Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who does gentrification affect a neighborhood
Positive 53 75.71%
Negative 11 15.71%
It neither helps nor hurts a neighborhood 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 02:46 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I wouldn't consider the dislocation of human beings and the disruption of their lives as inconsequential.
well, you don't consider anything that makes you sad inconsequential. See: any Covid thread

The second half that you omitted:

Quote:
The only downside to gentrification, generally, is the gnashing of teeth by progressives* over low-income tenants that get their poor-condition rental taken away when the current generation sells off the old family home.
A tenant has a lease-term-long claim to the place they live (where they "stay" colloquially where I live).

That is all. Nothing more, and nothing less. They are generally leasing from 1 of 2 types:

1. a slumlord that does the minimum necessary to his properties, but that's his income and so he rarely sells.
2. a descendant of/or a former owner that eventually sells out to someone who gentrifies. They are "sold out" by their own people, socio-economically.

Quote:
Sometimes it [wholesale removal of residents] can be. One notable example is the Kenyon-Barr section of the West End neighborhood in Cincinnati, which was a low-income, largely African-American neighborhood to the west of downtown. The city's redevelopment plan cooked up sometime in the late 1940s called for "urban renewal" in the area, which ultimately translated into leveling the entire neighborhood and transforming it into an ugly light industry/commercial area, renamed Queensgate.

https://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/c...bb38d369fdccd3
yes, you've accurately identified one of the few instances in the last 80 years where an entire neighborhood was gentrified by "government force" all at once.

Last edited by Eyebee Teepee; 03-16-2022 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 03:20 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The gov is two faced but he’s only focusing on schools and trying to rule over 6 yr olds. No, he’s truly trying to make Fl a Mecca for his wealthy friends.

Bill heading to Governor DeSantis’ desk may cut affordable housing trust funds

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/amp/a...b-a85377f47d7c

The Florida Housing Coalition said it is facing an affordable housing shortage of more than 344,000 homes. The Coalition said gutting the housing trust funds will only make the problem worse.
are there any details on this, like amount of money, where it comes from, etc

Old 03-16-2022, 03:34 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
1958...color me surprised. Got anything current though ?
Cincinnati is aggressively gentrifying the neighborhood just north of downtown called Over The Rhine. Razed public housing units to build a soccer stadium and did a brief looping streetcar line that literally goes nowhere to raise building values. I would understand a streetcar from Zoo / hospitals / university / downtown / Newport KY. Many millions to loop around a single neighborhood... pretty obvious the motivation.

Old 03-16-2022, 03:40 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I wouldn't consider the dislocation of human beings and the disruption of their lives as inconsequential.

Best case is the poor move to newer housing (1950s-1970s vs 1900s) with less lead / asbestos problems and in areas with a lot less violent crime. A poor child in West End, Cincinnati would have a better life in Forest Park. Problem is high COL metros where people often move out of state to find affordable housing.

Old 03-16-2022, 03:54 PM

7,324 posts, read 3,513,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Where ever they can afford. That is kind of how it works. My wife and I were stuck in a lower middle class area, until we started making more , saved and moved out of the city and to a semi rural higher valued area.
as expensive and utopian as New Jersey is, there are many affordable towns to live in that are okay areas even in northern nj.when i got my first apartment it wasn’t in the nicest area, but you work your way up and out.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:06 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,916,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Where do you want the middle lower class to live, if I may ask?
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Where they can afford? You know, like everyone else?
So it’s ok to push them out of their homes? I understand upgrading areas to improve quality of life and downturn crime, but hate that it’s at the expense of someone having to leave their homes.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:13 PM

2,406 posts, read 1,524,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
as expensive and utopian as New Jersey is, there are many affordable towns to live in that are okay areas even in northern nj.when i got my first apartment it wasn’t in the nicest area, but you work your way up and out.
So how was it living in Newark?

Old 03-16-2022, 04:13 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,787,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
So it’s ok to push them out of their homes? I understand upgrading areas to improve quality of life and downturn crime, but hate that it’s at the expense of someone having to leave their homes.
Well...no homeowner is being pushed out by gentrification barring a massive increase in property taxes, which most states and localities somewhat protect homeowners against provided that it's their primary residence.

As for renters....it's not their home. There is no expectation that the tenant will be permitted to continue their tenancy beyond the term of their lease agreement at their current rent.

And let me ask you this - so is it okay to artificially block gentrification from occurring, forcing EVERYONE to live in overpriced, dilapidated hellholes?

Old 03-16-2022, 04:41 PM

23,529 posts, read 17,208,400 times
much better to allow the city to decay, anything else would be racist.

crumbling cities are the reason the rural and suburban areas are being developed. that and feds mandating low income housing to destroy the QOL and open space.

Old 03-17-2022, 05:47 AM

29,433 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Cincinnati is aggressively gentrifying the neighborhood just north of downtown called Over The Rhine. Razed public housing units to build a soccer stadium and did a brief looping streetcar line that literally goes nowhere to raise building values. I would understand a streetcar from Zoo / hospitals / university / downtown / Newport KY. Many millions to loop around a single neighborhood... pretty obvious the motivation.
So, many millions spent just to get rid of POC's ? Were only POC's targeted ?

Sounds like the city was fed up with the crime and blight, and that is why the area was redeveloped. It does suck for those individuals that just want a place to live. Although, is the area better now, than it was before the development ?

" When 3CDC started out in 2004, there were almost 3,000 vacant buildings, lots and housing units in Over-The-Rhine.

Joe Rudemiller, with 3CDC, says investment specific to Over-The-Rhine has seen 173 buildings restored, another 44 new buildings constructed, and acres of "civic space" and two civic buildings refurbished.

It has also built close to a thousand condominiums and 468 apartments - 283 as affordable housing units - as well as facilities for the homeless and hundreds of thousands of square feet of commercial space.
"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56048812

"Findlay Playground, located about two blocks north, at Vine and Findlay Streets, had been closed for nearly two years. The shutdown was a response to an overwhelming amount of crime, including drug dealing and substance abuse. City officials wanted to renovate the park and transform it into a safer, more attractive space for children and families. The plan was to reopen it by the spring or summer of 2019.

But the prolonged shutdown had unintended consequences, much to the displeasure of the residents of Cornerstone. The park closure pushed drug dealers, homeless, mentally ill and inebriated people into their streets.
"

https://thegroundtruthproject.org/ov...entrification/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies