Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 10:54 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Oh great. We need the skinny jeans crowd to rule the country. Folks that can’t even work on their own cars or mow their own grass are gonna solve the worlds problems. Same people that view everything through a cell phone that is glued to their hand. No thanks.
Yup I agree. The less millennials in power the better we are. I hope the baby boomers and Gen X continue to run the country until they physically cannot.

No skinny jeans in Congress, no safe spaces either. Let the adults take care of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 10:54 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton929 View Post
Experience isn't everything though, and too much can have downsides as well.
Didn't Trump supporters claim that one reason they liked him was because he wasn't a traditional politician and that no political experience was a positive thing? Being a politician is usually one field where you don't need any formal training or expertise to excel.

People who label themselves as "career" anything are usually experienced but often lack the ability to accept change. My SO's former company was run by a really old school management team who were incredibly knowledgeable in their field but failed to adapt to a younger or different workforce. When COVID hit, they struggled to accept that working from home can be as productive as working from the office. They refused to provide employees with laptops and made them either take home their clunky office desktop or use their own personal device. They would constantly monitor employee time at home and require them to sign in to some app that checks their active time on the computer. Needless to say, a lot of people quit after a few months.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:45 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yup I agree. The less millennials in power the better we are. I hope the baby boomers and Gen X continue to run the country until they physically cannot.

No skinny jeans in Congress, no safe spaces either. Let the adults take care of things.
Ugh. You are so behind. Millennials are approaching middle age now. Skinny jeans are a decade ago.

If you want to be taken seriously, the current younger generation is called Gen Z. They don't dress like you think they do.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:59 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Like banning books on Gender equality, LGBTQ issues or CRT. Lots of that book banning going on with the totalitarian right currently.

Jan 6th comes to mind.

Sounds like the “approval” process for Truth Social.

You may never credit a democrat for anything. You may never say anything nice about a democrat. You must only believe they want to destroy America.

Words like “Liberals”, “Cancel culture”, “Politically correct” have been subverted by the right to mean some negative unrelated definition.

“The election was stolen”, “Trump actually won the election”, “The election should be reversed”, “Jan 6th was no big deal.” Dare to disagree (Liz Cheney, Mitt Romney) - you are CANCELED. Censured. Shunned. Worse, threatened with violence. Just for trying to speak the truth.

See above. Sadly.

“The election was stolen” “Trump actually won” “Ukrainians are Nazis”

Thanks for the list big guy!

Old 03-24-2022, 05:03 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
There is a happy medium somewhere between extremes. I don't want a 25-year-old running things, and I don't want an 85-year-old running things. It isn't ageism, but common sense. Yes, the 25-year-old lacks life experience and maturity; and the 85-year-of lacks basic stamina, physical and mental. Mental acuity slips with age. You want someone who is sharp, intelligent, experienced, and with excellent judgment.
The bolded is the problem with many of our young people - no experience and no common sense - AOC and Omar are prime examples.

I have called for term limits for years as anyone in office that makes it a career becomes complacent. They care more about what the job can do for them than actually doing the job to protect the interests of the people they represent. We need new blood and new ideas but the young should start at the bottom and get involved in school boards, their local elections and work their way up - not like AOC or Obama - a bartender and Community Organizer being elected to high level jobs in our gov.

Now the lefties are going to throw Trump my way and that's OK because like Perot and other business people - they keep track of what's going on in the nation and world because it will affect their business. They also know how to run a business successfully and the gov is a business.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:24 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Didn't Trump supporters claim that one reason they liked him was because he wasn't a traditional politician and that no political experience was a positive thing? Being a politician is usually one field where you don't need any formal training or expertise to excel.

People who label themselves as "career" anything are usually experienced but often lack the ability to accept change. My SO's former company was run by a really old school management team who were incredibly knowledgeable in their field but failed to adapt to a younger or different workforce. When COVID hit, they struggled to accept that working from home can be as productive as working from the office. They refused to provide employees with laptops and made them either take home their clunky office desktop or use their own personal device. They would constantly monitor employee time at home and require them to sign in to some app that checks their active time on the computer. Needless to say, a lot of people quit after a few months.
So what? I don't see how they handled their workforce during Covid had anything to with whether they were young or old. They were taking cost savings measures. Were the young being treated any different than the older ones in their workforce?

Old 03-24-2022, 08:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Beyond local politics (city councils, utility districts) it takes money and the support of many other people to be elected. That limits the people who can run for national offices. Add to that the lack of term limits, and you have the current old codger government. If a president can only fill two terms, why is there no limit on the congress and senate? This can only be fixed by voting out incumbents, because they are never going to pass term limits on themselves, and give up their cushy jobs. Of course, we don't want to throw out the baby with the bath water, so a blanket vote against incumbents may not be ideal.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:07 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
You work your way up throughthe ranks of influence until you gain recognition and prove you will serve who votes for you or more likely the influence peddlers who put you in office.
Nowadays you're owned early on and that speeds things up. AOC, Gabbard, Booker, Bootigieg, Obama are examples.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:59 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
The bolded is the problem with many of our young people - no experience and no common sense - AOC and Omar are prime examples.

I have called for term limits for years as anyone in office that makes it a career becomes complacent. They care more about what the job can do for them than actually doing the job to protect the interests of the people they represent. We need new blood and new ideas but the young should start at the bottom and get involved in school boards, their local elections and work their way up - not like AOC or Obama - a bartender and Community Organizer being elected to high level jobs in our gov.

Now the lefties are going to throw Trump my way and that's OK because like Perot and other business people - they keep track of what's going on in the nation and world because it will affect their business. They also know how to run a business successfully and the gov is a business.
The only two "young people" examples people in this thread can come up with are AOC and Omar. I can come up with far more examples of "old people" examples who have many years of experience, yet are terrible at their job, or are so old that they aren't capable of keeping up with a quickly changing world.

Our current president, the past president, Dianne Feinstein, Mitch McConnell, Nancy Pelosi are just a few names I can think of in 30 seconds.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:01 AM

1,213 posts, read 567,936 times
I don’t want young people in power. Most of them are about as smart as a wet sock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies