Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2022, 05:15 PM

35,368 posts, read 20,737,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
in Manatee County, in Ellenton, you can get a $160K house on the water. Be at Bradenton Beach in 45 minutes. That's about what my 1st home cost in 1996.

Looks like Sarasota County is a bit tougher, since it's all much closer to the coast.

But y'all do understand that median means half the places are less than that, right?
You are saying a “mobile home” for $160k. My sis is a realtor, average home is over $250K for a small villa. Her daughter just got one in Palmetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 05:21 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,282,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
What if you are retired, disabled vet who's rented a house for 15 years and paid the extra rent when it increased at a reasonable rate and then this year it doubled? Find another place? They all doubled as well.
"Dear Landlord - I have enjoyed being your tenant and hope you agree that I've been a great one with my timely payments and not hassling you. I cannot pay your proposed new rent. I can pay a 5% increase (or whatever the number is). Would you accept that?"

Old 03-23-2022, 05:24 PM

35,368 posts, read 20,737,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
That is the thing. Honestly, I don't think anything will change until the plight of those workers starts to impact the ones that don't care, such as in reduced services when nurses, police, teachers, etc., begin to leave.
That’s already happening. With the workers not being able to live in the area, the county is crying for workers. In my area, there’s a monopoly of affordable housing - mobile homes- but 95% are over 55. We have a lot of houses that will go empty in April - for 6 months when the snowbirds return in Oct. Many are owned by Canadians. I don’t care who buys a home - but I think Veterans should have first rights. Corporations are also grabbing every home in Fl -Cash. That what my sis said. Blackstone and few more.
The much older folks who got SS check 10 yrs ago, cannot keep up with lot rentals at $800 to $1100. Last year there ran at $600. Then add the gas and other inflation.

Old 03-23-2022, 05:24 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,736,685 times
Quote:
"Dear Landlord - I have enjoyed being your tenant and hope you agree that I've been a great one with my timely payments and not hassling you. I cannot pay your proposed new rent. I can pay a 5% increase (or whatever the number is). Would you accept that?"
Landlord: We do our best to remain competitive and our pricing represents current rental standards for the area, therefore, we are not able to offer a 5% increase at this time. We thank you for being a part of our community and encourage you to visit our other properties.

Old 03-23-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Many have suggested roommates. Yes, anyone could get a roommate - or three or four. Needing roommates to make median rent implies unaffordable housing.

Roommates is not the solution to this nationwide issue.
for a large portion of folks, it appears to be.

Every time this topic arises over the last 1.5 years (post Covid panic) - EVERY time - those complaining about the problem never talk about roommates. It is always "I can't afford even JUST a 1BR (or studio)".

Just think, if everybody that needed affordable housing paired together, demand would be cut in half. 3 to a house, cut by 2/3. OMG, 4 in 1 house? Demand would drop by 75%.

Old 03-23-2022, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
That’s already happening. With the workers not being able to live in the area, the county is crying for workers. In my area, there’s a monopoly of affordable housing - mobile homes- but 95% are over 55. We have a lot of houses that will go empty in April - for 6 months when the snowbirds return in Oct. Many are owned by Canadians. I don’t care who buys a home - but I think Veterans should have first rights. Corporations are also grabbing every home in Fl -Cash. That what my sis said. Blackstone and few more.
The much older folks who got SS check 10 yrs ago, cannot keep up with lot rentals at $800 to $1100. Last year there ran at $600. Then add the gas and other inflation.
Very true. We started seeing it with low wage sectors like hospitality, but now we are seeing more nursing and teacher shortages, etc.

Sadly, no one cares about the seniors (if they are retired) since they provide no services. But when hospitals start to feel the burn and there are not enough firefighters and police, teachers, etc., people are going to start caring.

Old 03-23-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
That's hilarious.

You mean this right? https://www.zillow.com/community/col...66454319_zpid/

First off, it's not a house. It's a trailer. Yes, it is. Second, it's 55+ community, which has it's own housing regs. Third, notice the "+" tagged at the end of the price? Not getting it for $160K.
nope, not the one I saw.

this is, and given the shape (with the extra L extension back left) never realized it was a MH too. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M98906-85530

That's why I avoided talking about Sarasota County, because it looks like nothing BUT doublewides all tricked up on their permanent foundations

Quote:
Look at year over year increase in single family homes. Look at rent increases.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

PS: Manatee and Sarasota counties are both on the gulf. Um ... yeah.
Oh, I proclaim nothing more than a googler's knowledge of communities on the Gulf Coast of FL. I didn't say they were on the Gulf though, I said the coast. And mentioned Bradenton Beach, which is an island (key) on the Gulf coast.

Old 03-23-2022, 05:37 PM

Quote:
for a large portion of folks, it appears to be.

Every time this topic arises over the last 1.5 years (post Covid panic) - EVERY time - those complaining about the problem never talk about roommates. It is always "I can't afford even JUST a 1BR (or studio)".

Just think, if everybody that needed affordable housing paired together, demand would be cut in half. 3 to a house, cut by 2/3. OMG, 4 in 1 house? Demand would drop by 75%.
You are an educated person who owns your own home - you have obviously made some good choices. But is that really what you see as the solution to this issue - get roommates? Is that what you would advise older workers, people with families, etc.?

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with roommates - I just think it is not that easy once you are not so young anymore, or have kids.

Old 03-23-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Landlord: We do our best to remain competitive and our pricing represents current rental standards for the area, therefore, we are not able to offer a 5% increase at this time. We thank you for being a part of our community and encourage you to visit our other properties.
you've rented the same single family home for 15 years and it's a corporation? That sucks, don't get me wrong.

Old 03-23-2022, 05:53 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,857,727 times
Quote:
nope, not the one I saw.

this is, and given the shape (with the extra L extension back left) never realized it was a MH too. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M98906-85530

That's why I avoided talking about Sarasota County, because it looks like nothing BUT doublewides all tricked up on their permanent foundations

Oh, I proclaim nothing more than a googler's knowledge of communities on the Gulf Coast of FL. I didn't say they were on the Gulf though, I said the coast. And mentioned Bradenton Beach, which is an island (key) on the Gulf coast.
No. It's not.

Please stop discussing these counties. You are not knowledgable about the housing market or geography there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies