Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2022, 08:35 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Because you don't know them.

If you don't know people, and aren't in conversations with them in your home or in their homes, it would be odd to ask questions that might indicate their political leanings.

You don't appear to know very many people, and you don't seem to have keen observational skills.

I think most participants in this forum have observational skills in their lives and friendships which would lead them to know that in general, left leaning people would seek psychological therapy at a rate much higher than right leaning people, who would tend to rely on their own life skills to sort their problems out. Rather than seeking psychological therapy that could lead to a mental health diagnosis.
Always love the assumptions. I know folks from PA where I have a home to Florida where I have a home. Sounds like you live in a small bubble as you admittedly have stayed in your own area most of your life. You’re making statements based on anecdotal experiences and opinions with no proof to your claims.

If what you say is true, and if you really have those degrees, you should have no problem producing proof to your statements versus only your own opinions and observations.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:53 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post

Insane in the membrane…
Some people (conservatives) are oblivious to their own issues and in denial that they could benefit from a healthcare provider.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:17 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Some people (conservatives) are oblivious to their own issues and in denial that they could benefit from a healthcare provider.
You can say that by both liberals and conservatives, it’s not just conservatives.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:18 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Eh...I live in a moderate Blue state and I have to say that it really varies.

I know Liberals who are perfectly fine and living stable/successful lives. They do the whole BLM/woke thing every now and again but they have jobs, bills to pay, children to take care of, etc.

The most unhappy liberals would probably be the broke college kids or activists who look for things to complain about 24/7 on social media. But they're just a portion of people who deem themselves liberal.

A lot of people who consider themselves "liberal" are just ordinary or even boring people. I see some White soccer moms in the suburbs of my state with Biden/Harris stickers in their minivans and what have you while picking their kids up from schools. And I don't particularly sense any "unhappiness" on the surface level with them. The same thing holds true for conservatives too. Most Republicans I know irl are just ordinary people trying to make ends meet.

So, in essence, radical Liberals or Marxists are unhappy because their whole diatribe is that America is not progressive or "woke" enough and constantly needs their supervision and leadership to change things to fit their ideal model.

But normal Liberals or Blue Dog Liberals are no less unhappy than anyone else.
I believe that

Old 03-26-2022, 09:54 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Eh...I live in a moderate Blue state and I have to say that it really varies.

I know Liberals who are perfectly fine and living stable/successful lives. They do the whole BLM/woke thing every now and again but they have jobs, bills to pay, children to take care of, etc.

The most unhappy liberals would probably be the broke college kids or activists who look for things to complain about 24/7 on social media. But they're just a portion of people who deem themselves liberal.

A lot of people who consider themselves "liberal" are just ordinary or even boring people. I see some White soccer moms in the suburbs of my state with Biden/Harris stickers in their minivans and what have you while picking their kids up from schools. And I don't particularly sense any "unhappiness" on the surface level with them. The same thing holds true for conservatives too. Most Republicans I know irl are just ordinary people trying to make ends meet.

So, in essence, radical Liberals or Marxists are unhappy because their whole diatribe is that America is not progressive or "woke" enough and constantly needs their supervision and leadership to change things to fit their ideal model.

But normal Liberals or Blue Dog Liberals are no less unhappy than anyone else.
I've noticed the same thing. Occasionally I run into some far-left type who is just unhappy with life. However, most of the liberals I've met seem quite normal to me. Or at least no more unhappy than conservatives (I live in a red state).

Old 03-27-2022, 05:59 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
My wife and I talk about this often. I'm constantly remarking on how this all really kicked off with the "trophies for losers" debate in the '90s or '00s. In hindsight, that was clearly a symptom of a disease which had already been festering in the schools for some time, but that was the first publicly visible issue which indicated a serious problem. We should have fought harder against that.
"how this all really kicked off with the "trophies for losers" debate in the '90s or '00s."

I was coaching little league in the 80's and it was starting back then.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:00 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Funny that you say that, truly.

No one who knows me would ever characterize me that way. Pollyanna would be a more common assessment.

Yet YOU formed an opinion on ME!

I can only form my opinions on what you write.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:18 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Antidotal, but having lived in lefty Northern NJ for all my life, now living in a very red state, people are much more pleasant, tolerant, happy, and respectful in my new state.

most of the liberals in my old state were highly emotional people and would get quite upset about Trump. That being said most people in New Jersey or places like California are very stressed out because it’s very competitive in those states and it’s a rat race. i am sure that affects happiness.
I have the antidote to your anecdote. The people that I see in the more progressive areas of my state seem to be more happy. They live in communities that offer a high quality of life. In fact, it seems it is the blue areas in these red states that people are flocking to for the most part. They aren't flocking to the deep red areas of the state. Why is that, if the politics of a given area are so important for them to make that move?

Old 03-27-2022, 06:20 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,405 times
Hey OP, how does it feel that you need to live in a liberal area in order to live in a community that offers a high quality of life? It must feel miserable knowing that so many people that surround you and help make your community so pleasant to live in don't share your politics lol.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:26 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcr View Post
Looking at the threads, it does seem to be a lot more conservatives than liberals.
I don't think I would call these people conservatives so much as just garden variety whiners hanging their hats on politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies