Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 12:57 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamhammer View Post
Yup they all should swing high from the trees broadcasted to the entire world. I missed my dads funeral in April 2020 because of this $hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
...I have a friend, late 30's, whose mother died from Covid in December '21. Despite being fully-vaxxed, she still could not be in the room, instead said goodbye via iPad from the other side of the door.
^^^ These stories, and the thousands like them, should never have happened. These are very sad, and there was never, nor is there now, any valid excuse for them happening.

"Hindsight", my ass. PATHETIC and sickening attempt as an excuse.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:02 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
^^^ These stories, and the thousands like them, should never have happened. These are very sad, and there was never, nor is there now, any valid excuse for them happening.

Nor will there ever be.

There needs to be a Constitutional amendment that strips the Feds of all emergency powers and makes it nearly impossible for states to do anything under the guise of an emergency. If you let something get to a state of emergency, you failed at your job as chief executive.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:03 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I think having family by the bedside is an inalienable right - I made a vow not to go to hospital if they didn't allow my loved ones to be there with me. If I'd gotten really sick in one of the previous surges, I had plans to camp out in front of a hospital calling the news people so I could plead my case. Surely they'd not let someone die at the curb just on account not allowing visitors to be with their patient?

Also, since you're a doctor - is it common procedure to put patients on ventilators without their explicit permission (or that of their family)? I also had plans to write "NO VENT!" on my chest with a magic marker prior to being admitted, since I consider that a fate worse than death.

At least it's not been an issue for me - no covid despite my "careless" ways.
Appropriate visitation is essentially a right. But the unique characteristics of the Pandemic prevented most of that early on.

I was a bit too well versed on this, not only being a doc, but because I was at my wife's bedside daily for 6 months out of each of the 3 previous years before the Pandemic. Her long list of life threatening medical and surgical conditions, auto crash and cancer related, caused me to retire from practice.

Living wills are what people need to express their wishes at their time of a dire or worse medical event. Far and away most people will go for temporary mechanical ventilation if there is a significant chance of a quality recovery. Despite them saying at one time "NO VENT". My wife would have been dead X3. Instead we still enjoy skiing.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:07 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

See if you can understand the above, and then understand reasons why so many front line HC workers left. The Pandemic has been extraordinary medical times. And most don't appreciate what they had to endure. Most just think and rely on the fact that the necessary medical care will be there when they need it.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:08 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I think having family by the bedside is an inalienable right - I made a vow not to go to hospital if they didn't allow my loved ones to be there with me. If I'd gotten really sick in one of the previous surges, I had plans to camp out in front of a hospital calling the news people so I could plead my case. Surely they'd not let someone die at the curb just on account not allowing visitors to be with their patient?

Also, since you're a doctor - is it common procedure to put patients on ventilators without their explicit permission (or that of their family)? I also had plans to write "NO VENT!" on my chest with a magic marker prior to being admitted, since I consider that a fate worse than death.

At least it's not been an issue for me - no covid despite my "careless" ways.
Your name befits the opinion expressed.

Had a parent that required going on the vent. Hers was not due to covid. This was ten years ago. The facility strongly encouraged the vent, and it was my decision entirely as her medical proxy to decide. They had to have my full consent. Even had to sign for it.
So beyond accidents where family or proxy is unavailable the facility DOES have to ask. And a person CAN decline. You are aware that certain surgeries require the vent?

As to the topic I lean towards the quarantine method for most contagion.
Whatever learning curve was being demonstrated shed some light on our mortality. I didn't panic with the sky is falling attitude. Instead being attentive, rational and using protective gear . Which I learned in medical training for healthcare.
True the loss of a loved one is further devastating when you cannot be there.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:11 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Washing hands for 20 seconds i not a bad thing. Does that mean y'all don't? EEK ----

Old 03-17-2022, 01:20 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
See if you can understand the above, and then understand reasons why so many front line HC workers left. The Pandemic has been extraordinary medical times. And most don't appreciate what they had to endure. Most just think and rely on the fact that the necessary medical care will be there when they need it.
The OP and others like him have no idea what it is/was like for the health care workers.

Furthermore, they don't take into account the liability of the hospital in regards to the spread of Covid.

Having a bunch of people trapesing through ICU's and the like causes increased risk of spread. It would be an infection control nurses worst nightmare.

Finally, if they did allow visitation these same people would be whining and crying about having to wear a mask.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:24 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
This is a good article and summary of everything we really should learn from this.

Some of us learned a lot of the wrong things during the last two years. Some of it needs to be unlearned and learned better for next time.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:33 PM

995 posts, read 510,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The OP and others like him have no idea what it is/was like for the health care workers.

Furthermore, they don't take into account the liability of the hospital in regards to the spread of Covid.

Having a bunch of people trapesing through ICU's and the like causes increased risk of spread. It would be an infection control nurses worst nightmare.

Finally, if they did allow visitation these same people would be whining and crying about having to wear a mask.
Actually, I was able to visit my sister-in-law recovering from heart surgery in late 2020, and she was in the ICU. That hospital had no problem allowing visitors, no time limit either. It was supposed to be one person at a time, but they didn't have a problem with two of us being there. Was this true of most hospitals approx nine months into the pandemic?

Old 03-17-2022, 01:41 PM

7,506 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Are you familiar with the phrase "hindsight is 20/20"?
This isn’t hindsight. These were decisions made knowing that data was bad and incomplete or worse gross incompetence. My opinion is a combination of both. I would also venture a guess that the net worth of these individuals increased significantly in the last two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies