Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I know the definition of what is a woman and a man?
I know the definition of what is a woman and a man 127 92.03%
I agree with Ketanji Brown Jackson and need a Biologist to determine that 11 7.97%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 05:43 AM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
No, Hard Science determines what is male or female, not what a woman is. Woman is a social construct, not biological. It is not the fault of science that American society interchanges the words because science does not.

Social sciences use woman because culturally it is interchanged but those are not hard sciences, biology has never used that wording to determine SEX.

That's all well and good.

Until you start making laws based on "social constructs".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 05:45 AM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
NORMAL PERSON: "Judge Jackson, can you provide a definition of a Supreme Court justice?"

JACKSON: "Yes, it is someone who is able to weigh a variety of complicated inputs and arrive at a decision."

NORMAL PERSON: "Very well, then. Judge Jackson, can you provide a definition of the word 'woman'?"

JACKSON: "No, I can't."

NORMAL PERSON: "I see that you lack the ability to make a decision based on simple and obvious inputs. Your nomination to the Supreme Court is denied."
Yes indeed. If someone is so stupid or ignorant, and is glad to admit it on nationwide TV and in a yooj Congressional hearing, they are clearly not Judge material. Justice material.
Lacks to brains of a three year old.
But she got nominated because of what she looks like?
We have come a long way, retrograde.

Old 03-23-2022, 05:46 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Belling talked on his show about how people today have this need to defer all analysis of subjects to so called "experts" on said subject rather than using the brain God gave them and critical thinking skills to make their own opinions on subjects. This would seem to be an extension of that. I'm not a biologist, so I'm not qualified to say what gender is.

I'm pretty sure if you asked a real biologist, and not a political hack, off the record, they'd tell you there are 2 genders, determined at birth, not 60 genders, determined by whoever decides one day to be whatever they want for themselves or their children.

It's like the problem we have with inept management where I work and all over society.. the middle managers defer to their higher ups and managing entire societies comes down to a few thousand establishment hacks rather than the critical thinking skills and common sense mentality of the common people. They are afraid to break chain of command and have an opinion counter to the progressive collective... because the "experts" said so. Herd mentality wired into our DNA. Thus... human nature.

The ruling class fear most the person who breaks the chain of command.... who is outside the assimilated cultural collective.

Last edited by sholomar; 03-23-2022 at 06:10 AM..

Old 03-23-2022, 05:48 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
That's all well and good.

Until you start making laws based on "social constructs".
criminals will start 'identifying' as law abiding and demand to be released from jail.

Old 03-23-2022, 05:50 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You guys are making a big deal about nothing. She'll be approved.

And that's all that matters, isn't it? The end always justifies the means.

Old 03-23-2022, 05:53 AM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
criminals will start 'identifying' as law abiding and demand to be released from jail.

Sounds pretty ridiculously far fetched.

But then again, the Democrats entire platform today would have sounded ridiculously far fetched not too long ago.

Old 03-23-2022, 05:54 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
You know, I had some respect for Sen Blackburn, but I thought this was a colossally stupid question.

It is not up to the Supreme Court to decide 'what constitutes a woman.' Jesus help us.

Old 03-23-2022, 05:57 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
I’m trying to be open minded here. Why does she need to be a biologist to answer this question? A biologist? What a weird answer

Old 03-23-2022, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Actually I was ok with her answer as the definition of "Woman" will likely be in the courts soon so she should not comment. If she were to comment and Republicans didn't like the answer would they want the judge to recuse herself in that case?

Most of you are debating Woman but are actually talking about "Female" not Woman. Woman is a social construct, even cultural as the term to illustrate expected behavior and has expected cultural connotations unrelated to the Sex of the human itself. Female is how it is defined medically when using strict wording in a say a medical publication on sex.

So Woman is actually inaccurate and not what the Senator should have asked. Blackburn wanted a biological answer then she should have said female which is the biological term, not woman.

Then I guess we need to "cancel" the word woman and replace it with female, since that is what everyone means when they say it. "Woman" has no useful definition.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:05 AM

Quote:
No, Hard Science determines what is male or female, not what a woman is. Woman is a social construct, not biological. It is not the fault of science that American society interchanges the words because science does not.

Social sciences use woman because culturally it is interchanged but those are not hard sciences, biology has never used that wording to determine SEX.

"Woman" and "female" are synonyms:

Quote:
woman

[ˈwo͝omən]

NOUN

women (plural noun)
  • an adult female human being.
    "a drawing of a young woman" · [more]

synonyms:
    lady · adult female · female · girl · person · lass · lassie · wife · colleen · Frau · Signora · Señora · maid · maiden · damsel · demoiselle · gentlewoman · *****

• a female member of a workforce, team, etc..
      "thousands of women were laid off" · [more]
    • a female person associated with a particular place, activity, or occupation.
      "a Princeton woman was recently named the Young Lawyer of the Year"
    • female adults in general.
      "woman is intuitive"
    • a disrespectful form of address to a woman.
      "don't be daft, woman!"
    • dated

a female person who is paid to clean someone's house and carry out other domestic duties.
      "a daily woman"
    • a person's wife, girlfriend, or female lover.
      "he wondered whether Billy had his woman with him"
      synonyms:
      girlfriend · girl · partner · significant other · wife · spouse · consort · fiancée · lover · mistress · sweetheart · inamorata · querida · lady friend · lady love · young lady · lady · lady wife · leman · doxy · paramour

• a person with the qualities traditionally associated with females.
      "I feel more of a woman by empowering myself to do what is right for me"
    • a female individual; one.
      "with that money, a woman could buy a house and put two kids through college"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies