Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it inherently sexist to watch men's basketball, but not women's?
Yes 8 7.69%
No 96 92.31%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 03:30 PM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times

Advertisements

Is it sexist to only watch men's basketball and not women's basketball?

I have a male coworker, who is a leftist, who has been pushing people the past week and a half or so to watch women's basketball. He has stated that the networks are sexist in how they place the games and the times of the games. I told him that a lot of that has to do with TV viewership, he said that TV viewership was sexist, because some of the women's players are better than the men's players.

The NBA has no rule on gender. A woman could play in the NBA, but none has due to skill and ability. Men's basketball simply has more skill and ability, which makes the games more exciting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 03:31 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,016,975 times
No its not. If your co worker thinks it is then he is an idiot.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:39 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post

I have a male coworker, who is a leftist, who has been pushing people the past week and a half or so to watch women's basketball. He has stated that the networks are sexist in how they place the games and the times of the games. I told him that a lot of that has to do with TV viewership, he said that TV viewership was sexist, because some of the women's players are better than the men's players.

The NBA has no rule on gender. A woman could play in the NBA, but none has due to skill and ability. Men's basketball simply has more skill and ability, which makes the games more exciting.
Define men.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:40 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
today it is. LOL. The reason women's sports will never be popular is because its terrible compared to watching men play the same sport. No one is going to watch women sports at least in mass numbers.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:40 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,701,984 times
Ask your co-worker why only women's gymnastics is televised and not men's?

Old 03-26-2022, 03:45 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post

Yes it IS sexist - at least I believe so.

I hate basketball with passion to be honest - so not my cup of tea to begin with, but I hate even more watching the sports where women emulate men's moves, coming across as manly as it gets, yet at the same time "not having what it takes" to be real performers.

And probably that's how many people perceive it too, ( minus women acting/looking manly - may be this isn't such a big turn off for many as it is for me.)

But when it comes to gymnastics for example - I skip men's performance all together.

Women are much more endearing there I think and more interesting to watch.

Swimming and whatnot - it all depends.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:49 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Is it ageist to only watch college basketball but not high school? People should watch whatever sports they enjoy. Period.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:52 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,400,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Ask your co-worker why only women's gymnastics is televised and not men's?
I am guessing because a lot of men simply want to bang the woman gymnasts. Compared to say womens soccer where the "girls" have square jaws and don't shave their armpits. This applies to figure skating and the most obvious one womens beach volleyball. Even the Olympic committee regulates the bikini bottoms to be tiny and they know why.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:52 PM

2,284 posts, read 637,341 times
I cannot tell the difference between the NBA and the WBA as I’m not a biologist

Old 03-26-2022, 03:54 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Is it ageist to only watch college basketball but not high school? People should watch whatever sports they enjoy. Period.
Exactly. The South Carolina Gamecocks women's team has been #1 all year. They've been good for a long time and Dawn Staley is a hell of a coach. I actually thought USC should have moved her to men's coach before they hired their new guy a few weeks ago. None of this means I watch the women's team play. I don't. I just don't find it as good as the men's game. Personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies