Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2022, 09:29 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,040,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Based on an education oriented symposium I attended last year at minimum schools in these states or specific districts within them do:
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Maine
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • New Jersey
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin
  • DC
I doubt this is the full list, as this was not presented in a session specifically addressing sex education. I am also sure there are teachers all over the nation who take it upon themselves to teach it whether it’s in the authorized curriculum or not.
Ah, ok. Parents can still opt out of it though. That's their right. Honestly, I wish it was taught in catholic schools. Growing up there were quite a few pregnant girls because no one knew anything about sex. It was a taboo subject and I guess still is.

Old 03-14-2022, 05:47 AM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Off the top of my head?

Single moms are featured in I Love You Forever, GoodNight Moon, Invisible String, Are You My Mother, Jack and the Beanstalk, and other innumerable classic children's stories.

You have no idea, as I've said before, what I do for children, and children's literacy.

I toyed with sending you a private message of who I am, but then, no. Suffice it say I am involved with children, and children's literacy.

But what's the point.
Of your list only Jack and the Beanstalk, whose mother is a poor widow, is specifically about a single mother. I will grant that while The Invisible String was originally intended to address missing mom while she is at work, not death or divorce, it is very good book for a child who has recently lost access to a parent for whatever reason. There are many, many books where no father is mentioned, but that does not mean it’s about a single mother, which is what you have convoluted into your list. That is not to say they don’t exist, because they certainly do, they just tend not to be books as widely read. The Amber Brown series is one of the very few mainstream series that does specifically feature a single mother where it is clearly not due to her being a widow.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:02 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
There is ONE PHRASE in that very long piece of legislation that says primary kids shouldn't have sex education.

ONE PHRASE.

That's not what this fight is about.

Disney didn't call DeSantis and say hey, we want kids to have sex education in kindergarten.

This is bigger. Maybe read this thread? Or a longer article about this situation?

This is about silencing teens, and silencing teachers and staff, and leaving them afraid to reach out in support of a possibly gay/transgender/struggling teen.

Perhaps you read and familiarize yourself with what is actually in that law?

Old 03-14-2022, 06:14 AM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Ah, ok. Parents can still opt out of it though. That's their right. Honestly, I wish it was taught in catholic schools. Growing up there were quite a few pregnant girls because no one knew anything about sex. It was a taboo subject and I guess still is.
It is not high school/middle school sex education that addresses reproduction and birth control that this bill addresses or that I was referring to in that list. It is sex education in children under 5th or 6th grade, particularly when the teacher creates their own “curriculum”.

I say this as a person who works with student teachers, unfortunately there needs to be laws written to specifically forbid teachers from teaching or discussing sexually oriented topics without specific parental permission or that is not part of published curriculum readily available for public scrutiny. For the overwhelming majority of children the types of education addressed in the law are not only just developmentally inappropriate, but harmful. For the rare children that need to have such a topic addressed they should be sent to the school counselor, preferably one who is actually trained to do so. Most teachers who decide they want to teach or discuss with children sexually related topics, I am sorry to say, are the very ones that shouldn’t because they either don’t understand what’s developmentally appropriate, they don’t even know what they are talking about, or they have an agenda. Also what must be considered is that in the worst case scenario they are grooming kids, and yes it has happened. These types of laws are needed so that teachers who engage inappropriate sexually related education against school and/or parental wishes can be fired.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:25 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Well, I'm having to guess here, Disney cares about teens who are exploring their belief that they may be nonbinary, or gay, and Disney cares a great deal about Hollywood and their movie business.

And they have a significant business interest in Florida that is passing far right wing legislation that will require a teacher to call a parent if they suspect the teen might be having questions about their sexual orientation.
this legislation has nothing to do with teens and is not 'far right wing'.

you're shooting blanks again.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:29 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
It amazes me how so many folks can't see the forest for the trees. The pendulum swings BOTH ways! When one side pushes it further left, it will AUTOMATICALLY swing further RIGHT... DUH!

You see it in Voting legislation.
You see it in Abortion legislation.
You see it in LGBTQ legislation...

Not rocket science, so why the shock and rage??

People are STUPID!

Old 03-14-2022, 07:23 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It is not high school/middle school sex education that addresses reproduction and birth control that this bill addresses or that I was referring to in that list. It is sex education in children under 5th or 6th grade, particularly when the teacher creates their own “curriculum”.

I say this as a person who works with student teachers, unfortunately there needs to be laws written to specifically forbid teachers from teaching or discussing sexually oriented topics without specific parental permission or that is not part of published curriculum readily available for public scrutiny. For the overwhelming majority of children the types of education addressed in the law are not only just developmentally inappropriate, but harmful. For the rare children that need to have such a topic addressed they should be sent to the school counselor, preferably one who is actually trained to do so. Most teachers who decide they want to teach or discuss with children sexually related topics, I am sorry to say, are the very ones that shouldn’t because they either don’t understand what’s developmentally appropriate, they don’t even know what they are talking about, or they have an agenda. Also what must be considered is that in the worst case scenario they are grooming kids, and yes it has happened. These types of laws are needed so that teachers who engage inappropriate sexually related education against school and/or parental wishes can be fired.
I'm glad a woman is laying it out so clearly for them. Thank you.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:27 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDEP0JGW3c8&t=214s

Old 03-14-2022, 08:16 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I hope people take the time to watch it. That is, if YouTube is an "approved source" in their eyes.

The foot in the door for pedo and destruction of innocence has ALWAYS been LGBTQ (NAMBLA has been around for decades, and there is nary a peep about them now, just business as usual).

Hiding behind love and tolerance and feel good unity lurks a much darker agenda. And I'd guess that a lot of people truly are NOT aware of it. They don't understand it and are mere pawns in the larger picture. But the larger picture is there.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:05 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times
meanwhile, in other schools and states, this is what is being "taught"

very on topic:

https://twitter.com/libsoftiktok/sta...36746821849094

somewhat on topic

https://twitter.com/libsoftiktok/sta...90160167555072

https://twitter.com/libsoftiktok/sta...82118494146571
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies