Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 08:59 AM

4,653 posts, read 1,947,611 times

Advertisements

both and neither. they are a business and they seek to maximize profit. ITs just that instead of selling widgets they sell lifesaving medications. But we must never forget money is their primary concern as a business. And like any business you weigh the negatives vs the positives of products which you release. In their case this can involve side effects, effectiveness and death which cause income loss to effectiveness and profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 09:06 AM

2,284 posts, read 636,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I wouldn't know. I don't need any prescription medications, so my doctor and I don't discuss them.

However, it's no secret that statins are dangerous drugs. You're not telling anyone what they already don't know.
Statins are some of the most profitable medications. So obviously the average Doc is not aware of that study.

Take Pfizer's Lipitor (atorvastatin) :

Quote:
None of the current 10 top selling drugs has yet come close to generating the $141bn of revenues racked up over its lifetime by Lipitor for US drug giant Pfizer, according to Simon King, executive editor of FirstWord Pharma.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...tWord%20Pharma.

And that's one of many. In all, Statins have made (T)rillions of dollars, yet seem to take more years off their patients lives than add.

In other words, patients are paying for drugs that are causing them to feel 'unwell' and die earlier.

What kind of evil would you say that is?

And did you take Pfizer's vaccine?

Old 03-14-2022, 09:10 AM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
Better living? By all accounts, Americans are less healthy than before. Metabolic and autoimmune disorders have grown exponentially.

A lot of things that are the cornerstones of modern medicine are being proven false. Take the notion that lowering "bad" (LDL) cholesterol is the path to reducing cardiovascular disease. We have a whole host of drugs known as 'statins' for this that people take to reduce their cholesterol. Problem is, they really don't work.

https://ebm.bmj.com/content/26/6/271.full

This study is being kind. Statins take more years off your life than they add.

Pharmaceutical companies have been instrumental in pushing through new drugs and garnering medical consensus. I bet your Doc never heard of this study!

Listen I try to avoid interacting with you so much as possible. It appears to me you are smart guy who sees deceit and conspiracy everywhere.

There are many - dozens at least - research studies that show statins decrease the risk of stroke and cardiovascular events in patients 75 and younger.

Save yourself some time and scroll down to the consolidated results of 29 studies.........

"We identified 29 eligible trials involving a total of 80 711 participants. All-cause mortality was significantly lower among patients receiving a statin than among controls .........."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3216447/

Old 03-14-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Everyone should watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lho32GV1ue4

Starts with COVID19 moves into general points on Pharmaceutical companies. Starts at around the 10 minute mark for those who want to skip ahead.

A French study showed 2 to 1 of new approved drugs were actually harmful to the user. Just one of the many interesting tidbits you will hear here.

I agree with everything in this video.

The clot buster tPA is an amazing drug that is both effective and dangerous. tPA regularly kills patients.

Neurologists failing to administer tPA is also the #1 reasons for lawsuit damages in the specialty.

_________

There's a big difference between a drug causing some harm and being net-harmful.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Statins are some of the most profitable medications. So obviously the average Doc is not aware of that study.

Take Pfizer's Lipitor (atorvastatin) :

https://www.theguardian.com/business...tWord%20Pharma.

And that's one of many. In all, Statins have made (T)rillions of dollars, yet seem to take more years off their patients lives than add.

In other words, patients are paying for drugs that are causing them to feel 'unwell' and die earlier.

What kind of evil would you say that is?

And did you take Pfizer's vaccine?

Lipitor does not cause people to die earlier.

Lipitor has made so much money because A). it clearly works very well B). it's been available for nearly 26 years.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:47 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

Lipitor has made so much money because A). it clearly works very well B). it's been available for nearly 26 years.
I also think not.

But it may be that the on the ground positive effects of lipitor has waned with this medical group over the past 26 years.

Over time much has changed medically and demographically. So the related medical studies and R&D has to keep up.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:02 AM

2,284 posts, read 636,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

Quote:
There are many - dozens at least - research studies that show statins decrease the risk of stroke and cardiovascular events in patients 75 and younger.
I'm aware there are studies showing benefits. Lipitor and other Statins wouldn't be approved otherwise. There is also an issue with who does the studies. As you know, it's the pharmaceutical companies. And there have been many lawsuits etc over the years showing big pharma has often withheld data showing their drugs are toxic.

Case in point is another Pfizer drug: Torcetrapib. They withheld data showing it killed more people in the intervention arm vs the placebo arm.

But let's get back to Statins:

Quote:
Lipitor, an anti-cholesterol medication, can do more harm than good for some patients. Thousands have filed lawsuits against Lipitor’s manufacturer, Pfizer, for developing type 2 diabetes after taking the drug.

Though there have not been any Lipitor settlements yet, Pfizer has a history of settling lawsuits for millions of dollars, as seen below.
Quote:
$1 BILLION SETTLEMENT FOR BAYER STATIN (2005)
Bayer was hit with 3,000 lawsuits for its own statin, Baycol. Plaintiffs alleged that the drug caused rhabdomyolysis, a condition that erodes muscle tissue. Severe rhabdomyolysis can eventually cause kidney failure, paralysis, and even death in some patients.

Bayer settled in 2005 for a massive $1 billion sum.
https://www.classaction.com/lipitor/settlement/

The study I linked to earlier is actually a meta-analysis of 35 high quality RCTs on various statins. They attempted to adjust for covariates and attract a signal of benefit vs risk. What they found is either no benefit to incredibly marginal (for every 100 patients on Statins, it will prevent 1 heart attack, therefore 99 took it for no benefit, only risk and toxicity).

Old 03-14-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I also think not.

But it may be that the on the ground positive effects of lipitor has waned with this medical group over the past 26 years.

Over time much has changed medically and demographically. So the related medical studies and R&D has to keep up.
Good post.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I'm aware there are studies showing benefits. Lipitor and other Statins wouldn't be approved otherwise. There is also an issue with who does the studies. As you know, it's the pharmaceutical companies. And there have been many lawsuits etc over the years showing big pharma has often withheld data showing their drugs are toxic.

Case in point is another Pfizer drug: Torcetrapib. They withheld data showing it killed more people in the intervention arm vs the placebo arm.

But let's get back to Statins:

https://www.classaction.com/lipitor/settlement/

The study I linked to earlier is actually a meta-analysis of 35 high quality RCTs on various statins. They attempted to adjust for covariates and attract a signal of benefit vs risk. What they found is either no benefit to incredibly marginal (for every 100 patients on Statins, it will prevent 1 heart attack, therefore 99 took it for no benefit, only risk and toxicity).
Every powerful drug out there negatively impacts some people, that cannot be the test if so we'd have no powerful drugs. I mentioned tPA earlier......tPA literally kills some patients. However, it saves many, many more and improves outcomes across even more people ergo every stroke care doc. in the country prescribes the drug regularly.

The study you noted is per low risk patients. Statins are overwhelmingly used by higher risk patients.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:20 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Everyone should watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lho32GV1ue4

Starts with COVID19 moves into general points on Pharmaceutical companies. Starts at around the 10 minute mark for those who want to skip ahead.

A French study showed 2 to 1 of new approved drugs were actually harmful to the user. Just one of the many interesting tidbits you will hear here.

I agree with everything in this video.
They are neither. You don’t have to buy their products and services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies