Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2022, 07:18 PM

31,039 posts, read 22,070,533 times

Advertisements

"What happened to affordable housing?"
It was great 2 years ago. Just like everything else run by Democrats "Turned to Shet"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 07:39 PM

73,011 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Housing for dual income no kids (DINKS), that is something many people aren't building for. Families in the upper middle class are the golden ticket for real estate. There is another group that many people don't like marketing to: The single, childless individuals.

I think single/childless people tend to have the hardest time with housing, especially affordable housing. A single person with no roommates tends to pay higher rents. The demand for 1 bedroom apartments often outstrips supply. Living alone is expensive.

You pay more (per person) for rent because you live alone. Also, many apartments are built for multiple people. I notice that 1 bedroom apartments run out very fast. Another theory I have is risk factor. Single, can men might be viewed as a risk. The idea being "single men tend to commit more crime, and tend to be more reckless". My theory is that making a single person pay more might filter out trouble makers.

I view it as a bachelor tax.

Old 03-26-2022, 07:56 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
I don’t see this as a “problem”. I’m certainly not going to spend 1 million on a property only to have crime surrounding me
Edit: I cannot afford a million dollar property (not even close) but if I could, well, no way would I want low income housing around me.
So in my area they put a low income housing project out in the country near the edge of town just outside city limits. Section 8 people are welcomed. A three-bedroom home rents for $872 per month, and a four-bedroom home rents for $972 per month. Rent includes water and sewer services. Each home has a two-car garage. I wouldn't be surprised if that caused surrounding rural land to go up. But considering how few decent jobs are available here, I'm not sure $872 a month on a 3 bedroom house is affordable to many people.

https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/ho...ec1101f0a.html

Old 03-26-2022, 07:59 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"What happened to affordable housing?"
It was great 2 years ago. Just like everything else run by Democrats "Turned to Shet"
Was there ever? A lot of people don't want affordable houses or low-income housing built next to their mid class or better neighborhoods. It helps reflect why houses are so high priced in California.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:08 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Was there ever? A lot of people don't want affordable houses or low-income housing built next to their mid class or better neighborhoods. It helps reflect why houses are so high priced in California.
California's rather extreme in the NIMBYism combined with enviro-fascism. They don't want anything built and bureaucrats actively extort developers. A corrupt ****show all around.

There are laws on the books in California that allow anyone with or without standing to sue to stop any development project for literally any reason. This is the government holding your project hostage.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:25 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Liberals eff up everything.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:34 PM

35,697 posts, read 21,049,622 times
[quote=colcat;63156075]The Woodlands, TX. Very wealthy area with multiple low income housing complexes very near to multi million dollar homes. Lived there for 20 years. Yes, it happens. Crime in and around those complexes are high.[/QUOTE

I looked it up. It’s Houston - my nephew lives somewhere in Houston. Carnegie Mellon grad. Anyhow. All huge cities will have areas back to back. Harlem, Bronx and Manhattan all neighbors. Hialeah, little Haití, Doral, Coral Gables, No. Miami -all neighbors. And so forth. There’s only so much space in a city. But I can tell you - crime also comes out of those wealthy neighborhoods. Yes it does.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:38 PM

35,697 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So in my area they put a low income housing project out in the country near the edge of town just outside city limits. Section 8 people are welcomed. A three-bedroom home rents for $872 per month, and a four-bedroom home rents for $972 per month. Rent includes water and sewer services. Each home has a two-car garage. I wouldn't be surprised if that caused surrounding rural land to go up. But considering how few decent jobs are available here, I'm not sure $872 a month on a 3 bedroom house is affordable to many people.

https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/ho...ec1101f0a.html
It’s very high unless it included electricity. Some Apts are quoted as that, but they have a pay scale and the person may pay less according to income.
Some are income restricted places. You must be more than dirt Poor to get in there.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:43 PM

73,011 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
It’s very high unless it included electricity. Some Apts are quoted as that, but they have a pay scale and the person may pay less according to income.
Some are income restricted places. You must be more than dirt Poor to get in there.
Pretty much every apartment complex I've known of is income restricted. Some moreso than others. In many places there are waiting lists.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:54 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
What if a tenant had to show they had a job - any job of say 20 hours/week?
Then people who society has denied employment to will be permanently homeless through no fault of their own. You can fill out the applications every single day of your life, but it's up to the employers who gets hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies