Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 01:24 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Tell me again you don't understand without telling me you don't understand. Got it.
I guess it never occurred to you there are other ways of taming inflation besides capping people's wages. When you have high inflation, the LAST thing you would want is to keep wages from rising. Otherwise you will send more and more people into poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2022, 08:27 PM

3,317 posts, read 2,132,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I guess it never occurred to you there are other ways of taming inflation besides capping people's wages. When you have high inflation, the LAST thing you would want is to keep wages from rising. Otherwise you will send more and more people into poverty.

Let's get two things straight: I've neither stated a blanket opposition to wages rising (that's silly), nor have I advocated for "capping people's wages" (that's authoritarian).

You're either incapable of reading for comprehension, you're failing mightily at being a mind-reader, or for whatever reason you're inclined to deliberately gaslight the forum at the expense of others. I don't particularly care whether one — or some combination of the aforementioned — is the case, it's nonsense.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:57 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Here's a great example of how the workers at the lower end of the pay scale are suddenly doing much better:

Yearly percent change in average hourly earnings in leisure and hospitality:

Same for education and health services:

Nice pictures...

"On Friday morning, the Labor Department revealed that average hourly earnings rose by 5.6% year-over-year in March, up from 5.1% the month before. But surging inflation – which hit a fresh 40-year high in February– has erased those would-be gains for workers. By that measure, the typical U.S. worker is actually worse off today than they were a year ago, even though nominal wages are rising at the fastest pace in years. That's because inflation is also soaring."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...ch-jobs-report

Old 04-04-2022, 09:04 AM

And another nice picture.

The people who are most affected by rising inflation - low income workers - are the ones whose wages are rising the most. And those wage gains exceed the inflation rate.

Source: https://twitter.com/bencasselman/sta...86043587231755

Old 04-04-2022, 09:29 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Once again, the conservative mantra is that when a Dem is in office economic gains are "in spite of" and not "because of"...

In this particular situation they would be praising Trump for the numbers that you posted and continuing to blame "democrat" policy for inflation, supply chain issues and the like.

the "partisan Republican" response may be that, but not the rational conservative response. Of course, the converse is also true.

Tell us which specific actions or proclamations that Biden has made which have unleashed, not restricted, business hiring.

Old 04-04-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
the "partisan Republican" response may be that, but not the rational conservative response. Of course, the converse is also true.

Tell us which specific actions or proclamations that Biden has made which have unleashed, not restricted, business hiring.
As I have posted elsewhere ...

Let's get real: the American Rescue Plan was the best economic policy in forty years.
We would not be closing the employment gap (vs pre-pandemic levels) this quickly if not for the American Rescue Plan
Biden's Economic Performance Has Proved Unbeatable.

Without the American Rescue Plan, the recovery almost certainly would not have been so rapid, and we would also not be seeing so many jobs.

Old 04-04-2022, 09:45 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times
these are those same partisan opinion articles you keep posting? Or different ones?

No, they're the same - I see Claudia Sahm.

it is simple - what Biden actions were taken and how did they boost hiring?

Old 04-04-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
these are those same partisan opinion articles you keep posting? Or different ones?

No, they're the same - I see Claudia Sahm.
Anything that I posted in defense of Biden's economic policies, you would categorize as "partisan." So I'm not sure why you even asked.

Old 04-04-2022, 09:52 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
The jobs boom continues!

There is 1 tenth of a percentage point to go to match the pre-Covid unemployment rate low.

U.S. economy gains 431,000 jobs in March and wages surge again as labor market ‘powers ahead’

February's numbers were revised up from +678,000 to +750,000.
January's numbers were revised up from +481,000 to +504,000.

Here's the BLS release:
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm
Have we at least broke even with all the jobs lost in 2020? Or are we still trying to regain all the jobs lost?

Old 04-04-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Have we at least broke even with all the jobs lost in 2020? Or are we still trying to regain all the jobs lost?
There are still 1.579 million jobs to go. We should break even sometime in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies