Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2022, 03:29 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Looks like this puppy is going to be a GO as soon as the Ukraine thing blows over. Say hello to permanent Daylight Savings Time Baby!

A proposal to make daylight saving time permanent is finding bipartisan support in the House after its passage in the Senate.
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...ime-bill-later
There's even a discussion thread about this on my Nextdoor app. A lot of responses, with neighbors overwhelmingly against making DST year round. They seem to mostly want Standard Time made year round permanently. Biggest concern expressed is school kids walking or waiting for the bus in the early morning darkness.

And yet, the Senate passes the DST bill unanimously, and appears to have strong support in the House, although it looks to be on the back burner, for now.

Old 03-18-2022, 03:40 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
As mentioned, while the senate has approved, the house has not. Not quite a done deal. Still alive but not certain.

Old 03-18-2022, 04:59 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I work 12 hour shifts. It’s already difficult to get adequate sleep between them and a nightmare on the weekends I lose another hour of sleep bc of it. Worse is working nights and being forced to work an extra unpaid hour. They need to eliminate DST altogether
There are laws about this, you know that right? And if not you should look them up and then also look up "Whistle Blower" rules.

But for the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone, if true, works like this?

Old 03-18-2022, 06:48 PM

This is a somewhat complicated issue. Every State has reasons for DST or not. I think the answer is by the State, and we need to keep State rights alive. Of course this does create some chaos but I think most can handle it, as most of us can.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:56 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I am not in favor of this. We tried it once in the seventies, and it was a disaster. Among the most compelling arguments against year-round Daylight Savings Time:

• It puts clocks out of sync with Europe, which has standard time between late October and late March, creating problems in the trade and travel sectors.
  • It makes it more difficult for various religions to practice rituals at home, such as sunrise prayers for Jews.
  • It might actually increase gasoline consumption, given that people will have more time in the evening to go outside.
  • Despite the widespread belief that it’s meant to benefit farmers, they actually really dislike it and have consistently lobbied against it since World War I.

Additionally, it would mean young children walking or catching the bus in the dark for months at a time, as was the case for me the first time around.

Link from The Washington Post: "No more changing clocks? History says be careful what you wish for on daylight saving time."
Since they tried this back in the 70's and it was a disaster what kind of fools in congress and out in mainstream America want to do it again.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:10 PM

Leave the dst alone!

Old 03-19-2022, 05:34 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How is it biased? Isn't it a fact that everything is about money in this country and making a profit whether it's good or bad for the American people?
"Isn't it a fact that everything is about money"

Not even CLOSE.

So, you believe the Girl and Bot Scouts are ONLY about money.

So, you believe the tens of thousands of youth sports orgs ONLY about money.

And the thousands of charities, including children's hospitals that do NOT charge the parents a DIME for the treatments of their kids.

McDonald's House gives the parents FREE rooms to stay in while their child is being treated.

I could go on and on to proved you wrong!

You DO live in a bizarre world.

You constantly whine and complain about so many things in our great country, I can't believe you are still here.

Where and when are you moving to?

And who gave you permission to speak for everybody in the country anyway?

I certainly did NOT, so STOP!

You are entitled to your own opinions and ONLY your opinions.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 03-19-2022 at 05:47 AM..

Old 03-19-2022, 05:49 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I am not in favor of this. We tried it once in the seventies, and it was a disaster. Among the most compelling arguments against year-round Daylight Savings Time:

Additionally, it would mean young children walking or catching the bus in the dark for months at a time, as was the case for me the first time around.

Link from The Washington Post: "No more changing clocks? History says be careful what you wish for on daylight saving time."
Could care less about Europe.

I do NOT agree with a single thing you claimed.

Old 03-19-2022, 06:04 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Isn't it a fact that everything is about money"

Not even CLOSE.

So, you believe the Girl and Bot Scouts are ONLY about money.

So, you believe the tens of thousands of youth sports orgs ONLY about money.

And the thousands of charities, including children's hospitals that do NOT charge the parents a DIME for the treatments of their kids.

McDonald's House gives the parents FREE rooms to stay in while their child is being treated.

I could go on and on to proved you wrong!

You DO live in a bizarre world.

You constantly whine and complain about so many things in our great country, I can't believe you are still here.

Where and when are you moving to?

And who gave you permission to speak for everybody in the country anyway?

I certainly did NOT, so STOP!

You are entitled to your own opinions and ONLY your opinions.
Where did I say that I speak for everyone in this country? Where have I whined about so many things in our country? Do you have me mixed up with someone else? My main concern it about illegal immigration and that's the only thing I have complained about. I can't give my opinion about DST time under this topic? WTH is wrong with you?

You say I'm entitled to my opinion but you attack me for having one?

Stop? Who the hell are you to tell me to stop voicing my opinions in here? It's alright for you but not me?

It's a fact that in our government and private enterprise that they are all about the money. You go on about some charity organizations instead?

I don't know where your rage is coming from all of a sudden and your choice to attack me but it's obvious that you belong on my ignore list. Buh, bye.

Old 03-19-2022, 07:48 PM

I didn’t sense any rage or attack in this post. What am I missing? Just an opinion that differs from yours? Relax, it doesn’t really matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies