Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 07:44 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,535 times

Advertisements

School systems still allow corporal punishment?

I think spanking has its place (as a last resort), but parents are the only ones with that privilege.

He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him (Proverbs 13:24).

Should we ban shellfish and mixed fabrics? Should we still stone adulterers? What does the Bible have to do with a secular, government-run school system?

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 01-04-2007 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: more information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 08:10 AM

140 posts, read 590,347 times
I have to jump in here, I agree, there is a huge difference between discipline of a child like a swat on the butt and some unrelated teacher using his or her "discretion" and determining my child needs a paddle. (By the way my kids are in college now so they would not be affected). Strangers, and teachers are strangers in this sense, do not have the right to determine the type of discretionary dscipline and physical punishment. I also agree, had a teacher ever put a hand or paddle to my child they would have to leave the state in a hurry, or be embarrassed when I took the paddle to them in front of the class. What should happen to an unruly child, one who needs discipline is tell the parent and warn them that the child will be suspended. Place the blame and the discipline back on the parent and let the teachers do what they are paid to do...teach. Really, think of it, we all have bad days, what if some teacher has a fight with his wife or husband before work, is in a bad mood and some poor kid sets him off and receives a hard paddling????? Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
I was in no way suggesting that all people who spank their children are ignorant. I am saying, in my opinion, that it is an ignorant way to discipline your child.

My life is centered on Jesus. I read my Bible every day but I still do not spank my children. I am, however, a very strict disciplinarian. I am also a stay at home Mom who is very involved with my children and try my best to keep them out of situations that may be dangerous. Have I slapped my toddler's hand as he put it up to the electrical outlet? Yes. That is a far cry from taking a belt to him at an older age.

Please, let me reiterate that I'm not saying parents who spank are ignorant, poor or bad parents in general. I just really feel it's a lazy and uneducated form of discipline.

This really isn't even a thread about how parents discipline their children. It's about educators being allowed to use their own discretion in paddling our kids.
I'm probably better off not speaking on something I feel so strongly about I'll have to agree to disagree with some of you.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:38 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
I wanted to post about this last evening after it was announced ... but this has been a fiery topic.

The ban was 6-3, new board. Initially, there had been talk about revising the corporal punishment rules but the board decided to ban it completely.

There had been a moratorium for quite some time ... a board member (here) named Peggy was very instrumental in this coming about. I believe she moved down from NY.

SL
This figures. Some one should use it on the Bad NYer. I hate my state I'll just move and turn the state I move to into what I left. Who cares if there laws work fine I don't like them so they Now suck. Bleep ta dee Bleep bleep bleep out of staters can't mind there own biss.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:38 PM

13 posts, read 47,557 times
Angry corporal punishment????

HI, I have just now found out that NC allows corporal punishment. Since I am against it, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what school do NOT allow it, and if private schools do it also. Any info would be appreciated thank you!!

Old 01-09-2007, 03:54 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Corporal punishment is out. Too bad. Then again its not the schools responsibility to punish other peoples kids because the parents wont do it themselves.

What you get in return is undisciplined kids who could care less about being in school or learning and having one less thing in their way to prevent them from causing trouble.

Its a victory for misbehaved children.

Good work, in a couple of years they will even ban suspension.
Actually no.

If there is anyone living down there that thinks like me (and I would never understand WHY they are there if they do), they may have just saved some poor teacher a horrible beating death, lol.

No way anyone hits my kids and continues to walk.

-TT

Old 03-17-2007, 07:19 AM

285 posts, read 1,091,063 times
Just stumbled upon this thread when googling the news, I am glad to share the following factual data with you:
On Wednesday, March 14, 2007, HB 853 was filed in Raleigh, NC, by Representative Martha Alexander, co sponsored by a group of legislators. A news conference was called by Alexander to announce this Bill. June Atkinson, State Superintendent of NC Schools, was invited to speak. She pledged her support of the bill. Advocates from across the state stood in support of this bill, and many spoke as well. The state groups supporting the ban include the NC Association of Educators, the NC School Psychology Association, North Carolina NAACP, Action for Children NC, NC Chapter of National Association of Social Workers, Parents and Teachers Against Violence in Education, North Carolina PTA, Prevent Child Abuse NC, Carolina Legal Assistance, Children's Health of Carolina, Council for Children, National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practicioners, NC Association of County Boards of Social Services, NC Association of County Directors of Social Services, NC Association of Directors of Development for Education of Young Children, NC Nurses Association, NC Pediatric Society, NC Council of Child and Adolesecent Psychiatry and many others.
Schools are the only institution in the US in which corporal punishment is legal. In NC, it is prohibited by law in Day care, group homes, foster care, mental institutions, Head start, Detention centers, Prisons, and jails.
It is a practice that no teacher is taught in any college in the nation, there are no continuing ed seminars on its use, it is easily abused, leads to physical injuries, and can cause serious emotional harm. I know lots of parents who "spank", I do not know of any parents who pick up a wooden plank with holes drilled in it and beat and bruise their children. Why would any responsible adult allow an educator to do so? Corporal punishment is used most widely as a first line of discipline, for the most minor of offenses, and schools that use it often have poorer academic achievement, more vandalism, truancy, and pupil violence and higher drop out rates.

Thank you for your time.
Peggy Dean
Board of Directors, PTAVE, Parents and Teachers Against Violence in Education

Old 03-17-2007, 07:32 AM

Default Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
This figures. Some one should use it on the Bad NYer. I hate my state I'll just move and turn the state I move to into what I left. Who cares if there laws work fine I don't like them so they Now suck. Bleep ta dee Bleep bleep bleep out of staters can't mind there own biss.
I am Peggy, and I am not a board member of the Union County Board of Education. I am a parent who came before the board of education for two years asking for my children to have the right to attend school without being battered with a wooden plank, for reasons that this district refused to put in writing as mandated by state law.
I grew up in the South, Nashville, TN.
I have never been to New York.
I do serve on the board of directors for a national organization, Parents and Teachers Against Violence in Education. Perhaps that is where the "board" member came into play.
Best,
Peggy

Old 03-17-2007, 08:55 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
This figures. Some one should use it on the Bad( NON Native). I hate my state I'll just move and turn the state I move to into what I left. Who cares if there laws work fine I don't like them so they Now suck. Bleep ta dee Bleep bleep bleep out of stater's can't mind there own biss.
Does it fit better NOW. LOL The original post I replied to was about a NYer But now I fixed it so everyone that moved and told locals their laws are wrong are included. If people didn't like the laws where they went. Than you should not have moved there. Do your homework before you move. and stop your complaining. Unless your where raised in a state you have NO RIGHT to complain about there laws. If you did your homework you would have known about them. If one don't like the laws DON'T MOVE THERE. But don't change a state after one moves. Why do you think most people hate out of stater's.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:53 AM

Default Knowledge of Laws

Most people would never dream of researching a law involving the beating of children at school. It has been my experience that most people think that this is outlawed in every state.
I consider myself fairly knowledgable about current events, etc, and I was floored to see a corporal punishment policy on the books in the Union County Schools code of conduct several years ago. If you have lived in parts of the country that this is not an issue, you would never know to ask. Once I found out, my advocacy became two fold. One goal was to effect change, another was to simply inform as many different people as I could.
Part of the reason that I enjoy forums such as this, is to help educate others about this issue. Many people simply do not have any idea that this still exists.
Just substitute the word "wife" or "slave" for "student", and realize that this battle has been won in the past, we are just behind the rest of the industrialized world in applying human rights to children. It was not that long ago that domestic violence was not recognized, it was a private family matter. Thankfully, that has changed. One day we will look back and say the same about beating children in schools. We are making headway.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:45 AM

http://www.charlotte.com/127/story/60422.html (broken link)
Here is an editorial from today, Charlotte Observer, on the topic at hand.

Ban the paddle
N.C. lawmakers should prohibit corporal punishment
Charlotte's Rep. Martha Alexander has filed a bill to ban corporal punishment statewide. The legislature should take this opportunity to retire an antiquated, largely ineffective tool for discipline.

Most states already outlaw paddling. So do most industrialized countries. But in North Carolina, 68 school districts still allow it, while just 47 don't. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools banned it more than a decade ago.

Rep. Alexander is joined by several other lawmakers in pushing for a statewide ban. She also has two other vital allies in this fight: state Superintendent of Public Instruction June Atkinson and Eddie Davis, president of the N.C. Association of Educators.

Current N.C. law has specific guidelines for districts that use corporal punishment. It cannot be administered in the classroom when other students are present. Only principals, teachers and certain others can administer it. Students must be informed beforehand what conduct will result in corporal punishment.

But these rules can't mitigate the problems. Research shows paddling often results in injuries to students. It shows paddling is disproportionately used on poor children, minorities, students with disabilities and boys. And educators attest that as a deterrent to bad behavior, paddling doesn't work. The same children are punished over and over. Six years ago, Avery County principals requested the ban because corporal punishment was ineffective.

In fact, corporal punishment sends exactly the wrong message to students -- that violence is an acceptable response to conflict.

Rep. Alexander said she was inspired to introduce her bill after she heard of a Robeson County 12-year-old who was hit so hard he was severely bruised and had to be taken to an emergency room. But no action was taken against the teacher. A complaint was made to the Department of Public Instruction, which reportedly said it had no authority to act.

Supt. Atkinson said new programs that teach and reward good behavior are preferable to paddling. The positive behavior model has shown a drop in referrals to principals' offices, expulsions and suspensions in the nearly 300 schools where it is used, she said.

Many of the N.C. districts that allow corporal punishment rarely use it. That's good. But Rep. Alexander noted that nearly 5,000 N.C. students were given corporal punishment in 2002. That's wrong. It's time to retire the paddle in North Carolina. Lawmakers should do so this session.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies