Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2022, 06:27 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
This is a good time to remind everyone that according to the US Dept of Ed, 54% of adult Americans read below the 6th grade level. The state with the lowest adult literacy percentage? California.
They don't care about that.

They would rather kids learn the LGBTQ nonsense, how to become transgender or get an abortion and know how to be a racist. Oh and how to walkout/protest even though they have no idea what the basis for the protest is.

WAAAAAY more important.

It's disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 06:58 AM

1,480 posts, read 480,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Teachers overstepping common decency and mental stability...

Parents angered by segregation experiment at local elementary school

Children at a local elementary school segregated by the color of their hair. The children in one group told they're not as smart as the others. It was supposed to be a lesson on racism, but some parents are furious neither they, nor their kids, were told about it ahead of time.

Mike and Brandi Lininger say their ten-year-old daughter was confused and hurt by a classroom experiment in January at Leon Springs Elementary. Students were separated according to hair color, with one group receiving preferential treatment.

“All of the dark-haired kids, the brown- and black-haired kids, were treated as the privileged ones and the blonde haired and the redhead kids were the ones treated not so nicely," said Brandi Lininger.

The Lininger's say teachers told students children in the fair-haired group were not as intelligent. That group was purposely given a game with pieces missing so they could not play. Later they were made to clean up after the other children.

WTH ??
I think the kids that were given the game with pieces missing, could have used that as an opportunity to create a new game out of what they were handed, and had a lot of fun and laughs with that. Kids can be very resourceful, just as when they play sports without all the store bought equipment, they improvise.

Then they could have had fun with eachother cleaning everything up and did a really nice job of it, so much so that they did a complimentary job. In my job I have to do a lot of mundane repetitive work, so I crank up the tunes and enjoy it. Which is better than being loathsome through it all. Which seems to be what the teacher was seeking from them. They could have taught their teacher a lesson.

Old 03-16-2022, 07:14 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Watching it, you mean? I found it fascinating, as I often do when learning about human social behavior. (Malcolm Gladwell fan here.)

As with everything, some people learn and change and grow, some do not.

I was raised in a mostly white town (we did have a black science teacher, and that was about it) but our parents taught us that prejudice was wrong. My father because he was logic-minded and said racism was just stupid, and my mother because her father was an embarrassingly racist Archie Bunker type. I mean, he did not even tolerate Italians. It was good, but since we did not actually know any real live black people growing up, it was all theoretical.

I grew up to work in Manhattan in the World Trade Center with every race, religion, and background on the planet, and being taught to be open-minded served me very well. A sister fell in love with a black guy in the mid-70s when interracial couples were still stared at in public, and they are still married and together in old age.

But another sister still freely uses the N word, made jokes about shooting Obama during hunting season ("if it's brown, it's down") and is about as far right in her thinking as anyone can be.

No matter what we are taught, we make choices.
Sorry I had you confused with a poster who participated in the experiment . I'm sure I would find watching an experiment fascinating also. Being part of one, not so much.

No matter what we are taught, we make choices.
And that is why I dont see anything positive about this experiment. Obviously it had an immediate negative effect on many of the students and in the long run it will not change the choices make. We are who we are.

My father was the Archie Bunker type, my mom Edith. Also raised in a white neighborhood although we had several black teachers and my sister and her friends (being in high school) had some black friends and one of her best friends had a black boyfriend. It always made me angry when my father used racial slurs or spoke negatively about other races/cultures. He particularly disliked the Japanese after serving in WWII.
Me and my 3 siblings take after my mother, we hate everyone equally , JK.

Old 03-16-2022, 07:15 AM

2,007 posts, read 865,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Teachers overstepping common decency and mental stability...

Parents angered by segregation experiment at local elementary school

Children at a local elementary school segregated by the color of their hair. The children in one group told they're not as smart as the others. It was supposed to be a lesson on racism, but some parents are furious neither they, nor their kids, were told about it ahead of time.

Mike and Brandi Lininger say their ten-year-old daughter was confused and hurt by a classroom experiment in January at Leon Springs Elementary. Students were separated according to hair color, with one group receiving preferential treatment.

“All of the dark-haired kids, the brown- and black-haired kids, were treated as the privileged ones and the blonde haired and the redhead kids were the ones treated not so nicely," said Brandi Lininger.

The Lininger's say teachers told students children in the fair-haired group were not as intelligent. That group was purposely given a game with pieces missing so they could not play. Later they were made to clean up after the other children.

WTH ??

Fifth graders were also shown a Spike Lee documentary called "4 Little Girls" about the 1963 bombing of an Alabama church. The film includes graphic autopsy photos of the girls' bodies.

Double WTH ??

Why can't we simply teach equitable treatment to all races?

Why can't teachers model the behavior they want their students to emulate?

Instead - they choose to traumatize children to make their point. Great - we will put out more flawed adults once these teachers have their way.
Put your children in private schools. Problem solved...

Old 03-16-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LMAO

Well, that year's social experiment proved that young males newly heady with testosterone will find any reason to fight to impress females with their superiority, whether or not they are aware that it's what they are doing
And what benefit was it to the kids?

Old 03-16-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Ohh puhleese.
Even when our class was placed with this Class endeavor-None of us had a gun to our heads, nor did our teacher Shove us in closets if we didn't participate. It was explained to us that it was a: class at will project. We knew before hand what the guidelines were. We even enjoyed the "acting" that had to be done. Some of us dressed for the occassion. We weren't lab rats .

We KNEW in advance what could and could not be done- NO physical harm, and the fact that some of us were called derogatory names was no different then how society was at THAT time. Not justifying it- I am explaining it. We knew that we were ALL acting our parts , and yes we collectively at any time could have pulled the plug. Which by day two we did. OUr class felt we gained as much as we could from that task. Our teacher was receptive to our ability to come together and broach her . Perhaps Unity in ceasing caught her eye. That even fourth graders knew when enough was enough. We were better friends then enemies I reckon

If it helps by fourth grade we read every guideline. Guess WE COULD READ!

Sorry that you are accumulatively assuming such unkind things of Teachers. My son and daughter in law are teachers- they are not pedophiles or sadists. So pardon if I take umbrage at that ignorant statement .
I remember reading just awhile back of a school teacher getting in trouble, probably fired, for a class endeavor where students played the part of slaves and slave owners. Also where a school got in trouble for a field trip to an old plantation where all kids were show cotton. Everything was also explained to the kids and no one held a gun to their head.
So reenacting racism by segregating kids by eye/hair color and making one group superior and one inferior and calling them derogatory names is ok. Reenacting actual history, not ok.

Old 03-16-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWeAllJustGetAlong View Post
This was done way back in an elementary school in 1968 and has been documented many times. Here is a clip from Frontline where the teacher and students were interviewed many years later.

A couple of things. Kids are pretty resilient. I don’t think a brief teaching exercise is going to screw them up for the rest of their lives. If you compare the totality of discrimination that some groups face on a recurring basis to this exercise, I don’t think you can call it anything more than an illustration of what discrimination feels like. Having said that, I’m for being open and upfront….and telling the kids parents about the exercise in advance seems reasonable. If the parents don’t want their kids to participate, while I think it would have been a mistake, I am not their parents. They should be able to decide…not me.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/a...ntroduction-2/
This is a supposition that isn't based on fact. Who is being discrimination against on a daily basis everywhere they go? Where is this discrimination happening?

This is an "experiment" based on how humans behaved in history ... that is no longer occurring.

Or do peooe truly believe that people are discriminated against every second of every day everywhere they go? That there are people literally verbally attacking each other over race, sex, disability, whatever status, fill-in-the-blank every second of every day?

Where is this happening?

Old 03-16-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Because us black kids actually experience racism long before that.
So you are what, early 20's? What actual racism have you experienced and what racism are black kids experiencing today? Are you denied access, participation, opportunities, education, jobs, equal pay, promotions, political office, credit, loans, rights, legal representation and relief, housing, government benefits.........?

Old 03-16-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I remember reading just awhile back of a school teacher getting in trouble, probably fired, for a class endeavor where students played the part of slaves and slave owners. Also where a school got in trouble for a field trip to an old plantation where all kids were show cotton. Everything was also explained to the kids and no one held a gun to their head.
So reenacting racism by segregating kids by eye/hair color and making one group superior and one inferior and calling them derogatory names is ok. Reenacting actual history, not ok.
Exactly.

It's all about making sure kids can HURT and INSULT each other. All emotionally based trauma. One group an oppressor and the other the victim. TO ensure that kids know exactly how to be racist.

What's truly weird about all this is that when I was in school, the discriminated group for similar lessons were not blacks or any other race, but were kids with disabilities... Down syndrome, cerebral palsy were the go-tos ... not race. Disabilities was the 'race' card.

Go figure.

Old 03-16-2022, 07:43 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
I think the kids that were given the game with pieces missing, could have used that as an opportunity to create a new game out of what they were handed, and had a lot of fun and laughs with that. Kids can be very resourceful, just as when they play sports without all the store bought equipment, they improvise.

Then they could have had fun with eachother cleaning everything up and did a really nice job of it, so much so that they did a complimentary job. In my job I have to do a lot of mundane repetitive work, so I crank up the tunes and enjoy it. Which is better than being loathsome through it all. Which seems to be what the teacher was seeking from them. They could have taught their teacher a lesson.
Then that would mean we would need to believe that these SJW teachers have the best interest of the kids in mind instead of some deviant agenda.

I am thinking answer B (underlined) here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Put your children in private schools. Problem solved...
Poor kids left to the wolves...

As much tax money as schools get, we should deserve better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies