Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 02:07 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
A major problem is that people in nice neighborhoods don't want low income housing built next to them.
You mean they don’t want loud music, gangs, police sirens, trash, loiterers, shootouts, fights, robberies, squatters, pest infestation, riots, and looting next to their residence?

Wow, how shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
What gives you the right to regulate things beyond the bounds of your property?
It’s called voting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 03:24 PM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You mean they don’t want loud music, gangs, police sirens, trash, loiterers, shootouts, fights, robberies, squatters, pest infestation, riots, and looting next to their residence?

Wow, how shocking.
It is kind of amazing all the wonders that low income housing brings to your life.

Old 03-28-2022, 04:33 PM

35,672 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Can’t fight greedy pac man. Just not right.

Investors bought around one in every seven homes in the first quarter of this year.

For single-family homes purchased by investors, there was a 4.8% increase year-over-year in the first quarter. Investors also retain the most significant market share in multifamily properties, having bought nearly 26% of those during the first quarter in the U.S.

Investors are buying everything, including lower-priced homes. One of every five lower-priced homes sold in the U.S. during the first quarter was purchased by an investor.

https://www.mymotherlode.com/article...ng-houses.html

Old 03-28-2022, 04:44 PM

62,869 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I have heard that too... seems reasonable

but they are still illegals
And the fact remains that many if not most visa over stayers leave when they are supposed to but those who jump our border illegally are here in much larger numbers and most of them have remained here or if deported they keep coming back anyway.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:17 PM

131 posts, read 51,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is kind of amazing all the wonders that low income housing brings to your life.

Presumably, this is one obvious thing that enclavism would solve.

Last edited by Colton929; 03-28-2022 at 06:29 PM..

Old 03-28-2022, 06:22 PM

25,690 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Can’t fight greedy pac man. Just not right.

Investors bought around one in every seven homes in the first quarter of this year.

For single-family homes purchased by investors, there was a 4.8% increase year-over-year in the first quarter. Investors also retain the most significant market share in multifamily properties, having bought nearly 26% of those during the first quarter in the U.S.

Investors are buying everything, including lower-priced homes. One of every five lower-priced homes sold in the U.S. during the first quarter was purchased by an investor.

https://www.mymotherlode.com/article...ng-houses.html
Do you have any idea how many Dems are, or have been, slumlords?

Old 03-28-2022, 06:29 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Inventory = any unit (SFH, townhouse, condo, whatever) that is listed on the open market for sale that is not currently "pending" or "in escrow" or under contract in any way, shape or form. Use a 7-day moving average.

Days of inventory = Inventory / (average number of homes sold over the past 12 months) * 30

Homes for sale becoming more affordable and plentiful eventually flows downstream to the rental market as prospective landlords pick up homes and put them on the market for rent.

Incentives would end when inventory reaches a certain level defined as a percentage greater than 100% of the national or state median, or some absolute number of days of inventory, whichever is greater.

This is something I pulled out of my ass in 3 seconds.

The alternative being master planning and building a city from scratch, in the middle of nowhere, and use tax incentives (e.g. no property tax for the first 10 years, and property taxes phase in over 10 years thereafter, state reimburses federal corporate/individual income tax) to get people and jobs to move there. However this would only work if the state owned land where this could be accomplished, and use the proceeds from the sale or lease of that land to offset the tax incentives.
to simplify, you're saying > 1 month of inventory? or a greater # of months?

I ask because a "balanced market" has long been seen as 6 months of inventory ... which hasn't been seen for almost 8 years in my market; 4 months hasn't been seen for 7+ years; 3 months for 5+ years.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:32 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,788,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
to simplify, you're saying > 1 month of inventory? or a greater # of months?
I suppose that would be a good starting point.

Quote:
I ask because a "balanced market" has long been seen as 6 months of inventory ... which hasn't been seen for almost 8 years in my market; 4 months hasn't been seen for 7+ years; 3 months for 5+ years.
State intervention should only take place in the most extreme of circumstances IMO, assuming it should even take place at all, and if it does take place, it should be the absolute minimum required to provide a bit of relief. A line will need to be drawn to define what that constitutes, and it certainly shouldn't be 6 months of inventory.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:49 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but its NOT a housing shortage.... its something else
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...VhJxO#image=22

Florida has Vacant housing units: 1,680,844
if you believe this from msn.com ....

do you have any link to how this was calculated? Are these second homes? Rentals between renters? Folks that have moved out of state but the house not yet sold?

Old 03-28-2022, 07:39 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
if you believe this from msn.com ....

do you have any link to how this was calculated? Are these second homes? Rentals between renters? Folks that have moved out of state but the house not yet sold?
all I know is that it says there are 16 million homes available and unoccupied... 1.6 million in florida alone

I have no Idea if they are abandoned, condemned, stuck in probate, handyman specials (which is usually a good deal) or turn key

but if I go by that, then there is not really a shortage... not sure what it is, but I would not say shortage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies