Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 01:45 PM

30,167 posts, read 23,565,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Only a conservative would not be unable to understand this.

Somewhere along the line somebody decided that "sh*t" was a bad word for feces and "poop" was ok.

Believe it or not they are both harmless sounds and spellings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Well I see we have another conservative that doesn't "get it". (However mostly I was just dogging Venice to stir him up!! So your point is well taken).

However, there is nothing "common" or "decent" about stigmatizing sounds and spellings that do no harm to people.

"sh*t" is a word for feces. That's all it is.

Certainly there are other words that have implied threats and the like. Sh*t is not one of them.
My mom is a Democrat, my dad is an atheist. They don't agree with you, at. all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 01:59 PM

1,517 posts, read 536,448 times
George Carlin told us about those 7 dirty words back in the '70s, I guess some things don't change.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words

Old 04-02-2022, 02:05 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,378,966 times
I honestly have the opposite opinion. I think there's just too much "uncensorship". Take this song for example :
https://youtu.be/f9CPymNwkYw

I cannot believe they put this trash on the RADIO!

Old 04-02-2022, 02:37 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,378,966 times
And another winner they always put on the radio uncensored .

https://youtu.be/zxdSHfZFKkY

Old 04-02-2022, 02:45 PM

26,863 posts, read 15,091,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
You censored yourself in the first paragraph of your post. Or you knew it would be deleted if you wrote the word, so why are you worried about a radio station doing the same thing?
True.

Old 04-02-2022, 02:47 PM

12,693 posts, read 9,199,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Charlie Daniels' The Devil Went Down to Georgia was censored a couple decades ago. So was another song, rock, that I can't recall right now. I want to say it's a Janis Joplin song.
"Louie Louie" was censored many years ago; in fact, lots of songs have been censored. They need to totally delete most of the rap "music" that seems to be popular these days.

Decency standards have slacked off a bit over the years, but there's no place for musical profanity in a department store. What's the point of having it anyway?

Old 04-02-2022, 02:51 PM

24,297 posts, read 16,996,781 times
I can understand that they would censor out naughty words but when it comes to more common words like cocaine it is also censored. There is that song with Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow that was very popular in the 90's, "Photograph" I think it was called. It is a cute song but when Kid sings that he was fueling up on cocaine and whiskey, the drug reference is skimmed over.

In another Alanis Morrissette song she is angrily lamenting a lost lover and asks "if she would go down on you in a theater?". It is censored to "would she go ----- in a theater?"

Oh well the censoring ruins the songs intent but when you start considering what the kids are listening too today drug use and sex acts are pretty mild.

Old 04-02-2022, 04:28 PM

15,696 posts, read 9,434,088 times
The oddest act of censorship that comes to mind is the Eagles "Life in the Fast Lane." For years, the song, released in the late 70s, was not censored.

Quote:
She said, "Listen baby, you can hear the engine ring
We've been up and down this highway, haven't seen a GD* thing"
Then sometime in the 2000s as I recall, radio stations began to censor that line, which says both words. Only they oddly censored the "God" part and not the "damn" part.

* Yes, I censored myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies