Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 08:37 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I've been working from home for over two years, so my job doesn't require me to be at risk for exposing myself to many different people all day everyday. But I'm quite surprised to see many workers out there, whether it be salesmen at Macy's or Best Buy or cashiers at a store, supermarket or fast food restaurant, who aren't afraid to go maskless. They are out there everyday interacting with strangers (people who could be carriers of all sorts of illnesses) and they are not afraid to be maskless. What is up with that? And most importantly, how do these people not contract any sickness, especially something as contagious as Omicron?
I have never been afraid of getting sick, and covid never changed that. I am just not worried about it. It is truly a good feeling not to have that burden on my shoulder. I work as a Cat scan tech in a larger downtown Chicago hospital in the ICU and ER departments. I am exposed every day. Not once have I been worried. I only wear a mask when it's required. That is it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 08:49 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post
My GFs father had COVID in december too, and he died. I’ve had three people in my extended family die of COVID, and a few other family/friends end up pretty close. I work with people who ended up on ventilators and survived… some are okay, some are now on oxygen wherever they go. I have a sibling going through cancer treatment, and a mother with kidney failure. If wearing a mask could/would prevent any of these people from dying, I’m okay with that. It's a small inconvenience for the people I love.
Quote:
Thank you. It's about time someone sees where I'm coming from. Seriously, I'm really starting to believe that I am indeed "trolling" just because it almost seems like the whole world is fighting against me on this topic. Didn't think all the responses would be so one sided.
The great thing is that nobody’s stopping anyone from wearing a mask or as many of them as they like. It’s wonderful to have choices.

Old 03-17-2022, 08:51 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Thank you. It's about time someone sees where I'm coming from. Seriously, I'm really starting to believe that I am indeed "trolling" just because it almost seems like the whole world is fighting against me on this topic. Didn't think all the responses would be so one sided.
No one is fighting you. You can wear a mask 24/7 if you want. No one will stop you.
But...don't try to push your views on masks on others.

Me..I don't remember the last time I wore a mask...sometime in early 2021 I think.

Old 03-17-2022, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...well, which is it?..in post #3, you write..."Personally, I'd be afraid."...
Bingo

Old 03-17-2022, 08:52 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
I admit, it does sound silly, but it's true. My mom does it, but not me. I try to convince my mom that she's going a tad bit overboard but she just tells me to shut up. My dad backs her up and does the same thing. So when you're fighting a 2 against 1 battle (which is always the case when trying to talk sense into my parents), then there's no way I'm going to win.

That's why I don't hope to win with you either.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:01 PM

3,484 posts, read 1,403,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
No one is fighting you. You can wear a mask 24/7 if you want. No one will stop you.
But...don't try to push your views on masks on others.

Me..I don't remember the last time I wore a mask...sometime in early 2021 I think.

But what is the big deal? Once you have it on, you forget you have it on! And to top it off, you are well protected!

Old 03-17-2022, 09:06 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,917,128 times
Quote:
I admit, it does sound silly, but it's true. My mom does it, but not me. I try to convince my mom that she's going a tad bit overboard but she just tells me to shut up. My dad backs her up and does the same thing. So when you're fighting a 2 against 1 battle (which is always the case when trying to talk sense into my parents), then there's no way I'm going to win.
If it makes her feel safer that is her right to do so, if I want people to respect my right not to wear masks, I respect the right for people to wear what makes them feel safe.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:10 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
But what is the big deal? Once you have it on, you forget you have it on! And to top it off, you are well protected!

I will NEVER forget I have it on and don't believe people who say this. I start sweating immediately if I have to walk around in a mask. Can't express adequately how much I hate wearing them.

And I don't believe you are "well protected" wearing it. Neither do the latest studies... Neither does common sense. So it's just misery for very little good, IMHO. That makes it a big enough deal for me.

I don't really mind if other people do wear them... I just think in most settings for most people, it's just increasingly irrational.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:13 PM

3,484 posts, read 1,403,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
If it makes her feel safer that is her right to do so, if I want people to respect my right not to wear masks, I respect the right for people to wear what makes them feel safe.

Oh goodness, the ignorance in this thread. Me wearing a mask does no harm to others, so yes, you should respect me. But YOU not wearing a mask DOES harm others since you are exhaling aerosols in the air. So if you're infected with Covid and the indoor setting is not well ventilated, you are harming people around you. So yes, you should respect me for wearing one, but I sure as hell don't have to respect you for not wearing one!

Old 03-17-2022, 09:14 PM

Quote:
That’s your opinion, and it’s obvious that many folks don’t feel that way.

If you wear a mask and feel you’re well protected, why do you insist others should wear masks even though they don’t want to? Do you not trust your mask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies