Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 07:42 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
do you think all historical mentions should be erased from history? how can a confederate flag be judged and done away with and not other things like our slave owning founders? or should we just hit reset?
I think that Confederates do not deserve to be honored or praised. Remembered, yes. Lionized and treated like heroes?? Never.

Maybe if we did hit the reset button,with all that we know now, we would probably do better.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Maybe someday we’ll progress to getting rid of all things ***** and gay. The majority of society finds all of these things morally repugnant. Then they can go back into the closet with the confederates.
Be my guest. You still have not given me any reason why I should respect this Confederate crap. I'm not asking you to have any respect for the LGBT stuff. As part of my faith I don't go for that LGBT stuff. When it comes to Pro-Confederate stuff, I despise all of that Confederate garbage. As a Black American, I have every reason to despise it.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Absolutely! Vile, filthy, nasty and degrading rap music should have absolutely NO place in a civilized society.
Okay. You still haven't given me a reason to respect anything related to the Confederates.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
As you know, the authoritarian Left hates anything that mentions the Confederacy or Robert E Lee in any context except to virtue-signal against.

When will songs that make mere mention of confederate history be permanently cancelled? Johnny Cash once sung a song 'God Bless Robert E Lee' for ending the civil war and thereby lessening the death toll of all soldiers in war. Would that fly today?

---

Already Spotify has removed this really old Waylon Jennings song for simply mentioning Robert E Lee, and his rebel soldiers, in a neutral light.

It's a song about the tragedy of kin killing kin but apparently that is too sympathetic to the confederate cause to the modern day, BLM-fisting, nonbinary, pink-haired woke crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-MX0PXDWis
Why should I care?

Old 03-17-2022, 07:53 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Honestly, I will be happy to see all things Dixie done away with. I hate the Confederate flag. I hate Confederate statues. I find all of that stuff to be disgusting, period.
Hate takes a lot of work. Its easier to be apathetic. But i can tell, you not lazy enough!

I actually love my Confederate History.. but i respect folks like yourself who detest it.. its history, gone.. detested or forgotten by some, adored by others...

Old 03-17-2022, 07:59 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Honestly, I will be happy to see all things Dixie done away with. I hate the Confederate flag. I hate Confederate statues. I find all of that stuff to be disgusting, period.

It is all about perspective. If some racist fool is waving the Confederate flag in the face of someone that is a minority as they berate and threaten them THAT is A LOT different then someone flying the flag to indicate that they are a Rebel that is proud of his Southern heritage. There is a lot more to Southern Heritage then slavery and oppression.

The Civil War was an incredible time in our countries History and the fighting was about a whole lot more than ending slavery.

Why can't we appreciate History instead of destroying it?

When I see a statue from the time of the Civil War I think it is amazing and it makes me wonder how someone could be so offended by it. The answer is that instead of feeling oppressed by that statue why not marvel at how far we have all come since those dark days?

I hope they never cancel Dixie because it is our shared History.

Old 03-17-2022, 08:01 AM

1,810 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Be my guest. You still have not given me any reason why I should respect this Confederate crap. I'm not asking you to have any respect for the LGBT stuff. As part of my faith I don't go for that LGBT stuff. When it comes to Pro-Confederate stuff, I despise all of that Confederate garbage. As a Black American, I have every reason to despise it.
You weren’t even alive when that confederate stuff was going on. Just like me. Should I despise the US Army and the United States Government for what they did to my Choctaw ancestors on the Trail of Tears? No, I shouldn’t. Ain’t gonna let the past dictate my future or let it live in my head.

Old 03-17-2022, 08:02 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
What about 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down'?

That one is confusing, because on the one hand, it is about the south losing. But on the other hand, it depicts southerners as humans.

And yet still, on the other hand, the song was performed by many liberal hippies over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC-eDtV5O0Q

Old 03-17-2022, 08:03 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
Dixie's history is not impressive and in fact, represents how poor whites were duped and tricked into supporting an economic system for Rich White landowners with slaves over their own interest. Some point to generals as the people to be proud of but don't think about what those generals were fighting for. Those generals were leading poor whites into war to protect Rich whites' access to free labor and the expansion of that system to new territories.

Poor Whites were duped into fighting a war to maintain free slave labor, the same labor that was keeping poor whites poor. Rich Whites literally convinced poor whites to continue an economic practice that was ruining their own ability to earn income or to compete in a market against Rich Whites with free labor.

I am amazed that so many look back in fondness to an era where most of those same people would have had no economic opportunities, own no real land, have no control in politics, and were sacrificed to maintain the system that kept them in their low socioeconomic station.

Old 03-17-2022, 08:05 AM

8,414 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Easy - stop using the Confederate flag as a symbol of Southern pride. Surely Southerners can think of other things to be proud of.

And then the woke will demonize whatever that new symbol is. Face it, it's not the flag they hate, it's the south in general. The whole lower have of the country will need to be canceled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies