Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 01:55 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ld-back-better

Nothing new here -- the liberals vs. the conservative -- but one excerpt struck me as absolutely ridiculous. Per the above, QUOTE, my italics:

This country pays for wars. This country gives tax breaks to the rich," said Hostin, raising her voice over Setmayer. "This country has money for everything except for poor people."
[end quote]

Uh huh, right. What about SNAP? What about Section 8 housing? Do those funds appear by magic?

Last edited by katharsis; 03-30-2022 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 02:55 PM

2,106 posts, read 979,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

Nothing new here -- the liberals vs. the conservative -- but one excerpt struck me as absolutely ridiculous. Per the above, QUOTE, my italics:

This country pays for wars. This country gives tax breaks to the rich," said Hostin, raising her voice over Setmayer. "This country has money for everything except for poor people."
[end quote]

Uh huh, right. What about SNAP? What about Section 8 housing? Do those funds appear by magic?
Raven Symone was on today with her wife , I was surprised she was still in this country , didn’t she say she’d leave this country if Trump ever got elected president Maybe she didn’t realize he WAS elected president

Old 03-30-2022, 03:07 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
I would bet my bottom dollar that the vast majority of the poor in this country live better than the poor in 80% of the rest of the world, maybe 90%. If you've never been poor or aren't around poor people, you can't really see it or understand. Granted, I would not want to be poor. But when the state pays your bills, and even provides you with a place to live, it takes much of the worry off your mind.

Old 03-30-2022, 03:37 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

[end quote]

The ladies on the view should put their money where their mouth is and give the poor their paychecks.

Old 03-30-2022, 03:40 PM

7,371 posts, read 3,529,717 times
who even watches that garbage? retired women with too many cats? i doubt young stay at home moms are watching it as they are too busy doing yoga and complaining to their peers about how their husbands don’t help them enough.

Old 03-30-2022, 03:43 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
We have the largest entitlement culture in the history of the planet. What do they expect? Someone unwilling to work should live a middle class lifestyle? Actually I think the elites would prefer we all live in 800 square foot multi unit housing, whether you work or not (hey equity right?) while they live in their 10 bedroom mansions in gated communities.

Let's be honest here... the poor in 2020 live better than kings did in 1520 in many regards. Granted some of the Roman Emperors and various leaders of their day had lavish mansions with access to even running water but so much of the technology that keeps people safe did not exist back then. People unwilling to work should only have the bare essentials... not the latest iphone. We are spoiled as a species in my opinion.

I do think the shortage of housing is going to be the biggest issue to this planet this decade. I don't see it getting better any time soon. We can solve that by building more houses, not paying people to be unproductive.

Last edited by sholomar; 03-30-2022 at 03:52 PM..

Old 03-30-2022, 03:45 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
The ladies on the view should put their money where their mouth is and give the poor their paychecks.
This.

They are more than free to give money directly to poor people. You know, cut out the middleman.

Old 03-30-2022, 03:46 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,792,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
We have the largest entitlement culture in the history of the planet. What do they expect? Someone unwilling to work should live a middle class lifestyle? Actually I think the elites would prefer we all live in 800 square foot multi unit housing, whether you work or not (hey equity right?) while they live in their 10 bedroom mansions in gated communities.

Let's be honest here... the poor in 2020 live better than kings did in 1520 in many regards. Granted some of the Roman Emperors and various leaders of their day had lavish mansions with access to even running water but so much of the technology that keeps people safe did not exist back then. People unwilling to work should only have the bare essentials... not the latest iphone.
Nope.

People unWILLING but able to work should get nothing (or whatever they can afford out of their own pocket). You don't want to work? Fine. You're on your own then.

People unABLE to work should get the bare essentials.

Old 03-30-2022, 03:47 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
This.

They are more than free to give money directly to poor people. You know, cut out the middleman.

But if they did that, who would democrats have to manipulate and promise handouts, freebees and such to?

Old 03-30-2022, 03:55 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Nope.

People unWILLING but able to work should get nothing (or whatever they can afford out of their own pocket). You don't want to work? Fine. You're on your own then.

People unABLE to work should get the bare essentials.

Fine by me. Keep in mind there's lots of fakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies