Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 10:05 PM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
The pension should be a non starter. It's pensions that have forced union companies to file bankruptcy or go out of business. A pension is nothing more than a ponzi scheme. You can't keep paying people for not working the rest of their lives. The math does not add up, which is why so many union companies are bankrupt or shut down.

They should just have a 401k like most other companies.
It's more complicated than that and my father has been collecting his pension for over 20 years now with no hitch from a private company.

It's a VERY complicated issue and pensions are not necessarily the reason companies have failed, there are a variety of factors. It's absolutely not a ponzi scheme, there is a future value accrual so stop using that term if you want to be taken seriously.

Keep in mind that I'm generally against pensions and favor 401k's, I just happen to REALLY know the math and finance behind such transactions and am telling you that your comments are way off.

P.S. In general PUBLIC pensions are pay-go and not accrued, but even still that is not the same thing as a ponzi scheme. There is plenty to dislike about various pensions systems without having to incorrectly ascribe them as ponzi schemes. I could direct you to a few hundred pages of educational materials on the topic if you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 10:38 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Each person/employee is their own business with their own overhead. A business should do what is best for themselves. Why should these people accept less? So JimRom could get a blender for a few bucks less?

Listen to the language being used in this thread "Cancer", "Unskilled".....It is actually very revealing in a disappointing way. These people are our neighbors, when these people do better we are all better off because of it. The extra income will be spent locally and help their communities.
JimRom, despite his genius in business doesn't understand that Unionized workers have more buying power. Yes, blenders cost a little more but there are more people who can afford to purchase blenders. Furthermore, increased buying power in the working class increases the velocity of money. In essence, the dollar turns over more often in local economies. Partly because there are more people circulating more money and partly because the working class tends to spend more of their income on goods and services.

There are a lot of things that are troublesome about unions but the fact is that having a significant amount of unionized workers was a big reason why the '50s and '60s economy allowed upward mobility to the middle and lower middle classes.

Old 04-02-2022, 11:19 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

There are a lot of things that are troublesome about unions but the fact is that having a significant amount of unionized workers was a big reason why the '50s and '60s economy allowed upward mobility to the middle and lower middle classes.
The 50s and 60s were an anomaly, and unions just rode the wave.

Europe and Japan had a multi decade rebuild to do post WWII; the uniform shipping container was not invented making the receipt of goods from overseas not realistic as a routine way to do business. Add in, women were not competing for 95% of union jobs in the 50s and 60s, and automation was Stone age level. Plus, of course, the male available to work US population was lower than usual due to lives lost, plus limbs lost, in WWII.

Old 04-02-2022, 11:41 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
1975 was a looonnnnggggg time ago. Things have changed.

Want to know what the state of unionization is at private companies? Look at what happened with the Spectrum strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The union would drag them out in an alley and break their legs.

Lol, vote the union out in NY.

You have an extremely high partisan optimism about how unions work in real life.

Really, you sound a whole lot like the horse in Animal Farm.

Old 04-03-2022, 12:47 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
The employees voted how they wanted. Good for them. I just hope they are prepared and understand what they voted for. Nor more quick advancement if you are better than others. No more dropping the dead beat workers. You will be working hard and your neighbor will not be, but they get just as much as you do. Monthly union dues. No going in to your boss and discussing career advancement or changes within the company. This will all be dictated to them. Amazon could decide to pull out and move to a right to work state. Potentially higher wages for some, potentially better working conditions. Good luck.
But much of the same went on at the non-unionized places I worked at. One deadbeat worker told me I did too much!

Old 04-03-2022, 12:55 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The union would drag them out in an alley and break their legs.

Lol, vote the union out in NY.

You have an extremely high partisan optimism about how unions work in real life.

Really, you sound a whole lot like the horse in Animal Farm.
I have no idea what you're talking about, since my state was never able to attract much big business, hard core industry or manufacturing.

Furthermore, I was a union member for 25 years and can't relate to what you're talking about from that perspective, either. Getting a unionized job was the best thing I ever did for the betterment of my life. Not very many jobs in my small rural town paid better or had better benefits.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 04-03-2022 at 01:11 AM..

Old 04-03-2022, 01:02 AM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Amazon has an amazing quantity of distribution centers. That provides them an amazing amount of alternatives.

Time will tell how they react. Wal Mart has closed stores where even one department unionized. They also outsourced all meat-packing when one store's staff for that unionized.

I would bet Amazon is already forming a long-term strategy on how to act in response to this decision.

The media, meanwhile, will again fail to do what they should. Circle back on all involved in 2 years with a follow up story.(I also viewed media as failures for not following up with some of the Hostess strikers they interviewed 2 years later, to see if life was better or worse for them.)

Maybe this will work out ok for the staff, maybe not. Media will not follow up, so we will not know.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:25 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
JimRom, despite his genius in business doesn't understand that Unionized workers have more buying power. Yes, blenders cost a little more but there are more people who can afford to purchase blenders. Furthermore, increased buying power in the working class increases the velocity of money. In essence, the dollar turns over more often in local economies. Partly because there are more people circulating more money and partly because the working class tends to spend more of their income on goods and services.

Actually, I didn’t mention the buying power of union workers. What I said was that if the union permeated Amazon facilities the prices would go up for consumers.

And no, the unions of the 50s and 60s weren’t a major factor in upward mobility. The major push of upward mobility in that era was the fact that the United States was the only major economic force which didn’t have its manufacturing facilities flattened during WW2. Without unions, we would have still been well off because we were the only nation which still had an infrastructure.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:31 AM

6,993 posts, read 2,709,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
2 weeks vacation, 14 sick days, pension, and 1 hour lunches, voluntary OT are not asking much, those things used to be the standard in most jobs.
Not for replaceable manual labor. It doesn't take much brains to put a product in a box and seal it shut.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:34 AM

6,993 posts, read 2,709,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
More than 50% of AMZ sales are for third parties/ small businesses that use AMZ to advertise, facilitate and in some cases, fulfill orders.

Third party sellers set their own prices, not AMZ.

Consumers increasingly prefer to shop online rather than brick and mortar. Small businesses can reach the world instead of being limited to local traffic and they can do so without the overhead associated with a physical presence.
When Amazon increases their cost to the vendors it will be passed on to the customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies