Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 06:29 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
That doesn't matter!

Trump is no longer President! That's all that matters!
The insane thing, is there are most likely people in our country that really feel this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 06:50 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,317 times
Off the top of my head, the worst I have seen is car prices and pet food. Not only has there been a shortage of pet food, but canned dog food has doubled in price in the past year. Non premium brands were consistently about .79 or .89 cents a can for years. Now they are a $1.50 per can. Last week I saw some had gone up to $3.50 per can.

We won't have to worry about hearing stories of the elderly on fixed incomes resorting to eating pet food. At those prices they won't be able to afford it either.

Many car parts being unavailable is really bad too. Some are taking 6 weeks or more to come in due to supply chain issues. Unless one has a second car, I don't know how many people on a tight budget are going to afford to get to work without a vehicle for that long.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:34 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
It was enough for me. I know how to be frugal, I live my life that way.
This.

My food budget hasn’t risen appreciably because I’ve always shopped sales and stocked up.
I am not “married” to any brand names so don’t care if one particular brand is now more expensive than some other. And I’m sure not going to reward companies that have raised their prices beyond reason.

I never pay for the “convenience” of pre-cut meat, like stew beef. Haven’t for years.
Why would anyone when it’s always been so much less expensive to buy a London broil, etc. and cube it yourself?
Similarly, I haven’t bought and roasted a chicken for years. Spent $4.99 for a huge rotisserie chicken at Costco last week. Ready-to-eat and no clean-up.
Win-win.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:47 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
This.

My food budget hasn’t risen appreciably because I’ve always shopped sales and stocked up.
I am not “married” to any brand names so don’t care if one particular brand is now more expensive than some other. And I’m sure not going to reward companies that have raised their prices beyond reason.

I never pay for the “convenience” of pre-cut meat, like stew beef. Haven’t for years.
Why would anyone when it’s always been so much less expensive to buy a London broil, etc. and cube it yourself?

Similarly, I haven’t bought and roasted a chicken for years. Spent $4.99 for a huge rotisserie chicken at Costco last week. Ready-to-eat and no clean-up.
Win-win.
Interesting. Where I live, stew beef is the same or less than London Broil. (Yep, just checked online -- stew meat is about an average of 20 cents cheaper than London Broil -- and the stew meat I get usually has some tender steak pieces as well.)

Also, sometimes, chicken pieces are less than a whole chicken. As recently as last week, Costco had boneless chicken breasts for $2.99 a pound, and the last time I bought chicken quarters, they were about $1.49 a pound and chicken drumsticks were just 97 cents a pound on sale. (I stocked up as we have a freezer.)

P.S. I just saw this current thread talking about chicken quarters currently 99 cents per pound: https://www.city-data.com/forum/shop...-lb-there.html

Old 03-15-2022, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
Out of curiosity I looked up what my local grocery store. Kroger affiliate is selling beef stew meat for and it is $6 a pound for the regular pack and $5 a pound for the family pack. I think it is on sale this week.

To decrease cost, shop sales and clip coupons. You can also go to stores like Aldi. You can check the clearance area which has the meat which is close to expiration.
My Kroger affiliate has packages of those petite sirloin steaks currently on sale for ~$13.00. Four-six to a package so about $3.97 a pound.

Safeway/Albertsons always have buy one, get one deals on meat.
Yes, it may take a little more effort than (some) people are used to, but there are savings to be had.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
It was enough for me. I know how to be frugal, I live my life that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
This.

Win-win.
We moved out of the city and into a rural area two years ago. Best thing we ever did. We buy our meat and poultry from a small butcher shop that sources their products locally. Eggs can be found in a number of farms around the area. In the summer vegetables are at roadside stands. We've saved so much money this way.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Interesting. Where I live, stew beef is the same or less than London Broil. (Yep, just checked online -- stew meat is about an average of 20 cents cheaper than London Broil -- and the stew meat I get usually has some tender steak pieces as well.)

Also, [i]sometimes[./I] chicken pieces are less than a whole chicken also. As recently as last week, Costco had boneless chicken breasts for $2.99 a pound, and the last time I bought chicken quarters, they were about $1.49 a pound and chicken drumsticks were just 97 cents a pound on sale. (I stocked up as we have a freezer.)
Agreed.
For whatever reason, pre-cut chicken is almost always less per pound than whole (uncooked) chickens and are often included in Safeway’s buy one, get one deals.
I love to have leg quarters on hand to throw in the air fryer, so I do stock up those.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
We moved out of the city and into a rural area two years ago. Best thing we ever did. We buy our meat and poultry from a small butcher shop that sources their products locally. Eggs can be found in a number of farms around the area. In the summer vegetables are at roadside stands. We've saved so much money this way.
Jealous.

One of my co-workers keeps chickens and sells a dozen eggs for $2.00 per.
They taste sooo good.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:58 AM

45,386 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
That's interesting since in this area producer prices are more, much more in some cases, than at a grocery (with the grocery buying from those same farmers, at least for produce).

Old 03-15-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's interesting since in this area producer prices are more, much more in some cases, than at a grocery (with the grocery buying from those same farmers, at least for produce).
Yeah, I couldn't believe the price difference between the butcher and our local Kroger. Here is an example, these are package deals, which we haven't purchased yet. We generally just by chicken breasts, pork loin, pork chops, and roast.

https://www.jarzynafarms.com/packages-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies