Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 11:02 AM

14,891 posts, read 12,049,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Masks makes little to no different about how warm someone feels nor does it have little effect on someone’s breathing ability. I think people are just finding excuses to whine and complain about wearing a face mask.
Apparently you haven't been to Florida, or some of the other southern Gulf coast states in the summer. It can be miserable, especially if the mask is well fitting and worn properly as recommended.

The last time I wore a mask was in a doctor's office last month. When they checked my vital signs, my pO2 saturation was 92%. Since it usually runs around 99%, and I have no respiratory issues and was not sick, I could only attribute it to the mask. The nurse agreed with me, and said she sees that quite often with people wearing masks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2022, 12:22 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,103,316 times
I'm not scared to go maskless and usually do on my own time now, but there are still a few places that require it like dr and dentist offices. And there are still many people wary of this freedom that my coworker and I decided that the few hours a week we interact with the public we will continue to wear them... for now. At this point it's about a 75% maskless public vs 25% still masking up when they come to our business. Unless something terrible happens I figure we'll probably stop wearing them altogether by May.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:29 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,616,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well employee policies aren't put out on the internet for all to see.
One has to ask the employees unless you are an employee yourself.
It's pretty easy to figure out. If you see 10 employees in the store and 8 of them have masks on, then it's not a mandatory employer policy. Spent my weekend in three grocery stores, Marshall's and Nordstrom. I'd say 90% of the employees wore masks, but there were a few who did not. Makes it clear, it's optional.

Our area has always been high-compliance for masks so it's not surprising that people continue to wear them.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:32 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,616,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm not scared to go maskless and usually do on my own time now, but there are still a few places that require it like dr and dentist offices. And there are still many people wary of this freedom that my coworker and I decided that the few hours a week we interact with the public we will continue to wear them... for now. At this point it's about a 75% maskless public vs 25% still masking up when they come to our business. Unless something terrible happens I figure we'll probably stop wearing them altogether by May.
I've been going maskless also for a few weeks. My employer (federal building) has dropped the requirement based on community spread. If that ticks up again to XX amount of cases per 100,000 then they go back on.

All of my doctor and dentist offices are still wearing them. I had a follow up appointment with my orthopedic surgeon this past week and the whole office was masked (very croweded office, lots of staff, lots of patients) and he said they will be the last bastion of masking. All the doctors tend to believe in them and he said he doesn't like being in close quarters with the general public all day. He said it's important to him to keep COVID numbers down in his office so he can continue to see patients, not have staff out sick all the time, and he needs to keep up with his surgical schedule.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:44 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,906,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
"Congratulating them for being able to breathe again." That's just a weird remark.
I guess for those who can’t recognize good natured humor it is.

Old 03-20-2022, 01:49 PM

3,343 posts, read 1,225,169 times
Quote:
Yeah, kinda silly if you ask me. Either people wear a mask or not. Virus can spread both indoors and outdoors.
Hahah
Technically you're right but the risks are drastically different
I mean someone could cough into your mouth outdoors I guess.

Old 03-20-2022, 02:40 PM

42,678 posts, read 17,872,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I guess for those who can’t recognize good natured humor it is.
Thank you. I said this to 2 people and both smiled and we laughed. No one doubts the pandemic was real but sometimes its good to laugh over something because it lifts your spirits.

We have got to get out of survival mode and back to living.

Old 03-20-2022, 03:36 PM

3,435 posts, read 1,380,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
People were doing that before the pandemic. Did you live with it then and no mask ?

Yep, and that's why I always was sick in bed with a bad cold or flu twice a year during the Fall/Winter. And Covid is more contagious and more deadly than the cold or flu, hence why I wear a mask now.

Old 03-20-2022, 03:44 PM

46,222 posts, read 26,988,484 times
Quote:
Yep, and that's why I always was sick in bed with a bad cold or flu twice a year during the Fall/Winter. And Covid is more contagious and more deadly than the cold or flu, hence why I wear a mask now.
A very simple question.

Prior to CV19, what did you do?

Be honest, and tell us all.....we are waiting.

Old 03-20-2022, 03:55 PM

8,343 posts, read 4,329,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
A very simple question.

Prior to CV19, what did you do?

Be honest, and tell us all.....we are waiting.

As a nurse .... in the hospital we would deal with flu, MRSA, Staph, TB, Hepatitis, Meningitis, HIV and others. Before entering the room we mask, gown and glove. They come off before we leave the room. Been doing that for 25+ years in various health settings. Its serious business that not only requires the use of PPE but sometimes negative pressure rooms to help ensure containment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies