUVs available and when range, towing, and charging issues are worked out. The F150 lightning and the future Jeep vehicles are what I’m most interested in — would never consider Rivian due to that god-awful front headlight and would never consider the Cybertruck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies