Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 08:06 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Obviously....even other Republicans know their views don't fit in a normal equal society. They were bound to separate due to common sense.
The liberal left's views are normal? Since when don't the Republicans want a "normal" and equal society? You've listening to the MSM too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 08:55 AM

6,976 posts, read 2,701,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
It used to be that Republicans were social and fiscal conservatives, and Democrats were social and fiscal liberals. If a party would emerge that is socially liberal and fiscally conservative, they would have my vote.
There is. It's called the Libertarian Party.

Old 04-05-2022, 01:48 PM

9,089 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
It used to be that Republicans were social and fiscal conservatives, and Democrats were social and fiscal liberals. If a party would emerge that is socially liberal and fiscally conservative, they would have my vote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
There is. It's called the Libertarian Party.
I am socially liberal from a libertarian perspective and a fiscal conservative. The fiscal conservatism is an unwavering requirement because I view fiscal conservatism as necessary to maintain my livelihood. Social liberalism depends on the particular issue. I am all for letting people do drugs or eat whatever they want for example, but they have to suffer any consequences of their actions. No bailouts or society coming to their rescue to eliminate self-imposed suffering.

Old 04-06-2022, 02:20 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There already is such a party: the Democratic Party. The Democrats abandoned labor and renounced the welfare state back in the 1990s. On economic issues, today’s Democrats are where the Republicans were in the 1960s. Yes, there are a few old-school welfare state advocates like Bernie Sanders and AOC, but the party establishment keeps them out of power. That’s why Hillary and Biden got the nominations in 2016 and 2020 respectively, even though Sanders was more popular among the rank and file.
I don't know that I would call Democrats fiscal conservatives. they still have a propensity for throwing money at every problem.

I was thinking that Libertarian is a better blend of social liberal and fiscal conservative. It's just that there are very few true libertarians in US politics. Also, libertarians need to admit that there actually are a few things that government can do better than the private sector.

Old 04-06-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The cultural right isn't white nationalists. There are hardly any white nationalists around. Your OP is garbage.
There are white nationalists. Some on this forum in fact. They are so worried about immigrants from Asia or Latin America coming here to dilute our "culture". But OP did mention several categories in addition to white nationalists:

evangelical Christians, white nationalists, anti-illegal-immigration activists, second amendment advocates

So not all cultural rightists are white nationalist. Some are in those other categories.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:15 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
There are white nationalists. Some on this forum in fact. They are so worried about immigrants from Asia or Latin America coming here to dilute our "culture". But OP did mention several categories in addition to white nationalists:

evangelical Christians, white nationalists, anti-illegal-immigration activists, second amendment advocates

So not all cultural rightists are white nationalist. Some are in those other categories.
I'm a nationalist aka patriot and my skin color/race is irrelevant so why even bring that up? Are you confused? Legal immigration from most anywhere is ok in measured numbers but illegal immigration is not so why spin it your way? Yes, too much immigration both legally an illegally does dilute our culture is that something we should embrace instead?

Old 04-07-2022, 03:47 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
My thought is.....what ROCK have you been living under for the past 35 years??

The Corporate Elites started shifting to the Democrat Party under Bill Clinton back in the late 1980's. It is why he got elected President.

Anyway.....here is a VERY SHORT list just off the top of head at the moment.

Facebook
Apple
Twitter
Coca-Cola
Berkshire-Hathaway
MicroSoft
Disney (includes ABC Broadcasting)
Comcast (includes NBC broadcasting)
Amazon
Washington Post (owned by Amazon)
USA Today (owned by Gannet)
Major League Baseball (and their owners)
National Football League (and their owners)
National Basketball Association (and their owners)

General Motors
Ford

The list goes on and on, but that short list is probably majority of the market capitilization of the US Stock Markets.

The Democrat Party is the party of the very rich and very poor.

The Republican Party is the party of the working class and small business.

There is no crack in the Republican Party with the Corporate Right....they are all DEMOCRATS these days.
Still there are athletes, execs and owners who lean to the Republican side, but are prime examples of what this thread is about. I come from the business and we call it "Socially Liberal/ Free Market Capitalism".
A less confusing term would be more like "Culturally Progressive/ Free Market Capitalism".

Old 04-07-2022, 04:52 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There already is such a party: the Democratic Party. The Democrats abandoned labor and renounced the welfare state back in the 1990s. On economic issues, today’s Democrats are where the Republicans were in the 1960s. Yes, there are a few old-school welfare state advocates like Bernie Sanders and AOC, but the party establishment keeps them out of power. That’s why Hillary and Biden got the nominations in 2016 and 2020 respectively, even though Sanders was more popular among the rank and file.
Both parties have embraced financialization & free market fundamentalism. This trend began in the late 70s early 80s.
... As a result of this rapid financialization, the financial sector scaled up vastly in the span of a few decades. In 1978, the financial sector comprised 3.5% of the American economy (that is, it made up 3.5% of U.S. GDP), but by 2007 it had reached 5.9%.

Profits in the American financial sector in 2009 were six times higher on average than in 1980, compared with non-financial sector profits, which on average were just over twice what they were in 1980.

Financial sector profits grew by 800%, adjusted for inflation, from 1980 to 2005. In comparison with the rest of the economy, U.S. nonfinancial sector profits grew by 250% during the same period. For context, financial sector profits from the 1930s until 1980 grew at the same rate as the rest of the American economy.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financialization
Under Reaganomics, the ultrarich had their taxes cut sharply — by about half. A millionaire who was paying $700,000 in taxes in the 1970s saw her taxes cut to $350,000 in the 1980s. But what was he or she going to do with the $350,000 windfall? Some spent it on conspicuous consumption, but many decided to fund think tanks and hire economists to support their ideology, while others used the windfall to influence politicians and shape laws. And so the tax cuts became a vicious circle in which wealth begot more wealth and still more influence."
Column: How Reaganomics, deregulation and bailouts led to the rise of Trump

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy...-rise-of-trump

President Reagan likened the idea to ‘hitting the jackpot’
“This bill is the most important legislation for financial institutions in the last 50 years. … All in all, I think we hit the jackpot,” said Reagan as he signed the Garn-St. Germain Depository Institutions Act of 1982. Reagan declared that the bill, which changed the rules governing Savings & Loans, was “the first step in our administration’s comprehensive program of financial deregulation.”

By the end of Reagan’s presidency, the S&L industry lay in smoking ruins after a long campaign of looting that eventually cost taxpayers about $132 billion. This was the largest bailout of the financial industry in U.S. history until the Wall Street collapse of 2008.
PJ O’Rourke quipped, “The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it.”

What would he say about the libertarian idolatry of the free market?

Old 04-07-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Social programs are the biggest cost to the budget. How is it possible to be both?
I have to be more specific about what I mean by social liberal:

Decriminalize drug use and prostitution
Keep abortion legal
LBGTQ have all the same rights as heterosexuals
Eliminate racism wherever possible
Religion is kept out of government, including public schools
Approach illegal immigration from an emphasis on compassion, not punishment

You are referring to welfare, which I categorize more as fiscally liberal

Old 04-07-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'm a nationalist aka patriot and my skin color/race is irrelevant so why even bring that up? :
I didn't bring it up. Someone else challenged the idea that there are white nationalists in this country. I believe there are. A white nationalist is NOT just a nationalist who happens to be white.

White Nationalist definition: "a person who supports the perceived political interests of the white population within a particular country, especially to the exclusion or detriment of other racial and ethnic groups."

You call yourself a nationalist, but I presume you do not consider yourself a white nationalist. Fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies