Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 08:08 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times

Advertisements

Throughout the year, but especially early in the year, we were told ... oh I don't know how many times, probably dozens ... that the stock market would crash under Biden (I would be happy to find aforementioned posts and threads, if anybody wants me to). Yet here we are, at the last day of the year, and the stock market has not crashed as so many here predicted.

In fact, the S&P 500 racked up 68 new records, and a gain of 25.7%. Compare that to his predecessor's gain of 18.15.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...rs-11640969701
Quote:
Near midday Friday, the S&P 500 was up over 25% in Biden’s first calendar year in office, compared with a 31.2% gain in the broad-market index under Obama. The equity market return for Biden is better than President Donald Trump’s 18.1% for the same index in 2017.

In fact, the average performance in the first year of a Democratic president since their swearing until the end of first year is a gain of 14.2% on average, compared with a 1.2% loss for the GOP.
In consolation for the Trump fans, the Dow and NASDAQ did better in Trump's first year than in Biden's.

Still, considering how many people were predicting a stock market crash because Biden, it did quite well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 08:29 PM

4,511 posts, read 1,866,083 times
A breakfast value meal at McDonald’s cost me around $9 the other day and I just paid $70 to fill up my tank.

Did McDonald’s and Gas get more valuable, or is the dollar becoming worthless?

Old 12-31-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
A breakfast value meal at McDonald’s cost me around $9 the other day and I just paid $70 to fill up my tank.

Did McDonald’s and Gas get more valuable, or is the dollar becoming worthless?
The US dollar index was something that gained this year under Biden as well.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/index/dxy
^
On Jan 20 the US dollar index was 90.47. Today it closed at 95.67.

And for those who measure the value of the dollar against gold, gold under Biden fell this year, modestly:

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/future/gold
^
On Jan 20 it was $1866.50. Today it closed at $1,830.50.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:37 PM

2,953 posts, read 993,758 times
Liberals then - "Trump didn't make the stock market go up!"
Liberals now - "Biden made the stock market go up!"

PS to the OP-

"Vaccinated and boosted" is the most cringey tag I've ever seen. It could only get better if you added "Fauci groupie"

Old 12-31-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Liberals then - "Trump didn't make the stock market go up!"
Liberals now - "Biden made the stock market go up!"
Conservatives in 2017: "Trump made the stock market go up."
Conservatives now: "Biden didn't make the stock market go up."

Old 12-31-2021, 08:46 PM

1,711 posts, read 808,760 times
Take credit for any advancement if you can specify any policy Biden spearheaded that lead to the gains.

If not it was probably just momentum and speculation and would have happened regardless of who was in office.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:53 PM

4,511 posts, read 1,866,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The US dollar index was something that gained this year under Biden as well.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/index/dxy
^
On Jan 20 the US dollar index was 90.47. Today it closed at 95.67.

And for those who measure the value of the dollar against gold, gold under Biden fell this year, modestly:

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/future/gold
^
On Jan 20 it was $1866.50. Today it closed at $1,830.50.
So you’re saying gas and McDonald’s got more valuable…

Neat.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
Take credit for any advancement if you can specify any policy Biden spearheaded that lead to the gains.

If not it was probably just momentum and speculation and would have happened regardless of who was in office.
One could have asked the same questions to Trump fans in 2017. Not sure why Biden fans are expected to answer such questions when Trump fans weren't 4 years ago.

But if you insist ...

Let's get real: the American Rescue Plan was the best economic policy in forty years
Quote:
It’s time to set the record straight.

The recovery is moving fast, and the American Rescue Plan is integral to that fact.

Inflation hawks will tell you the Rescue Plan was a massive failure, citing only higher inflation. They are wrong, and we cannot allow them to write the Covid history book. Yes, inflation’s been higher and for longer than expected by proponents of the more relief like myself. Put inflation in CONTEXT, and the hawk’s case falls apart.

If you look broadly at what’s happening in the U.S. economy—inflation-adjusted consumer spending, jobs, business investment, and household balance sheets—it’s clear that Americans are winning. That was not the case after the Great Recession when some of today’s hawks led policy.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:04 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,954,435 times
lets see big surprise when the value of the dollar falls anybody with any brain flees to asset purchase. Its what you do. Of course this benefits those with the ability to actually buy assets for millions of Americans who are finding it harder to buy the basics like fuel, milk and bread, well they can eat Cake. The irony that it was always the Democrat's who touted themselves as the party of the people and said the Republicans were the party of the wealthy and a Democrat's is praising the increase in asset value as the dollar is plunging like a rock.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:04 PM

2,953 posts, read 993,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Conservatives in 2017: "Trump made the stock market go up."
Conservatives now: "Biden didn't make the stock market go up."
Wrong. This is not how we think. Conservatives aren't economic infants like liberals. We know the fed has more impact on the economy than the president and of course Jerome Powell has been at the helm since 2018 spanning the presidencies of both a successful pro-business guy and an utter pants-$h1tting retard. You tell me what the common factor is there, genius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies