Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 07:11 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
There was the 60s where it was an issue, the 70s where the wrinkles were still being ironed out and in the 80s and 90s? No one cared. It wasn't an issue.

Fast forward to late 2000s and *suddenly* everyone is focused on race again to the point that people are INSANE about it.

We have a generation that was trained OUT of it and taught their kids racism was bad, followed by a generation that has been trained back INTO it and racism is EVERYWHERE.
fact check: disturbingly accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 07:14 AM

36,523 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I personally participated in the fourth grade on this segmenting.
Ours was done on hair color and eye color.
Sound familiar? Think germany-
Nonetheless , the class was full on following the rules given us.
I happened to be part of the smaller group, that was being ' outcast', ' less thens'.

Mind you I came from a family where my brothers often did the tuff love thru degradation.

Anyways, the class after day two all agreed to speak with our teacher. We wanted the rift to cease. She saw how it left some of us hardly able to complete our studies because of the bully style antics.

Her response: we could stop if we found the true lesson of that venture. So each of us spent another day working on our personal experience and how it affected our groups or ourselves.
I wouldn't change that opportunity for nothing. Despite the moments of degradation we as classmates got a taste of many religious, ethnic, or physical contrast groups are suppressed. Mocked,or even controlled.
The report we turned in may have been written in fourth grade penmanship. The wisdom we gained would aide us. Empathy, tolerance and a reminder of walking a mile in some shoes. Did have a place in our education.
So if as a parent you'd be up in arms and offended maybe your perspective needs broadened. That entire eye-opening lesson is what allowed some of us to be conscious of our actions /mindset.

The negative: the unkindness, the unacceptable attitudes.mob mentality ( ignorance)
The positive: social awareness, community influence. Self awareness
I would think a literature assignment would elicit the same awareness and empathy in students. There are plenty age appropriate books on the subject of ethnic, racial, religious, physical and sexual discrimination, degradation and suppression.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:23 AM

18,436 posts, read 8,268,923 times
this isn't teaching.....this is getting even

Old 03-15-2022, 07:24 AM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Teachers overstepping common decency and mental stability...

Parents angered by segregation experiment at local elementary school

Children at a local elementary school segregated by the color of their hair. The children in one group told they're not as smart as the others. It was supposed to be a lesson on racism, but some parents are furious neither they, nor their kids, were told about it ahead of time.

Mike and Brandi Lininger say their ten-year-old daughter was confused and hurt by a classroom experiment in January at Leon Springs Elementary. Students were separated according to hair color, with one group receiving preferential treatment.

“All of the dark-haired kids, the brown- and black-haired kids, were treated as the privileged ones and the blonde haired and the redhead kids were the ones treated not so nicely," said Brandi Lininger.

The Lininger's say teachers told students children in the fair-haired group were not as intelligent. That group was purposely given a game with pieces missing so they could not play. Later they were made to clean up after the other children.

WTH ??

Fifth graders were also shown a Spike Lee documentary called "4 Little Girls" about the 1963 bombing of an Alabama church. The film includes graphic autopsy photos of the girls' bodies.

Double WTH ??

Why can't we simply teach equitable treatment to all races?

Why can't teachers model the behavior they want their students to emulate?

Instead - they choose to traumatize children to make their point. Great - we will put out more flawed adults once these teachers have their way.
It use to be treat everyone equally under laws and rules. That is now deemed racist in favor of equity.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
I can't believe there are so many kind of dense, backwards people here.

These psychological social experiments are not new - there is nothing weird about them - they are not "wrong" - if your kid doesn't "get" it, then hopefully they will think about the entire experience and over time will see the point.

The drama of crying about, what in the past, would be considered enlightening, boggles my mind.

I read something recently that said that evolution doesn't guarantee future people will be smarter than present ones and this thread illustrates that.
And many social experiments have been extremely harmful.
IME kids by nature are not racist or elitist, that is something that is taught, they already "got it". Lessons like this are actually teaching them racism.
Personally, I did not send my kids to school to be part of a psychological social experiment. Kids are perfectly capable of learning through reading and positive examples and guidance.

I wonder if progressive forward thinking people gave any thought to the possibility that some of these kids may come from dysfunctional, abusive homes where they are already treated as less intelligent and less deserving and how this experiment may effect their already fragile psyche.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:29 AM

3,644 posts, read 1,600,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The biggest problem with these "exercises" or "experiments" is the people administering them. I swear, teachers may have degrees and subject credentials but they shouldn't be using kids to prove points because they can't predict how any individual child will react to it.

I understand that some pretty interesting experiments have been done in the past (ie: The Third Wave, etc.) but we don't know the long lasting effects it had on anyone involved. And some teachers are AWFUL and can do a lot of damage. It's entirely unwarranted IMO.
This. Teachers should not come up with experiments using students. Unless it's in a textbook and approved for every classroom in the state, stick to curriculum. If a student asks "what is racism?" then answer the question and don't come up with an experiment to 'teach' what racism is. Good grief.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:51 AM

14,773 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Quote:
Teachers overstepping common decency and mental stability...

Parents angered by segregation experiment at local elementary school

Children at a local elementary school segregated by the color of their hair. The children in one group told they're not as smart as the others. It was supposed to be a lesson on racism, but some parents are furious neither they, nor their kids, were told about it ahead of time.

Mike and Brandi Lininger say their ten-year-old daughter was confused and hurt by a classroom experiment in January at Leon Springs Elementary. Students were separated according to hair color, with one group receiving preferential treatment.

“All of the dark-haired kids, the brown- and black-haired kids, were treated as the privileged ones and the blonde haired and the redhead kids were the ones treated not so nicely," said Brandi Lininger.

The Lininger's say teachers told students children in the fair-haired group were not as intelligent. That group was purposely given a game with pieces missing so they could not play. Later they were made to clean up after the other children.

WTH ??

Fifth graders were also shown a Spike Lee documentary called "4 Little Girls" about the 1963 bombing of an Alabama church. The film includes graphic autopsy photos of the girls' bodies.

Double WTH ??

Why can't we simply teach equitable treatment to all races?

Why can't teachers model the behavior they want their students to emulate?

Instead - they choose to traumatize children to make their point. Great - we will put out more flawed adults once these teachers have their way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Start them early on detecting "racism" in everything.
Now they can chant it all the way to adulthood without really knowing what it means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Ummmm.....this is not exactly new. I saw it back in the 80's (only they based it off eye color instead.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Another "teacher" who needs to be incarcerated and prevented from teaching for life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
And again we learn why our kids graduate from high school and may or may not be able to read, write, do basic math, sign their name, or know anything of history, government, geography, or science.

The teaching profession is apparently populated by imbeciles now. These self righteous wokies are so full of ego and anger, they should be in a special reprogramming program because they have no business circulating among the public, much less "teaching."

This is nothing new....My Social Studies (High School Freshman) class back in the 1970's did something similar to this.
He took the Nazi white supremacist idea of a so called 'superior race' into practice to show how ignorant it is to discriminate and think someone is superior to another person because of skin color, hair color, eye color....blond hair blue eyes being what was thought optimal to the Nazi's....we were treated differently
You were treated the best if you had blonde hair and blue eyes, you were treated so so if you had blond hair but brown eyes, or brown hair and blue eyes....people who had the darker hair and eyes were given no privileges and treated the worse.

I had blond hair and brown eyes so I was in the in between group.It may not have been a traditional book learning but it was one of the most valuable and impactful teaching/learning moments in my life. And I saw first hand how unfair and unjust it was to treat people, better or worse because of some random physical attribute or because of some random DNA traits. It was a life changing moment.

It is intellectually dishonest, arrogant and unfair to think someone else is less than what you are because of some random genetic attributes like skin color or eye color or hair color, etc....just because someone is different than you are.

I do think this lesson is suited better for high school student compared to Elementary students, but it is
lesson that is beyond value, it was one of the most impactful lessons that I had in High School.

This was in the 1970's....in very conservative Kentucky, so it is nothing new, nothing shocking. I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything. And the teacher who taught this...far from being incarcerated as someone above pointed out, should have been given an award for being one of the most eye opening, impactful teacher in my high school years.

Teaching empathy and kindness while pointing out hate, unfairness and ignorance...is a powerful lesson.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:53 AM

14,773 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3
I personally participated in the fourth grade on this segmenting.
Ours was done on hair color and eye color.
Sound familiar? Think germany-
Nonetheless , the class was full on following the rules given us.
I happened to be part of the smaller group, that was being ' outcast', ' less thens'.

Mind you I came from a family where my brothers often did the tuff love thru degradation.

Anyways, the class after day two all agreed to speak with our teacher. We wanted the rift to cease. She saw how it left some of us hardly able to complete our studies because of the bully style antics.

Her response: we could stop if we found the true lesson of that venture. So each of us spent another day working on our personal experience and how it affected our groups or ourselves.
I wouldn't change that opportunity for nothing. Despite the moments of degradation we as classmates got a taste of many religious, ethnic, or physical contrast groups are suppressed. Mocked,or even controlled.
The report we turned in may have been written in fourth grade penmanship. The wisdom we gained would aide us. Empathy, tolerance and a reminder of walking a mile in some shoes. Did have a place in our education.
So if as a parent you'd be up in arms and offended maybe your perspective needs broadened. That entire eye-opening lesson is what allowed some of us to be conscious of our actions /mindset.

The negative: the unkindness, the unacceptable attitudes.mob mentality ( ignorance)
The positive: social awareness, community influence. Self awareness
Exactly.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
This is nothing new....My Social Studies (High School Freshman) class back in the 1970's did something similar to this.
He took the Nazi white supremacist idea of a so called 'superior race' into practice to show how ignorant it is to discriminate and think someone is superior to another person because of skin color, hair color, eye color....blond hair blue eyes being what was thought optimal to the Nazi's....we were treated differently
You were treated the best if you had blonde hair and blue eyes, you were treated so so if you had blond hair but brown eyes, or brown hair and blue eyes....people who had the darker hair and eyes were given no privileges and treated the worse.

I had blond hair and brown eyes so I was in the in between group.It may not have been a traditional book learning but it was one of the most valuable and impactful teaching/learning moments in my life. And I saw first hand how unfair and unjust it was to treat people, better or worse because of some random physical attribute or because of some random DNA traits. It was a life changing moment.

It is intellectually dishonest, arrogant and unfair to think someone else is less than what you are because of some random genetic attributes like skin color or eye color or hair color, etc....just because someone is different than you are.

I do think this lesson is suited better for high school student compared to Elementary students, but it is
lesson that is beyond value, it was one of the most impactful lessons that I had in High School.

This was in the 1970's....in very conservative Kentucky, so it is nothing new, nothing shocking. I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything. And the teacher who taught this...far from being incarcerated as someone above pointed out, should have been given an award for being one of the most eye opening, impactful teacher in my high school years.

Teaching empathy and kindness while pointing out hate, unfairness and ignorance...is a powerful lesson.
With all these types social experiments going on with students over the past 3 decades being such valuable and impactful lessons one would think discrimination and racism would have disappeared long ago and there would be no need for such in todays public school classrooms.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:05 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
This rotgut has been circulating around the country.

THE GHOST OF JIM CROW

This year, the new segregation has extended itself into new domains: public education and public-health policy. In Denver, Centennial Elementary School launched a racially exclusive “Families of Color Playground Night” as part of its racial equity programming. In Chicago, Downers Grove South High School held a racially exclusive “Students of Color Field Trip” as part of its own equity initiatives. In the words of Denver Public Schools officials, the administrators implemented the segregated program to “create a space of belonging,” which, they said, without a hint of irony, is “about uniting us, not dividing us.”

The most common justification for the new segregation is that racial minorities suffer disparities that must be rectified through “positive” discrimination, which is presented as a solution for America’s historical racism. In practice, however, these policies often descend into illogic, cruelty, and malice. Minnesota’s recently rescinded criteria, for example, would have prioritized Covid treatment for a healthy 18-year-old black female over a 64-year-old white male with hypertension, who, given the totality of circumstances, faces a much greater risk of serious illness and death. The new politics of race supplants the old science of medicine, with potentially catastrophic consequences for disfavored racial groups.
Segregation and racism are alive and well in the USA.

Being promoted as equality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies