Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2022, 01:11 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,614,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yeah baby.....i hate standard time.... Year round daylight savings time....whooohooo
+1

Old 03-16-2022, 02:18 PM

62,432 posts, read 28,688,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yeah baby.....

I hate standard time.... year round daylight savings time....whooohooo
I hate DST in the summer. I live in the southwest where it's very hot and the sun going down later reeks havoc on our air conditioning bills.

Old 03-16-2022, 02:36 PM

7,076 posts, read 4,680,823 times
I don’t know why the academy says standard time is better but for health reasons it’s standard over DST.

Quote:
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine has been for years been calling for a permanent switch to standard time, saying "there is ample evidence of the negative, short-term consequences of seasonal time changes."

The AASM cautioned that "making daylight saving time permanent overlooks potential health risks that can be avoided by establishing permanent standard time instead."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ent/ar-AAV8XWm

Old 03-16-2022, 02:41 PM

1,702 posts, read 627,343 times
Im in the minority as I prefer it to be dark when I get off of work. However I am glad that this will benefit the majority of Americans. Good stuff.

Old 03-16-2022, 02:49 PM

2,335 posts, read 804,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I don’t know why the academy says standard time is better but for health reasons it’s standard over DST.

Quote:
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine has been for years been calling for a permanent switch to standard time, saying "there is ample evidence of the negative, short-term consequences of seasonal time changes."

The AASM cautioned that "making daylight saving time permanent overlooks potential health risks that can be avoided by establishing permanent standard time instead."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ent/ar-AAV8XWm
I don't either and I don't care. I know the health risks associated with no sun also. I feel way better in the summer than I ever do in the winter.

Here are some benefits and even mentions the comment I made above about the crime situation.

https://www.ahs.com/home-matters/qui...t-saving-time/

P S. I do believe the sleep issue they are talking about is the switching back and forth, not keeping it consistent at one time

Old 03-16-2022, 04:37 PM

6,206 posts, read 3,559,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Why does everyone like the sun so much? It gives you cancer. And even worse - wrinkles.
Poor nutrition and environmental stressors give you these things.

The risk of sun damage is less if you go out in the early morning or later in the day around dusk. If it's dark when we drive to work then dark before we even go home, then the only time to get sun and fresh air is in the middle of the day during lunch, when the sun is most intense. You're kind of making the argument for keeping DST.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:40 PM

19,501 posts, read 17,746,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I hate DST in the summer. I live in the southwest where it's very hot and the sun going down later reeks havoc on our air conditioning bills.
Help me understand why that logic works out. It not confess is planning to add an hour of daylight to said days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
I am not sure any of the senators actually stopped and though through this.
I feel like this is something that affects everyone that no one is even aware of or even got to weigh-in on before these clowns in DC voted on it.

The reason do "not have to change clocks" is not a valid reason. Thats just lazy.

Our bodies circadian rhythm is based off our sunrise. I guess everyone is going to be sleeping in until 9am now in the winter????
Sounds good to me.

15,932 posts, read 12,190,637 times
Not going to have the sun rise at 4:30AM in the summer...keep summer time or keep changing clocks. Light out at 8AM-5:30PM in the winter makes much more sense than light at 4:30AM-7:30PM in the summer.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The vast majority of the complaining is due to night time conditions at 4 pm in the winter. This is what is driving all the motivation to change to DST permanently. If schools don't like the darker morning, start later. They need to start later anyways, every study shows a tired kid doesn't learn when they are forced to school so early
California actually passed a law that school will start later, based on studies showing that adolescent brains need more sleep. I would rather schools adjust their start time than all of us remain under the nightmare that is a 5pm sunset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies