Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2022, 04:38 PM

62,944 posts, read 29,134,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Help me understand why that logic works out. It not confess is planning to add an hour of daylight to said days.
The sun is lower in the sky in the morning so that's when the sun isn't so intensely hot. An earlier sundown via Standard time will make cooler evenings out here in the west and therefore save on our air conditioning bills. Solar energy helps but not that much.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:45 PM

19,784 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The sun is lower in the sky in the morning so that's when the sun isn't so intensely hot. An earlier sundown via Standard time will make cooler evenings out here in the west and therefore save on our air conditioning bills. Solar energy helps but not that much.
Are you turning your AC off during the day?

The plan does not add an hour of sunlight to each day.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:46 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,739,667 times
According to this article, the house has no plans to bring this up soon. And also there's info about how DST is harmful to kids, and also to adults. I think if it happens, people will be sorry after a year or two.

Quote:
“Permanent standard time best aligns our internal clock with sunlight, which has benefits for individual and public health,” Shelgikar says. Standard time is the “more natural time,” Malow explains, because the additional sun in the morning tells human brains it’s time to wake up, while the lack of evening light encourages sleep. During daylight saving time, “you’re getting too much light in the evening and not enough in the morning,” she says, which particularly affects people who have to be at work and school early in the day. On average, people sleep 40 minutes less per night during daylight saving time, says Erik Herzog, a chronobiologist at Washington University in St. Louis. “That’s a big deal, and a lot of people discount that.”

The shift in time isn’t only about sleep, Herzog adds. “You have a daily rhythm in every hormone in your body, independent of whether you’re sleeping or not,” he explains. Humans’ natural internal clock is a little longer than the Earth’s 24 hours, and “that light in the morning is really important for the human circadian clock to adjust to the 24-hour clock.” Otherwise, people experience circadian disruptions correlated with many negative effects. Herzog notes studies indicating higher rates of cancer and obesity in people who live at the western edges of time zones, who already suffer from some aspects of this. Encouraging that circadian disruption all year long could compound those negative health consequences. “Think of it as being a shift worker for your whole life,” Herzog says.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...ience-1322200/

Old 03-16-2022, 04:57 PM

1,018 posts, read 511,423 times
It's good and it's bad. The bad part comes from about November-February where we will have post-8 AM sunrises and a sunrise of 8:58AM on Winter Solstice in my area. That seems kind of late. But I do prefer permanent DST for more light in evenings.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Are you turning your AC off during the day?

The plan does not add an hour of sunlight to each day.
No, but I could turn it off earlier in the evening if it got darker sooner. The plan adds an hour of intense sunlight opposed to less intense sunlight in the morning. I already explained why in my prior post.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
According to this article, the house has no plans to bring this up soon. And also there's info about how DST is harmful to kids, and also to adults. I think if it happens, people will be sorry after a year or two.

Hopefully those concerns will be considered when the House gets the bill.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:31 PM

19,784 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post

There are opinions on the there other side as well.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:40 PM

10,452 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Florida voted for this years ago and guess what? We are still doing the stupid time thing.
Florida voters also rejected the bullet train multiple times and I guess the politicians still plan on implementing it. The voters be damned.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
There are opinions on the there other side as well.
I agree with Beth Malow, the professor of neurology that Standard time year around is better for our health.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:28 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Big Junk Food and the corporate media don't like this bill because they want you hibernating inside in front of screens, stuffing yourself with Cheetos and goldfish crackers. Longer daylight means less accidents, less crime, and more people out and about in restaurants/shops/bars, contributing to the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies