Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2022, 11:19 AM

18,448 posts, read 8,275,501 times

Advertisements

they might could make this fly.....if it wasn't exactly the same way pedophiles groom children...by normalizing it

Old 03-20-2022, 11:28 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Sure when you misrepresent what a bill is for or gin up fears about non-existent problems.

DeSantis might as well push through a bill that requires FL schools to keep gators, palmetto bugs and/or black bears off school property, alert parents any time it happens and their children are robbed of their innocence. Make sure they can sue as well if school doesn't keep these critters off campus.

Oh wait, those things aren't happening; schools like most other FL orgs and citizens probably already take precautions against such things and in the rare event they happen due to a schools negligence there are already mechanisms in place for parents to seek remedies or sue.
The best legislation is forward looking to prevent illegal, or in this case illicit behaviors, while at the same time re-enforcing parental rights and normal behaviors. Grooming or indoctrination of children is flat out wrong. Everyone knows that, especially parents.

Old 03-20-2022, 11:28 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I think a big part of their opposition is the latter.
The issue isn't about talking about sex with young children, because that is not happening in FL schools. Sex ed starts much later than that as prescribed by standards given to the schools by FL state board of ed.

The bill is about discussing/instructing about gender id or sexual orientation.

People who don't support it are not limited to one reason for that lack of support.

I'm a life long Republican. I do not support DeSantis. I also don't support ignorance, bigotry and things I think harm people or deny their civil rights/personal freedoms.

I dont support public school systems turning out ignorant/intolerant citizens that employers have to retrain to protect themselves from lawsuits.

Old 03-20-2022, 11:29 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
they might could make this fly.....if it wasn't exactly the same way pedophiles groom children...by normalizing it
Correct.

Old 03-20-2022, 11:34 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
For many girls in the developed world, puberty is coming earlier than ever before, with studies showing that, on average, puberty is now starting for girls at around 10 years old - at least five years earlier than a century ago.

They're also starting breast development earlier, too - which is the scientific start of puberty. A 2013 longitudinal study showed that, in the US, girls on average start growing breasts at 8.8 years of age…

https://www.sciencealert.com/girls-a...g-term-effects
if you had said "Black girls", then you'd have provided the information accurately. Other races start 1/2 to ~1 year later.

Regardless, thanks for the more up-to-date information. And as I said, there's nothing wrong with schools providing this info to parents of girls so they current info and can appropriately begin the conversation earlier.

Old 03-20-2022, 11:38 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
That is an outlier, not the norm. You progressive Dems have a problem with forcing acceptance on the majority and that is wrong. Just because an 8 year old girl is a freak of nature in development and has entered puberty and developed feelings towards the opposite/sane sex doesn’t condone bringing up that topic to the rest of the children. Have a professional school counselor speak with the child, or better yet the parents.
I wish you'd take 5 minutes to read that article I linked above. The "developing breasts" precedes the "OMG I'm gonna die I'm bleeding from my peepee!" by years, not weeks.

Old 03-20-2022, 11:47 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
this is old - 1999 - but an excellent article. should be updated because I'm sure it's changed/gotten even earlier, but still good info.

https://www.contemporaryobgyn.net/vi...physical-signs

so imagine if a scientific article like this was provided to the parents of girls beginning in say 3rd grade (8 yo). Not to the girl to give to the parents. Directly to the parents.
For the life of me, I just can't fathom this topic as being totally in the realm of the teachers/school personnel to the deliberate exclusion of the parents. It's the parents' responsibility to see that their children are educated in this ( in an age appropriate way when the time presents itself), and other relevant topics. If I recall, schools used to present sex education classes ( often as a part of a biology class in high school) and the parents were notified beforehand , informed about the details, and asked
to sign a permission form prior to the class. Such a class was looked on favorably by parents who weren't comfortable with discussing the topic with their children, and even for those who were, such a class kind of filled in the gaps in parent-provided information, something like that.

I don't recall topics like gender fluidity, LGBTQ issues being included when we had sex education in high school ( would have been around the time the dinosaurs roamed the earth and people didn't talk about it, or even when my kids were growing up in the 1980's and 1990's, but it's out there so much these days these topics would of necessity have to be included in any discussion of sex education to kids. That makes the topic much more complicated, IMO, but still does not justify excluding the parents from the process.

I recall my own daughter, at age 8, asking me out of the blue, "mom, do you have your period"? We were headed somewhere in the car and I almost drove off the road I was so surprised by the question. But I asked her, "do you know what that even is?", and her answer made it obvious she did. So I figured, "the talk" ( as we called it) starts here, and I explained the period in the perspective of the monthly cycle, preparation for pregnancy, and what happens if pregnancy doesn't happen. She asked intelligent questions, seemed to understand what I was saying, and was satisfied with that for that time. The questions and details about how the baby got there and the role of the male in the process came later ( maybe a year or so), but I always waited till she asked about it, as that's when she was interested and would listen. I always felt privileged and lucky that she asked me, listened, and it was a real dialogue between us. I count those talks, and my daughter's interaction with me at the time, one of my most treasured memories of motherhood. There are many others, of course, but those memories are up there
for me.

Old 03-20-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The best legislation is forward looking to prevent illegal, or in this case illicit behaviors, while at the same time re-enforcing parental rights and normal behaviors. Grooming or indoctrination of children is flat out wrong. Everyone knows that, especially parents.
One of my granddaughters was indoctrinated by her school that smoking cigarettes is a bad, bad, thing. Unfortunately, the teacher neglected to distinguish between smoking yourself vs telling adults its bad lol. Who knows? Maybe she told the kids to ask all smoking adults not to smoke.

Her parents didn't march to the school, demand a bill be passed to teach her correctly or make a scene harassing people at a school board meeting.

We had to reeducate her that despite what her teacher said it is not ok to walk up to adults smoking in public that she doesn't even know and meddle in their business. We also had to reeducate her that it is not ok to lecture adult relatives who still smoke and tell them they can't or shouldn't smoke.

You can pass a million bills on everything under the sun that schools teach and if you care about your child's education you are still going to have to do clean up behind teachers from time to time.

You keep using the word illicit. Not sure what you mean unless its immoral. Can you explain what you mean?

Old 03-20-2022, 12:05 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
One of my granddaughters was indoctrinated by her school that smoking cigarettes is a bad, bad, thing. Unfortunately, the teacher neglected to distinguish between smoking yourself vs telling adults its bad lol. Who knows? Maybe she told the kids to ask all smoking adults not to smoke.

Her parents didn't march to the school, demand a bill be passed to teach her correctly or make a scene harassing people at a school board meeting.

We had to reeducate her that despite what her teacher said it is not ok to walk up to adults smoking in public that she doesn't even know and meddle in their business. We also had to reeducate her that it is not ok to lecture adult relatives who still smoke and tell them they can't or shouldn't smoke.

You can pass a million bills on everything under the sun that schools teach and if you care about your child's education you are still going to have to do clean up behind teachers from time to time.

You keep using the word illicit. Not sure what you mean unless its immoral. Can you explain what you mean?
Was the teacher telling her to ask adults about their sex lives? Or telling her she could be boy? Or exhibiting other age inappropriate and pedophilia like grooming behaviors?

It is age appropriate to tell kids not to smoke. It is not age appropriate to discuss 694y5q98y59q83y5 genders with them.

So many dumb adults out there. Ready to pat themselves on the back while they groom and sex-ify kids because ... LGBTQ and progressiveness!! YAY!!

And comparing sex with cigarettes.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
This is the kind of sentiment that bigots have historically used to discriminate against the LGBTQ community.

Florida has a long, sordid and particularly ugly history in this arena.

The frequently promoted belief that gay people and/or transgendered people are all pedophiles is hateful, wrong and bigoted. That they exist solely to recruit other people, especially children into their ranks is ignorant and ludicrous.

Het men abuse children also. What's next shall we pass a forward looking law that prevents them from teaching young children or any children for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies