Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 08:41 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
When the President's fleet goes electric, and when the military goes electric, let me know.

Until then they are just toys that some people like to play with who don't drive very much.
What is the significance of the president and military going electric?

How much is driving very much? I put on about 22,000 miles per year, is that driving very much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 08:42 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Funny how people believe in a green future have no idea on how a EV vehicle is made. They are made on a assembly line powered by a electric plant using natural gas or coal, both fossil fuel, not many nuclear power plants in Michigan i think there is only one. And those body panels and interior parts are made from plastic or vinyl that’s made by some type of a petroleum products. Then you have the EV chargers using fossil fuel to generate electricity. Then you have the whole mining process of getting the raw material to make the EV battery, do you think mining equipment runs on air lol no it’s diesel for the backhoe, dump trucks, cranes. And when i can get a EV to get me the same mileage as a ice vehicle and be and charg the battery as fast as it takes to fill up my ice vehicle. Fossil fuel will never be replaced by clean energy in my lifetime. We depend on it to much.
I bought my EV to save green jean. That is money and not save the planet janet as there is no saving it unless we remove 5 billion peeps.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:45 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Owned a 2008 Subaru STI the 350HP AWD turbo hatchback. Blew a tire once put the spare on sounded like the drive train was going to grind it self to death. The owners manual said not to drive faster then 15MPH because the spare tire was lot smaller causing it to spin faster. In reality the spare tire was useless if you were miles away had to drive on the highway. There wasn't enough room for a full size tire in the compartment where it was kept. I wonder how many other AWD vehicles have spare tires that are useless.
I'm amazed that your manufacturer provided a tire that will not function properly.

I had a similar problem. I blew out a tire. Was in the middle of nowhere, and went to a local tire shop. They put on a new tire that was a different diameter. AWD vehicles need to have all tires of the same diameter, because the onboard computer will think one of your sheels is losing traction. This will make the vehicle very vehicle difficult to drive. You need to switch to two wheel drive mode.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:49 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I don't care if another ev is ever made. As long as i am saving money honey i am a happy pappy.
Are you saving money though? If an EV sticker price is $10,000 more, and your auto insurance is also higher, are you really saving money? I suppose if you are wealthy enough that these increases don't matter, then you won't care. But for people who are living paycheck to paycheck, they may not be able to absorb these initial cost increases.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:53 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Elon Musk, the wealthiest person in the US ( following the Bezos divorce) and current patron saint of those who believe free speech applies to private business, believes EV are the future.

Musk also supports a carbon tax, solar and wind power and Universal Basic Income.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Are you saving money though? If an EV sticker price is $10,000 more, and your auto insurance is also higher, are you really saving money? I suppose if you are wealthy enough that these increases don't matter, then you won't care. But for people who are living paycheck to paycheck, they may not be able to absorb these initial cost increases.
It was cheaper than that gas sucking 2021 Camaro i had that got 8mpg in the city kitty. My EV was 28k last year.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:09 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,965,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
It was cheaper than that gas sucking 2021 Camaro i had that got 8mpg in the city kitty. My EV was 28k last year.
You are comparing a Camaro to an econo-box though.

You could have bought an ICE econobox for much less than 28 (even without government subsidies), and you could get very, very good city gas mileage.

You're comparing a vehicle that was built for performance to another vehicle that was built for economy.

Not even mentioning the massacre you took when you got rid of your Camaro.

I don't think you're ahead financially.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:10 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,965,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
What is the significance of the president and military going electric?

How much is driving very much? I put on about 22,000 miles per year, is that driving very much?
That would indicate that electric is viable for serious things.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:20 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,413 times
Quote:
That would indicate that electric is viable for serious things.
Driving around a clown is serious?

My daily driver needs to be powered by the same thing as a tank?

I think my 100 miles per day of driving is pretty serious and more than the vast majority of people. Maybe gas could be cheaper if we could pull away the demand from other purposes.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
You are comparing a Camaro to an econo-box though.

You could have bought an ICE econobox for much less than 28 (even without government subsidies), and you could get very, very good city gas mileage.

You're comparing a vehicle that was built for performance to another vehicle that was built for economy.

Not even mentioning the massacre you took when you got rid of your Camaro.

I don't think you're ahead financially.
I don't know of many gas cars for under 28k i would want to drive clive. GM gave me a Spark on a lark while i was doing a lemon law on my new C7 Vette brette. The spark would have been fine it if had more HP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies