Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 11:43 AM

2,309 posts, read 956,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Ha. I guess 96% of new car buyers last year are part of the "right wing cesspool" too? And why is a completely open and public forum, not associated with anything "partisan," be "right wing?" Perhaps the people here just represent common sense that you're not used to seeing in your party affiliated areas? Or is it just because the poll isn't the way you want it?

Also, when talking about literal cesspools (i.e. fecal matter on the streets), San Francisco, LA, Chicago, etc. come to mind. They are are left wing areas.

Just FYI.

And did you poll all of those 96% of new car buyers last year and they said the EVs are not the future?
Seriously... you're not even comparing apples to apples and you think you're making good talking points.

I shouldn't be shocked though because you couldn't even comprehend the links that I sent you about the international scholastic competitions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 11:49 AM

8,939 posts, read 2,960,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
And did you poll all of those 96% of new car buyers last year and they said the EVs are not the future?
Seriously... you're not even comparing apples to apples and you think you're making good talking points.

I shouldn't be shocked though because you couldn't even comprehend the links that I sent you about the international scholastic competitions.
You have to admit, 4% is terrible, given the subsidies.

Something that's "the future" shouldn't be rejected 96% of the time today. Come on.

Old 04-29-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
You have to admit, 4% is terrible, given the subsidies.

Something that's "the future" shouldn't be rejected 96% of the time today. Come on.

I've already provided multiple reasons why adoption rate is low TODAY.

TODAY has nothing to do with the FUTURE, as those issues that exist TODAY will not be issues in the FUTURE.

However, engines are nearing their peak in innovation. They are not going to be much more efficient than they are today. They are not getting simpler to build or maintain. If anything, today's engines are much more difficult for a backyard mechanic to fix themselves.

EVs are ultra low maintenance compared to ICE. I love my ICE vehicles (I ride motorcycles too), but I'm slowly transitioning to EV. My next lawn mower will be electric. I don't have to worry about winterizing and gumming up the carb, and pulling a cord to start it.

It is the future whether you like it or not.

Old 04-29-2022, 12:17 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
We were...as a microcosm of this discussion. Even in the RC world, electric hasn't overtaken gas even though they've been on the market for decades.
EVs will not take over NASCAR. Formula E racing is about as interesting as Women's NBA

Old 04-29-2022, 12:17 PM

8,378 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Quote:
Both of those things filled a hole that didn't exist before.

EVs don't fill any hole that doesn't exist. They are simply changing from real-time power to stored power (with many inconveniences) in the name of the Invisible Environment Man in the Sky.

So ...telephones dd not exist before the cell phone?

Old 04-29-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
EVs are ultra low maintenance compared to ICE. I love my ICE vehicles (I ride motorcycles too), but I'm slowly transitioning to EV. My next lawn mower will be electric. I don't have to worry about winterizing and gumming up the carb, and pulling a cord to start it.
How so, can your EV go without charging for weeks at a time? I gas up my SUV and I never have to do a thing to it for a couple weeks. It's not like we ICE owners are daily pouring engine oil, transmission fluid, radiator coolant, or cleaning the spark plugs. Besides, when we do fill the gas tank it takes us 5 minutes tops, and we are good for another week or three.

Old 04-29-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
No, the analogy doesn't quite carry. The car is already invented. The question is whether the EV version of it will take off.

I don't remember anyone downing the idea of cell phones... They took off like hot cakes once they went on the mass market. Same with computers. Boyfriend in high school had one of the very first generation of MAC PC's. They were novel and everyone I was around definitely looked forward to having one someday.
Cells phones added a new dynamic that the land-line dial up phones could never provide. With cell phones we had something new that we could never do before, leave home and still be able to talk on the phone.

EVs do not add any new dynamic, in fact they add new problems, many which never existed with ICEs.

1) EVs travel a lesser distance per trip

2) EVs increase travel times because they require drivers to stop for long periods to recharge

3) EVs add new price hikes to the cost of buying and insuring a car

4) EVs create a new environmental problem, because they have large battery packs which will need to be recycled

Old 04-29-2022, 12:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
I've already provided multiple reasons why adoption rate is low TODAY.

TODAY has nothing to do with the FUTURE, as those issues that exist TODAY will not be issues in the FUTURE.

However, engines are nearing their peak in innovation. They are not going to be much more efficient than they are today. They are not getting simpler to build or maintain. If anything, today's engines are much more difficult for a backyard mechanic to fix themselves.

It is the future whether you like it or not.
My riding mower has electric start, and using ethanol-free gas I don't have to winterize it. Just mowed for the first time since October last weekend and it started right up.

I still maintain my 1974 Nova, but our 2017 and 2020 ICE vehicles just don't need much, so far just annual oil changes and tire rotations, wipers and cabin air filters. Other than the oil, same as an EV.

I have no objections to electric when it's appropriate, my pole chain saw and extendable pruner are electric. I just can't deal with the low range and lack of charging on long road trips so sticking to ICE for cars and truck.
Maybe when the technology catches up with my needs.

Old 04-29-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
How so, can your EV go without charging for weeks at a time? I gas up my SUV and I never have to do a thing to it for a couple weeks. It's not like we ICE owners are daily pouring engine oil, transmission fluid, radiator coolant, or cleaning the spark plugs. Besides, when we do fill the gas tank it takes us 5 minutes tops, and we are good for another week or three.

Charging and gassing up are not considered maintenance.
Those other maintenance tasks that you mentioned do not exist for EVs. It's pretty much tires and wipers, things that you need for ICE vehicles as well.

"We" ICE owners?

I am currently an ICE vehicle owner and am looking to buy another one when my current one dies, along with an EV.
I like both types of propulsion but I am not afraid to embrace new technology, which will most definitely displace the old.

Old 04-29-2022, 12:57 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Meanwhile, back on planet earth...

[Image use authorized with this attribution: By Mariordo (Mario Roberto Durán Ortiz) - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0,
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=47854741)]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies