Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 09:54 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,965,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
It actually isnt the way it is. I just figured I would let you talk about what men and women should or shouldnt be doing. Honestly not even my dad talks like that anymore. It was more my grandpa's time where people talked like that. I am curious, did you graduate from a 4 year college?
HAHAHA!

I guess that depends on where you are and where you live. Out of curiosity I just polled two female friends, one a conservative from PA and one a liberal from San Francisco.

Both said "hell no" they couldn't change a tire. Both said they would think it's strange that a man couldn't or wouldn't, though. Almost all of my male friends would DEFINITELY think that way too. I guess that blows your hypothesis that "no one" would think that way today.

What a dumb question about college. Yes, I have a 4 year degree and work in the computer industry. You really think that educational attainment makes people LESS independent?

"Talk like what?" That men should not be helpless? Why would that ever go out of style? What if I asked you if you were gay because you don't want to change a tire? That would be a bad stereotype too, wouldn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 09:57 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
HAHAHA!

I guess that depends on where you are and where you live. Out of curiosity I just polled two female friends, one a conservative from PA and one a liberal from San Francisco.

Both said "hell no" they couldn't change a tire. Both said they would think it's strange that a man couldn't or wouldn't, though.

What a dumb question about college. Yes, I have a 4 year degree and work in the computer industry. You really think that educational attainment makes people LESS independent?

"Talk like what?" That men should not be helpless? Why would that ever go out of style?
Its not strange. It is strange for someone to say "it's strange that a man wouldnt change a tire."

I was just trying to take a shot at figuring out the generational difference in this attitude. My grandpa wasnt dumb but he didnt have a 4 year degree. The world was more simple for him and I would imagine he may say something about "a man should be able to do x."

Old 05-02-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Its not strange. It is strange for someone to say "it's strange that a man wouldnt change a tire."

I was just trying to take a shot at figuring out the generational difference in this attitude. My grandpa wasnt dumb but he didnt have a 4 year degree. The world was more simple for him and I would imagine he may say something about "a man should be able to do x."
You live in a bubble then. MANY MANY people think that, and it's not strange, in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, you mention that you do indeed have the skills to change your tire, you just simply wouldn't. You say you have "better" things to do.

If you're on the side of the road with a flat, what "better" things would you have to do than.....change your tire? You'd rather play on your phone or play with your cool Tesla screen and wait for someone else to come?
Why?

Old 05-02-2022, 10:09 AM

1,139 posts, read 402,697 times
Quote:
You live in a bubble then. MANY MANY people think that, and it's not strange, in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, you mention that you do indeed have the skills to change your tire, you just simply wouldn't. You say you have "better" things to do.

If you're on the side of the road with a flat, what "better" things would you have to do than.....change your tire? You'd rather play on your phone or play with your cool Tesla screen and wait for someone else to come?
Why?
It's called paying for service.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sim_Mister View Post
It's called paying for service.
Right. But most men wouldn't take the trouble of calling, going on hold, explaining the problem, then waiting for a service tech to come out on the side of the road for an hour etc.

Most men would change the tire in 15 min and be on their way.

Do you hire someone to pump gas for you too? Tie your shoes?

Last edited by paracord; 05-02-2022 at 10:23 AM..

Old 05-02-2022, 10:34 AM

1,139 posts, read 402,697 times
Quote:
Right. But most men wouldn't take the trouble of calling, going on hold, explaining the problem, then waiting for a service tech to come out on the side of the road for an hour etc.

Most men would change the tire in 15 min and be on their way.

Do you hire someone to pump gas for you too? Tie your shoes?

Maybe in rural area what you say is the case but in the urban area. Yes many guys in Urban area will call AAA and wait in the car until they come and change the tire for them. Why get your hands dirty when someone else can do it for you?

Old 05-02-2022, 10:41 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sim_Mister View Post
Maybe in rural area what you say is the case but in the urban area. Yes many guys in Urban area will call AAA and wait in the car until they come and change the tire for them. Why get your hands dirty when someone else can do it for you?
Because my time is too valuable to waste waiting for someone to do something for me that I can do myself.

Oh lord, I just agreed with Paracord on something.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:43 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,413 times
Quote:

Why?
I dont think I said I have better things to do, just that I would prefer someone else do it. It doesnt take hours for AAA to come, it takes less than an hour typically. Why would I rather wait and do other things? I guess you could ask that about any time I am on my phone or playing games or watching movies. Why do that instead of doing things that I dont enjoy doing? I dont like to do things that I dont enjoy doing.

And I guess I live in a bubble where people dont find it normal to say something like "its weird for a man to not do x." I am not certain if my bubble is bigger or smaller than your bubble. I think yours is getting smaller by the day.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Because my time is too valuable to waste waiting for someone to do something for me that I can do myself.

Oh lord, I just agreed with Paracord on something.
I'm glad. This position of "why not just call someone to do a 15 min job" has to be a big loser overall in terms of popular sentiment. AT LEAST I HOPE!

Old 05-02-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I dont think I said I have better things to do, just that I would prefer someone else do it. It doesnt take hours for AAA to come, it takes less than an hour typically. Why would I rather wait and do other things? I guess you could ask that about any time I am on my phone or playing games or watching movies. Why do that instead of doing things that I dont enjoy doing? I dont like to do things that I dont enjoy doing.

And I guess I live in a bubble where people dont find it normal to say something like "its weird for a man to not do x." I am not certain if my bubble is bigger or smaller than your bubble. I think yours is getting smaller by the day.
Well that's sad if being less independent and just calling people to do menial, simple chores is becoming "more popular."

If so, we'd better check where we're going as a society. If we ever had to fight a war with people who'd rather call someone to do a 15 min job that any normal man should be able and willing to do, we're F&&$@ed!

If that's "1950" to you, or an indication that someone isn't educated, then that says something about you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies