Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 01:58 PM

2,326 posts, read 959,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
It has nothing to do with the salesman (unless he is supposed to provide me with untrue numbers). I am always going to work through the numbers myself. But if it was a 10 year payback, that wouldnt be very exciting for me. I may not be in this house for 10 years.

I will see if I can get someone to put something together for me and I can present my numbers when I get them.

The numbers may not be "untrue".
If the price you were quoted took longer than 7 years to breakeven, then that just means he's making more profit at your expense.

Under $3/w before any credits/rebates is what you should be looking to pay. That's UNDER $3; some people have been paying closer to $2.50. Again, this is before any incentives.
You need to do your homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 01:58 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
ICE cars burn up all the time.
Actually, not "all the time". But yes, they spontaneously burn up occasionally. Far less frequently than EVs.

Only about 10 million of the 300 million vehicles in the USA are EVs. So if a handful of EVs spontaneously catch on fire that's startling.

Old 05-11-2022, 02:03 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Hotter and faster than a Ford Pinto?

Those were made famous for bursting into flames.
Yes, hotter and faster than a Ford Pinto. Burning batteries are very difficult to put out.

Old 05-11-2022, 03:02 PM

19,791 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Actually, not "all the time". But yes, they spontaneously burn up occasionally. Far less frequently than EVs.

Only about 10 million of the 300 million vehicles in the USA are EVs. So if a handful of EVs spontaneously catch on fire that's startling.
I read some research from Auz IIRC that claimed in ascending order of fire risk it's:

1. Lithium ion / EVs.
2. ICE
3. ICE/hybrids being by far the worst.

However, as you noted when a lithium ion battery catches fire it is brutally tough to put out.

Anyway, Tesla is switching most of its EV autos to Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries this year lowering the spontaneous fire chances to near zilch. Others are sure to follow.

Apparently, these new batteries charge faster as well.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:28 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You clearly haven't looked at the poll results.

The left believes Americans can't even afford $10 ID cards to vote, can't even afford to pay off medical bills and student loans, yet will somehow have the means to afford a $900 car payment for a depreciating asset.

Nonsense. The average American salary is $50K, average household debt is $155K, EVs are not the future, they are unaffordable depreciating asset toys for liberal elites who derive self-worth out of something that only needs to get you from point A to point B.

Most Americans can not afford $60K depreciating assets. Period. This isn't Dubai or Monaco.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/thinkin...ge-11646885311

If "saving the planet" means $60K of debt, you can count those of us with financial brains out.
The average transaction price for an electric vehicle (EV) is $56,437, according to Kelley Blue Book — roughly $10,000 higher than the overall industry average of $46,329 that includes gas and EVs. The federal government offers a non-refundable tax credit worth $2,500 to $7,500 for newly purchased electric vehicles made after 2010. ….which means its really a wash with the purchase price.

A U.S. Department of Energy report shows that after 15 years, electric cars generally cost less than similar gas-only models, when you factor in the price, maintenance, financing, repairs, the federal tax break and fuel costs. The electric version of a small SUV costs $0.4508 per mile, $0.0219 less than the $0.4727 per mile rate you get with a similar gas-based model.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:17 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
LOL, you totally made that up. All the studies say just the opposite.

"A recent study conducted by AutoInsuranceEZ using data from the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) showed that electric cars in the US caught fire at a rate of 25.1 per 100,000 sales compared to 1,530 for ICE vehicles and 3,475 for hybrids."
Source: https://www.idtechex.com/en/research...blematic/25749

"Government data show gasoline vehicles are up to 100x more prone to fires than EVs"
Source: https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/gover...ires-than-evs/

EVs have extremely low chance of catching fire
https://thedriven.io/2022/01/11/evs-...ky-data-shows/

Granted, when EVs do burn, the batteries burn hot and are hard to extinguish. But the rate of actual fires is very low. And as has been mentioned, car manufacturers are switching over to LFP batteries that don't burn.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:49 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
LOL, you totally made that up. All the studies say just the opposite.

"A recent study conducted by AutoInsuranceEZ using data from the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) showed that electric cars in the US caught fire at a rate of 25.1 per 100,000 sales compared to 1,530 for ICE vehicles and 3,475 for hybrids."
Source: https://www.idtechex.com/en/research...blematic/25749

"Government data show gasoline vehicles are up to 100x more prone to fires than EVs"
Source: https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/gover...ires-than-evs/

EVs have extremely low chance of catching fire
https://thedriven.io/2022/01/11/evs-...ky-data-shows/

Granted, when EVs do burn, the batteries burn hot and are hard to extinguish. But the rate of actual fires is very low. And as has been mentioned, car manufacturers are switching over to LFP batteries that don't burn.
And BAM. taken down with facts. Nicely done.

Old 05-11-2022, 10:36 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
You don't pay money for net metering. The utility (maybe per state) either offers it or they don't.
The homeowner pays to install and license met-metering. In comparison to off-grid solar power which costs less to install.

Old 05-11-2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When determining the payback period for home solar,
My home is a farm. Our solar system depreciates over seven years, as required by the IRS. Each year we write off one-seventh of all solar power costs. The 'payback period' can change significantly when you factor in a seven year depreciation.

Solar-power is not a money maker. It is often a very expensive process. We did it after we built a house and found that our power grid is extremely unstable with frequent outages. Nearly every home in our township uses generators, when we spoke with our neighbors about generators, we soon learned how much these people pay every month for generator fuel. There is no way to make electricity as cheap as the power companies do it. The power grid is the cheapest way to get power, but it is only good when the grid is up.

Old 05-11-2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, hotter and faster than a Ford Pinto. Burning batteries are very difficult to put out.
I thought Ford Pintos were famous as traveling bombs with their gas tank exposed like a rear bumper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies