Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 05:56 PM

30,290 posts, read 21,058,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
And all are better with the proper manual transmission!
Never used one and don't know how. No way i am gonna row thru gears dear with red lights dwight every 200 feet pete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 05:57 PM

30,290 posts, read 21,058,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Thank you for pointing out how worthless EVs are.
Mine is well worth the $6 smackers it cost me a month to drive clive.

Old 04-28-2022, 07:58 AM

8,896 posts, read 2,936,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
really a downgrade??

how about the Lotus Evija... Four electric motors cranking out a combined 2,000 horsepower

or the Maserati MC20 EV

or the GMC Hummer EV with 1,000 horsepower, a 0-60 mph time of three seconds

and for 2023....Tesla Roadster .. 0-60 mph in less than two seconds, a 250-mph-or-higher top speed, more than 600 miles of range

and just announced for 2024...Dodge Electric Muscle Car...an all-wheel-drive retro-styled burnout machine that might well humble even the mighty Dodge Demon in the quarter mile. And hey, if you can't burn gas, you can still burn rubber. https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/g344...electric-cars/

sorry but electrics are going to make ICE vehicles seem like driving a mule soon
I'm not even talking about that kind of performance, but since you guys keep bringing it up...you can talk about short distance acceleration all you want. Any vehicle that weighs 4 - 6 THOUSAND pounds simply isn't going to perform well. They will be terrifying at speed, twitchy when changing directions and going around bends, etc. These cars also are massively affected when they get hot in hard driving, have a hard time performing well at speed, and are affected by their charge levels. When the charge starts to decrease, so does the performance. You NEED all that horsepower to move a car that is so much heavier than a normal car its size, and all that creates tons of heat and zaps the charge like a hot knife through butter.

Read the reviews on the "plaid" Tesla. It is very widely criticized because it's impractically massive and heavy, and suffers from all the normal issues that EVs have.

The performance that I was really talking about is simple, practical performance. Being able to drive more than a few hundred miles without stopping to charge for an hour, being able to find chargers, not having the level of charge affect performance, not having hot or cold temperatures affect performance, not having age drop the ability for the car to hold a charge, etc. etc. etc.

EVs can't create their own energy. They have to store it all in final form. ICE creates it's own energy in real time. EVs are a downgrade and a compromise. These tradeoffs are accepted in order to "save the planet," otherwise no one in their right mind would go through the hassle. You've been gaslit and bought the brainwashing if you think they aren't a compromise.

Old 04-28-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
ok...not hate... but a very visible bias against EV

again YOU ARE THE OP

you started this thread...you stated that EV's ARE NOT the future...so prove your statement...,...because the ONLY thing you have halfway argued it that functionality TODAY is not quite there....yet your title and poll are about the future

you haven't even defined what the word future (how many years or decades) means
The future: EVs will not become the standard form of personal transportation in the USA, ever. At any point.

Obviously, if you understand debate and logic, I can't PROVE that...it's impossible to disprove something that may or may not occur in the future.

This is a thread to discuss the obvious shortcomings and current public sentiment towards EVs (which is unfavorable, as you can see by the poll).

Do you understand these things?

Old 04-28-2022, 08:48 AM

1,131 posts, read 395,927 times
Quote:
The future: EVs will not become the standard form of personal transportation in the USA, ever. At any point.

Obviously, if you understand debate and logic, I can't PROVE that...it's impossible to disprove something that may or may not occur in the future.

This is a thread to discuss the obvious shortcomings and current public sentiment towards EVs (which is unfavorable, as you can see by the poll).

It's pretty clear that EV will become the future, that part is a fact. The only part that is debatable is how long it will take. This is not just US movement but both Asia and Europe as well.

Old 04-28-2022, 08:53 AM

3,983 posts, read 6,552,912 times
Quote:

Do you understand that polls on CD are not at all representative (at all) of the general population?

So your statement above is pretty absurd. You have no way of knowing (nor do I) whether or not EV's will or won't become the standard.

Old 04-28-2022, 08:59 AM

15,051 posts, read 10,043,591 times
Quote:
Film photographers said the same about digital.
RC car hobby enthusiasts said the same about electric motors.

There is a ton of other examples in history. Usually the absolute terms like "ever" is incorrect.

Old 04-28-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sim_Mister View Post
It's pretty clear that EV will become the future, that part is a fact. The only part that is debatable is how long it will take. This is not just US movement but both Asia and Europe as well.
Okay, but you're in the minority on this thread.

There have been many things that the environMENTAL movement has predicted that hasn't come true. Most things, actually.

4% of car buyers chose EV last year. That's with the government begging them with massive taxpayer-funded subsidies.

In mine and most of the respondents on this polls opinion, they won't be anything more than a niche car for a niche market...forever. Until something that actually has better functionality than gas comes along.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Do you understand that polls on CD are not at all representative (at all) of the general population?

So your statement above is pretty absurd. You have no way of knowing (nor do I) whether or not EV's will or won't become the standard.
Understood. But the data in this poll agrees with me, not you. 96% of car buyers last year agree with me, too.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Film photographers said the same about digital.
RC car hobby enthusiasts said the same about electric motors.

There is a ton of other examples in history. Usually the absolute terms like "ever" is incorrect.
Batteries in RC cars still suck. Gas is much better..not sure where you're getting that.

I actually used that example pages ago...I used to race RC cars as a kid. The gas guys whooped all over the battery guys and still do today. You need to carry a bag full of batteries and they degrade quickly with their ability to hold a charge.

Digital actually provides CONVENIENCE AND FUNCTIONALITY improvements over film. EVs do not provide either of those over gas, because they cannot create energy in real time.

Think for a minute, instead of just believing what a movement who has been wrong countless times tells you.

The impetus for EV IS NOT functionality. It's "saving the planet." It's worse functionality!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies