Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 06:13 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Yes. Trans people have existed as long as people have existed. Except for most of history we were, for the most part, shamed into silence, or driven to suicide, or sometimes killed off. It's marginally safer to be out than it used to be.

Here is some reading for you (and anyone else) if you'd like to know.

https://www.yesmagazine.org/social-j...nder-diversity

https://www.getty.edu/art/exhibition...nder_lives.pdf

https://theconversation.com/trans-pe...nore-it-169013
Why not advocate for better mental health resources and so forth? Many trans people still have severe mental health issues after they transition. Why not help the small minority of people who believe they were born the wrong gender, instead of making 97% of the world go along with the lie that a man is a woman and a woman is a man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 06:45 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I brought it up in a generalized concept as a possible pamphlet to go along side the tucking pamphlet, which supports mental illness. I also brought it an example of it because you were saying someone's behavior means that they are NOT mentally ill. So since that transgendered person is nice, well that means that aren't mentally ill. Which is absolute garbage. Just because someone is nice doesn't mean that they don't have mental problems.

YOU made the about statement about transgenders and suicide, blaming suicide on circumstance rather than mental illness.

Which is also absolute garbage. If societal 'pressure' were a main reason for suicide, every person in a concentration camp or every slave in the US would've killed themselves. Talk about societal pressure.

It's not the circumstance, it's the illness.
So you admit you brought it up not I.
I never said someones behavior means they are not mentally ill or because a person is nice they are not mentally ill. I said gender dysphoria is not a mental illness.

After your story about committing suicide I stated most like if a trans committs suicide it is due to how they are received by society and not being able to get the help they need, not because being trans is a mental illness.

You really need to stop stretching and twisting peoples words.

Old 03-22-2022, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Those pamphlets should be on seeking counseling and accepting who you were born as. Hormones, surgeries, even binding and tucking can do damage to the body. Surgeries and hormones should be last resort solutions for people who truly suffer from gender dysphoria.

The medical community should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this nonsense to continue.

My sibling is a MTF transperson and is a shadow of the person I grew up with because he has changed so much after being indoctrinated into the trans community. I feel like I lost my family member and the "therapists" and other medical "experts" who were suppose to help him failed to do so.
They should do that for those seeking any kind of plastic surgery, physical deformity, breast augmentation, piercings, botox, hair dye, etc. Accept who you were born as.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:00 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So you admit you brought it up not I.
I never said someones behavior means they are not mentally ill or because a person is nice they are not mentally ill. I said gender dysphoria is not a mental illness.

After your story about committing suicide I stated most like if a trans committs suicide it is due to how they are received by society and not being able to get the help they need, not because being trans is a mental illness.

You really need to stop stretching and twisting peoples words.
I didn't twist your words.

You blame society for causing a suicide. That's ridiculous. The only one responsible for a suicide is the person who commits it. Because only mentally ill people kill themselves. Mentally healthy people do. not. commit. suicide.

Otherwise we would have random suicides happening every day all over the place since it could happen anywhere at any time since mental illness apparently does not cause suicide, according to you. It's society's fault. They are the cause. So if the cashier is mean to someone, they go home and commit suicide. It's society's fault.

Ridiculous.

Stop with the mental gymnastics. Life will make more sense once logic is embraced. Just a tip.

PS. Logic and compassion go hand in hand. One should NEVER cancel the other.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
They should do that for those seeking any kind of plastic surgery, physical deformity, breast augmentation, piercings, botox, hair dye, etc. Accept who you were born as.
I'm a 3-legged unicorn with purple fur.

Where's my pamphlet?

Old 03-22-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
It is becoming steadily known that schools/teachers in liberal places are actively encouraging young people to identify as transgender. They are specifically targeting girls. I recommend the book “Irreversible Damage†by Abigail Shrier.

https://www.amazon.com/Irreversible-.../dp/1684510317

Moreover, it is absolutely ludicrous to compare something that is abnormal and rooted in mental illness with sexual activity among teenagers.
That maybe true and I dont support pushing or encouraging young people to identify as anything, certainly not the opposite of what they are born, and certainly not surgeries or drugs. There is a difference in being understanding and supporting and enabling and encouraging. Young people need time to grow and mature and figure out who they are.

And yes it is a legitimate comparison. We dont really support our minor children having sex at a young age. We feel they are not really mature enough to make wise decisions. Yet they are going to do it anyway regardless of our disapproval, threats or punishment. Therefore why not give them the information and tools to do it safely. Same as tucking. They are and are going to do it anyway. Why not give them the information and tools to do it safely.

For the record, this thread is about the pamphlet at a hospital about tucking and taping. It is not about encouraging people to identify as transgender or lobbing off their penis. My posts reflect that.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I didn't twist your words.

You blame society for causing a suicide. That's ridiculous. The only one responsible for a suicide is the person who commits it. Because only mentally ill people kill themselves. Mentally healthy people do. not. commit. suicide.

Otherwise we would have random suicides happening every day all over the place since it could happen anywhere at any time since mental illness apparently does not cause suicide, according to you. It's society's fault. They are the cause. So if the cashier is mean to someone, they go home and commit suicide. It's society's fault.

Ridiculous.

Stop with the mental gymnastics. Life will make more sense once logic is embraced. Just a tip.

PS. Logic and compassion go hand in hand. One should NEVER cancel the other.
This is not about suicide.
My first husband committed suicide. He was not mentally ill. My best friends brother committed suicide, he was not mentally ill.
Perhaps you have a different definition of mental ill. I dont consider suffering from temporary mild depression brought on by a major trauma or life altering experience like a break up, divorce, loss of a loved one, job loss, etc. to be a mental illness, maybe you do.

Twisting my words again. I did not say all suicides were societies fault, I didnt say any were.
Suicide is the 12th leading cause of death in the US. The majority of suicides are of white middle aged men, yet the majority suffering mental illness are women.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I'm a 3-legged unicorn with purple fur.

Where's my pamphlet?
I'm sure your local hospital has one for you.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I'm sure your local hospital has one for you.
They don't. Does yours?

But today I feel like a [XX year-old] [XXX-pound], [insert race], [insert sex].

Can you send me a pamphlet on that, too?

They are going to need a lot of different pamphlets .....

Old 03-22-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
This is not about suicide.
My first husband committed suicide. He was not mentally ill. My best friends brother committed suicide, he was not mentally ill.
Perhaps you have a different definition of mental ill. I dont consider suffering from temporary mild depression brought on by a major trauma or life altering experience like a break up, divorce, loss of a loved one, job loss, etc. to be a mental illness, maybe you do.

Twisting my words again. I did not say all suicides were societies fault, I didnt say any were.
Suicide is the 12th leading cause of death in the US. The majority of suicides are of white middle aged men, yet the majority suffering mental illness are women.
I've very sorry for your loss.

But it is mental illness. Depression? Is mental illness. The decision to kill oneself is not made by a mentally healthy person.

Similar to healthy people get cancer. Then they are not healthy. Because they have cancer. We don't ignore it and say, well he's healthy, he just has cancer. He doesn't need treatment. We treat the medical issue.

To get them healthy again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies