Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 07:01 PM

1,153 posts, read 632,735 times

Advertisements

https://nypost.com/2022/04/01/why-mo...ing-white-men/

And yes. You heard it right. The person behind the article, Ralph Richard Banks, is a Black man.

Two highlights of the article for me.

"Two of the most powerful positions in the United States government will soon be held — for the first time — by black women: Kamala Harris and Ketanji Brown-Jackson. Harris, as we all know, is the vice president of the United States and Brown-Jackson could soon become a Supreme Court justice.

But Harris and Brown-Jackson also share a personal attribute that is equally noteworthy: Each has a white husband.
"

"But the most significant fissure was between black men and women. While some black women were made uncomfortable by the book, and the way it put them in the spotlight, many others embraced its message of empowerment. That was a message that not all black men wanted to hear. At one of my book talks in Washington DC, I worried a fight would break out between a young black woman who asserted her right to choose whatever type of man she wanted and an older black man who condemned such sentiments as betraying the race.

Other critics, including some black women, contended that white racism precluded black women from finding non-black partners. And this convinced many black women that they cannot (or should not) partner with a non-black man, even if the alternative was remaining unpartnered or in a bad relationship. As a result, many black women feel that they should “marry down” before they “marry out.”

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 07:16 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,195,599 times
Women should marry the man that will support them and make them feel valued, regardless of what they look like, to include their race. Yes, we all have physical preferences but at the end of the day the lights get turned out and the things you can’t see don’t matter near as much as the things you feel.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:17 PM

6,455 posts, read 7,018,958 times
Black feminists have been pushing this for atleast a decade now, all in an effort to socially elevate themselves in ways that the black community never could. Essentially the idea is to make these women as white as possible, and less redeemingly black.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:18 PM

6,101 posts, read 2,881,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Other critics, including some black women, contended that white racism precluded black women from finding non-black partners. And this convinced many black women that they cannot (or should not) partner with a non-black man, even if the alternative was remaining unpartnered or in a bad relationship.

Thoughts?
Yes, I have a thought!

So, because of 'white racism', black women can't marry Hispanic or Asian men?

I don't know anything about the author, but that has Democrat-logic written all over it...

Old 04-02-2022, 07:20 PM

5,176 posts, read 3,782,461 times
Racist.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:24 PM

1,382 posts, read 621,042 times
That’s crazy. Makes me wonder what Michelle Obama would say to that.

This author seems to me as infantilizing Black women.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:30 PM

7,816 posts, read 6,403,560 times
If black women want to marry white men, they’re going to have to be a lot less hostile.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 479,179 times
There's a stereotype somewhere of black women who bind themselves to white men being a social engineering gesture of "moving up". It happens all the time with people who marry in the interest of economics, though there seems to be a stigma attached in certain scenarios like black women and white men.

What people choose to do is their own business. Although with this increasingly mainstream attachment of privilege and demonised historical background character to white people, the notion of intermarrying seems antithetical or at least ironic.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:38 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,222,745 times
I think adults should marry the adults that they fall in love with and can build a life together with. Simple as that.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:44 PM

398 posts, read 207,455 times
Why does the NY post have to amplify this nonsense ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies