Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2022, 09:10 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder3 View Post
I am not a fan of painting anyone with a broad brush. I don't think peoples happiness or unhappiness is determined by which political party they belong to. I live in a liberal area outside Austin Texas as a conservative and I have plenty of liberal friends who are happy, I am happy.
^^^^ A sane response, so rare on this forum!

Old 03-27-2022, 09:14 AM

866 posts, read 319,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I am not forgetting about the riots.

At all.

But I don't consider the members violent angry mobs (or laughing thieving mobs) to be a member of a party. I didn't see any of them carrying any political candidate signs as they looted and pillaged.

So when I compare the violence of Jan 6, where the rioters were carrying Trump signs, with the late night looters and burners, who weren't carrying any political party signs, it's hard to compare the two as Republican Vs. Democrat.

Before I call you a democrat, you have to be registered to vote, and vote democrat. At least some times.

Democrats, on this forum, are quieter, and are underrepresented compared to posters on the right.

By about 80/20.
Yes, I'm sure the vast majority of violent demonstrators were Trump supporters. It was very easy to figure out their ideological status by their actions and words.

As for the ratio of posters here, it was not so one sided during the election. I'm guessing many don't have much to say anymore given the mess Biden and company are making of the world.

Two other points, the quality of life in Austin is going down and I'm sure many democrats are quite blissful in their ignorance.

Old 03-27-2022, 09:43 AM

62,941 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstate0fmind View Post
Yes, I'm sure the vast majority of violent demonstrators were Trump supporters. It was very easy to figure out their ideological status by their actions and words.

As for the ratio of posters here, it was not so one sided during the election. I'm guessing many don't have much to say anymore given the mess Biden and company are making of the world.

Two other points, the quality of life in Austin is going down and I'm sure many democrats are quite blissful in their ignorance.
Nailed it!

Old 03-27-2022, 09:55 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstate0fmind View Post

I've noticed a complete exodus of liberal posters when certain topics are brought up compared to a few years ago, when there was a very heavy and vocal liberal presence. The comments are definitely becoming more sane except for a handful of diehards.

It's like someone turned on the light and all the cockroaches scattered.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:21 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
This is my personal perspective.

First of all, I would say that liberals are not necessarily more unhappy, but just more conflicted.

And also realize that not everyone fits completely into one or the other "boxes". I have some views these days that would be considered almost dissident right, and a few that would be considered more liberal leaning. I am now politically unaffiliated, and have little trust in any of our political leadership, on either side.

Although I was raised in a Christian conservative home, my views and political support throughout most of my life, even up until about 10 years ago, was definitely more liberal. As a liberal Democrat, I volunteered on the Gore, Kerry, and Obama political campaigns. These days, I despise every single one of them. I am not a big fan of our spineless Republican politicians either.

As a lot of liberals I think do, in my past, I wanted to see the world the way I WANTED and WISHED it would be; the belief that we are all the same, we can all "Co-exist", unproductive people just need more opportunity, give everyone the benefit of the doubt and they will do what's right, violence and crime is all because of poverty, etc.

Then, through life experiences and things I've seen, I found I had to make the almost painful turn away from a lot of those beliefs because - they are simply not based in reality or facts.

So to me, liberal thinking is in a lot of respects, what I call "fantastical" thinking. I sometimes made poor decision based on those false, rose-colored, idealized beliefs. And the way I think now is much more conservative, hard-truths and reality based.

I'm not necessarily happier because I no longer think as a liberal. But I find I am more focused because I am no longer continually disappointed and confused by the conflict between what I hoped and thought things SHOULD be like, as opposed to the realities of how things actually are. Now I am more grounded and less conflicted. And I make better decisions accordingly.
As I mentioned previously, we see a clearly demonstrated dissatisfaction with our society on many levels by the left, citing grievances real or imagined, including such an inflammatory and controversial claim that our country and society is systemically racist, insinuating that a significant majority of the members of our society are discriminatory by nature, and our country racist by design and intent. This is such a broadly applied accusation covering so many aspects of daily life, it would be reasonable to assume that persons holding such views would naturally be dissatisfied in an equally broad range of of things. And we do see this play out in countless examples involving countless special interest groups.

Consequently, it seems reasonable to say that such clearly demonstrated dissatisfaction is a direct reflection of unhappiness, no? If I am dissatisfied with my job, for example, one could rightfully view that as not being happy with the job. The same could be said if one is dissatisfied with their marriage, or their financial situation, or the home they reside in, or the community, or even the meal served them at a restaurant? Dissatisfaction equals unhappiness, by definition, and I believe that is an important point to keep in mind when assessing the question of whether the left is more or less unhappy compared to the right.

It’s also helpful to define in basic terms, conservative relative to liberal. The conservative point of view is often described as the ideological view of maintaining the status quo, which is resistant to change, while the liberal point of view is all about change, often including radical change. Is that a fair statement? I think so.

Assuming that is a fair characterization, what does it say about the conservative position that embraces the status quo, and resists change? Would that indicate satisfaction with how things are, and by nature, more happy, compared to the indication of dissatisfaction on the part of those who insist that many changes are needed and necessary to correct fundamental injustices? This is just a more detailed way of saying what I originally stated more simply .... that to identify those most unhappy, you need only observe who is complaining the most.

I would also suggest that cynicism depicts a more negative viewpoint of life, compared to optimism, which reflects more positivity. Those who view our country as fundamentally racist, and unjust, in my opinion demonstrate an extreme cynicism, and by such definition far more dissatisfied, and consequently the most unhappy.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:21 AM

23,975 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I've noticed a complete exodus of liberal posters when certain topics are brought up compared to a few years ago, when there was a very heavy and vocal liberal presence. The comments are definitely becoming more sane except for a handful of diehards.

It's like someone turned on the light and all the cockroaches scattered.
And I notice also some topics that are ignored and/or abandoned. Like the money Ginni Thomas has been paid through the years. Or when DH forgot to disclose it.

In case you want to label me a liberal, the last presidential candidate I joyfully voted for was Barry Goldwater.

ETA How did Ross Perot slip my mind? So there's 2, in 3 election cycles.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:53 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
It was very easy to “observe” what political side most of the rioters, looters, burn it down folks, etc…, were on that caused $2B in damages, without having to carry political signs.
No, it wasn't.

What you could observe, is the peaceful demonstrators in the daytime, who chanted, and marched, and sang, were largely democrats, and carried symbols that could identify them by party.

The group that cleaned out the Target electronics department were different people, with different goals.

Old 03-27-2022, 11:01 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
No, it wasn't.

What you could observe, is the peaceful demonstrators in the daytime, who chanted, and marched, and sang, were largely democrats, and carried symbols that could identify them by party.

The group that cleaned out the Target electronics department were different people, with different goals.
Then your observation skills aren’t as good as you think they are, and it’s funny how you’re only referring to the daytime to deflect what happened the rest of the time during the rioting, looting, burning it down, etc…, because of poor Floyd.

They were opportunists that used the Floyd excuse to loot so many stores, but please do tell how stealing tvs, shoes, etc…, helps defend a cause?

Old 03-27-2022, 11:05 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcr View Post
The issue with the riots which was an issue, is separate from a planned attack on the Capitol though and not comparable.
You’re right it wasn’t comparable. The looting, robbing, burning it down, etc…, to the tune of $2B was so much worse than the Capitol riot. At least the Capitol rioters left peacefully.

Proof to a planned attack on the Capitol?

Old 03-27-2022, 11:08 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
No, it wasn't.

Same groups, dear.

Embrace honesty.

It'll make you happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies