Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 06:07 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
They weren't anti-Russian....right up until Russia invaded them. Oddly they weren't all that upset about the 2014 invasion where Russia took Crimea, probably because there was not a ton of lost life.

Let me assure you. every single Ukrainian I talk to currently has a DEEP hatred of Russia now. And its not something that's going to go away.
This. Besides the direct deaths. They were in sight of truly being part of the EU. Yes it was a ways away but they saw their future. Kiev was a beautiful city. They have been set back a decade even if they win completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2022, 06:16 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
What will Russia do next since they are losing?
wow there's a sucker born every day

Old 03-29-2022, 06:18 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
wow there's a sucker born every day
I lol’ed as soon as I read the thread title.
Mass media is a powerful drug

Old 03-29-2022, 06:41 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Today has Ukraine pushing back and rolling Russian troops back. Its VERY apparent Russia is losing. Watch Borodyanka for example. Its one of the Russian staging areas, and its now under assault. If Ukraine takes it, they will cut the logistics for the entire NW region. And they've been hammering the Russian logistics non stop.

Ukraine now has more anti tank weapons, then Russia has vehicles in theatre. Notice-I didn't say "that Russia has tanks". Then Russia has vehicles TOTAL.

And while our last generation tech has been destroying Russian vehicles, we are now seeing some current generation anti-aircraft missiles show up. The Starstreak surface to air has now arrived, and were going to see Russian air loses get a tad nuts I think. Its a UTTERLY terrifying weapon if you are in a aircraft.

The bottom line? Russia now trying to claim they never were going to take Kyiv, and its all a distraction. They really are all about taking Crimea and the breakaway areas.....Yeah. No. Russia is losing.

So the question I have is if Russia is losing, whats their next step?

Here is my guess. Putin will be removed. Or Russia is going to keep pushing to take land in the south of Ukraine. And keeping pressure up north. Ukraine will keep hammering their logistics, and then begin to make assaults. Russia is going to take even harder losses.

Eventually Russia will sue for peace, and back out. Or more likely try and keep a land bridge to Crimea. Ukraine will agree to not enter NATO.

If Russia refuses to negotiate for too long Ukraine WILL push Russia back. The only way that changes is if their military starts to act competent. If Ukraine is forced to fight Russia til they are pushed back, peace will occur in the end....but with devastating consequences for Russia. Ukraine will demand damages.

Either way though? Russia is in trouble. They've made the entire world look at them as a pariah. The Russian people will unnecessarily suffer, and they have a neighbor that 100% hates their guts.

I cant even begin to state how much of a military disaster this is for Russia. Russia is not taking Ukraine. They did not bring nearly enough military given that Ukraine is fighting back.

Those thinking Putin will escalate? If that occurs-IE nukes of chemical or biological? I would be shocked. If that happens all bets are off. Russia loses big. We all might.
They won't "lose the war".

They have too many resources compared to Ukraine. They are redirecting their forces to the Dombas region, which will encircle the Ukrainian forces there.

With enough casualties, Russia will "declare victory" and just take the two breakaway provinces and the canal from the Don that feeds Crimea and call it a day.

That SHOULD HAVE BEEN their initial and only objective, as both could have been easily achieved with far fewer casualties. In this fashion, they secure the water to Crimea, create a "buffer" to Russia, and gain the oil and gas reserves in the Black Sea.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:54 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,212,614 times
Quote:
Today has Ukraine pushing back and rolling Russian troops back. Its VERY apparent Russia is losing. Watch Borodyanka for example. Its one of the Russian staging areas, and its now under assault. If Ukraine takes it, they will cut the logistics for the entire NW region. And they've been hammering the Russian logistics non stop.

Ukraine now has more anti tank weapons, then Russia has vehicles in theatre. Notice-I didn't say "that Russia has tanks". Then Russia has vehicles TOTAL.

And while our last generation tech has been destroying Russian vehicles, we are now seeing some current generation anti-aircraft missiles show up. The Starstreak surface to air has now arrived, and were going to see Russian air loses get a tad nuts I think. Its a UTTERLY terrifying weapon if you are in a aircraft.

The bottom line? Russia now trying to claim they never were going to take Kyiv, and its all a distraction. They really are all about taking Crimea and the breakaway areas.....Yeah. No. Russia is losing.

So the question I have is if Russia is losing, whats their next step?

Here is my guess. Putin will be removed. Or Russia is going to keep pushing to take land in the south of Ukraine. And keeping pressure up north. Ukraine will keep hammering their logistics, and then begin to make assaults. Russia is going to take even harder losses.

Eventually Russia will sue for peace, and back out. Or more likely try and keep a land bridge to Crimea. Ukraine will agree to not enter NATO.

If Russia refuses to negotiate for too long Ukraine WILL push Russia back. The only way that changes is if their military starts to act competent. If Ukraine is forced to fight Russia til they are pushed back, peace will occur in the end....but with devastating consequences for Russia. Ukraine will demand damages.

Either way though? Russia is in trouble. They've made the entire world look at them as a pariah. The Russian people will unnecessarily suffer, and they have a neighbor that 100% hates their guts.

I cant even begin to state how much of a military disaster this is for Russia. Russia is not taking Ukraine. They did not bring nearly enough military given that Ukraine is fighting back.

Those thinking Putin will escalate? If that occurs-IE nukes of chemical or biological? I would be shocked. If that happens all bets are off. Russia loses big. We all might.
They will lie.
Carlson will help them.
The Ukrainian population will forever hate Russia.
Putin will never go outside again.
It turns out the Ukrainian Army has some very good snipers.
Infiltration into Putin's inner circle will take time.
A shot may get fired someday.
Who knows what will happen.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:04 AM

1,369 posts, read 613,721 times
Even with the heavy loses Putin will continue leveling Ukraine, Russia involving themselves into another quagmire like Afghanistan for a few years. If anyone recalls, Afghans rebels fought with mostly outdated second-hand weapons, made their own explosives, lived in caves, horses and donkeys literally going against tanks.

The hatred Ukrainians now have for Russia keeps worsening by the hour. If Zelensky is made into a martyr, I would expect the situation will get worse.

The only way to stop the genocide and war in Ukraine is if Putin is replaced by whatever means, and that won't be easy.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:11 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
They won't "lose the war".

They have too many resources compared to Ukraine. They are redirecting their forces to the Dombas region, which will encircle the Ukrainian forces there.

With enough casualties, Russia will "declare victory" and just take the two breakaway provinces and the canal from the Don that feeds Crimea and call it a day.

That SHOULD HAVE BEEN their initial and only objective, as both could have been easily achieved with far fewer casualties. In this fashion, they secure the water to Crimea, create a "buffer" to Russia, and gain the oil and gas reserves in the Black Sea.
To my knowledge the Russians have not yet really mobilized. A nation of 140 million people is capable of drafting a much larger army, indeed the Russians have done that repeatedly in the past. But Putin seems to want to avoid that if possible.

The problem the Russians have is the immense size of their country creates major geographic, supply and logistic problems that Russians leaders underestimate. For example, the Russian navy needs to be divided into at least 4 separate fleets (Baltic, Black Sea, Northern and Pacific) that cannot easily support each other in wartime.

The result is that the Russians will do incredibly well in one war and then incredibly bad in another.

But you are right, if the Russians limit their objectives to a couple of provinces and such, then Putin can claim a "victory" but the cost will be a Russia that is disliked and even hated (especially by Ukraine) by most of Europe, a strengthened NATO and a Russia that will be increasingly a satellite to China. To limit these costs, the Russians need to end the war as soon as possible.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:20 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Russia will make an agreement with Ukraine to take half of the country. Putin will act that they liberated the pro-Russian Ukrainians from the Nazis. Putin will prevail in Russia as a hero.

Russia will have peace for a short period of time and go 10x harder through Ukraine and probably take Ukraine, Moldova, the Baltic States and maybe part of Poland. He knows there is weakness with the Biden Administration.

This is a Interesting idea... it would be a good idea for both sides.

PS. Don't expect to get that $13 billion back (or any money back from Ukraine)!

Old 03-29-2022, 07:26 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
What will Russia do next since they are losing?

There's a real possibility that Putin will blame NATO especially the US for his loss and he might put his finger on the nuclear bombs button and threaten us again with nukes if we don't stop sending aid. I'm surprised he didn't do that from the beginning. If we don't stop he just might launch a few as a warning. Then it's all over. For everybody.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:29 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
If Russia lose the war, USA will enjoy cheap gas prices for years to come and everyone praise President Biden as the smartest leader of the world.

And just one person in the world continues to praise Putin as a genius--Trump: "Losing Ukraine like that...pure genius!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies