Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 05:42 PM

42,043 posts, read 17,508,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Does anyone listen to Estonia?
Well I guess now they do.
Since when has Ukraine held such global importance ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 05:56 PM

46,837 posts, read 25,764,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Does this not make it mandatory?
No. The iron-clad obligation is Article 5 - an attack on one NATO member is considered an attack on all. Estonia has not been attacked, yet.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:09 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,564,938 times
Once more NATO countries get onboard with a no-fly zone over Ukraine, it’s possible. There are scenarios that could even provoke a military strike on Russian positions inside Ukraine. NATO could have fighter jets scrambled in minutes.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:11 PM

22,602 posts, read 24,418,850 times
OK, let Estonia set-up and enforce the NFZ.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:45 PM

1,334 posts, read 463,269 times
I think the UK's Defence Minister has already stated that they wouldn't be undergoing such a policy as it would be tantamount to a full scale war. Ukraine isn't worth potentially a billion or more people dead with huge swathes of continents irradiated from fallout.

Plus, this hasn't really been talked about but Russia does have its own modern counterpart to NATO in CSTO. They might be duty bound by article 4 of their own treaty to respond to any acts of aggression by outside parties. So you're potentially looking at a war with not just Russia but also much of Central Asia, Armenia and Belarus; and who knows how China is likely to respond with Western powers embroiled in a vast transcontinental war. They might just decide to make their move against Taiwan unless fear of a divided USA reprisal can keep them in check.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:51 PM

7,794 posts, read 6,351,799 times
Thanks for the input, Estonia.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:51 PM

25,346 posts, read 18,489,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Negative on a number of levels.
And who is going to enforce this "no fly zone"?

And when the first Russian fighter is shot down, what, exactly do you think Russia is going to do? Just say, oh well? No. Putin is on a rampage. He will declare war. And once that is done, since NATO is like the Three Musketeers, all the other involved nations will declare war on Russia. Then China, Iran, NK, etc will align with Russia. What would you call that if not a world war?

Then suddenly we have a huge war that nobody wanted. I guarantee you I wouldn't support it. We need to stay completely out of this. And we certainly do not want a tiny Baltic nation having us doing their fighting for them and sending military over there for a no fly zone. My stance is that the no fly zone is a no fly zone for us. We do NOT want to go there.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:52 PM

20,830 posts, read 17,002,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
No. The iron-clad obligation is Article 5 - an attack on one NATO member is considered an attack on all. Estonia has not been attacked, yet.
Thank you for the clarification.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:53 PM

1,173 posts, read 546,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
A "no fly zone" is a declaration of war. In this case, WWIII.
Yup, Someone somewhere really is pushing for wwIII. Just can’t figure out why.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:53 PM

20,830 posts, read 17,002,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And who is going to enforce this "no fly zone"?

And when the first Russian fighter is shot down, what, exactly do you think Russia is going to do? Just say, oh well? No. Putin is on a rampage. He will declare war. And once that is done, since NATO is like the Three Musketeers, all the other involved nations will declare war on Russia. Then China, Iran, NK, etc will align with Russia. What would you call that if not a world war?

Then suddenly we have a huge war that nobody wanted. I guarantee you I wouldn't support it. We need to stay completely out of this. And we certainly do not want a tiny Baltic nation having us doing their fighting for them and sending military over there for a no fly zone. My stance is that the no fly zone is a no fly zone for us. We do NOT want to go there.
I don't believe Putin is that insane to end the human life of millions of his own countrymen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies