Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 12:36 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times

Advertisements

I do miss my Bolt as it was so cheap to drive. The new Vette i got is only getting around 13.9 mpg in the city. But it sure is a upgrade from that crappy 2019 C7 i had to lemon law and makes the 3 C6's i had seem old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 09:34 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Then you went to the wrong side.

Rest Areas always have people sleeping in all manners of vehicles. I do it. No point in paying $100+ for a hotel room that you're only going to be in for six hours. Plus there's the time lost in finding said hotel, checking in/out, etc. And then driving back because you forgot something, LOL. But seriously, it's a massive waste of time and money. The ability to be able to run AC all night at a charging station is brilliant actually.

I used to do this in the old days but now I see signs that "No overnight parking in rest area" & "Police patrol the area". I did see a couple of times a state trooper in the rest area when I was driving back at 11PM -1.30 AM. Probably because of attacks on people sleeping in cars in a lonely rest stop area these measures have been implemented.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Then you went to the wrong side.

Rest Areas always have people sleeping in all manners of vehicles. I do it. No point in paying $100+ for a hotel room that you're only going to be in for six hours. Plus there's the time lost in finding said hotel, checking in/out, etc. And then driving back because you forgot something, LOL. But seriously, it's a massive waste of time and money. The ability to be able to run AC all night at a charging station is brilliant actually.
We have stopped at most of the rest areas between Seattle and Eureka CA on I5 and 101, and have never seen one with a charging station. In fact many in the Seattle are are closed for a few days or a week to roust the homeless.

Old 06-06-2023, 10:39 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I used to do this in the old days but now I see signs that "No overnight parking in rest area" & "Police patrol the area".
Routing patrolmen to hang out in rest areas is done for your protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have stopped at most of the rest areas between Seattle and Eureka CA on I5 and 101, and have never seen one with a charging station. In fact many in the Seattle are are closed for a few days or a week to roust the homeless.
West Coast Green Highway: West Coast Electric Highway

Quote:
... The “West Coast Electric Highway†is an extensive network of electric vehicle (EV) DC fast charging stations located every 25 to 50 miles along Interstate 5, Hwy 99, and other major roadways in British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, and California. The initiative is a collection of projects, funding sources, and partners with the same vision—to provide a network of fast charging stations enabling electric vehicle drivers to make longer trips and travel between cities. The Washington State Department of Transportation leads the charge in Washington. The Oregon Department of Transportation heads up efforts in Oregon. A California Governor’s Office interagency group coordinates charging investment in California. Plug In BC, a collaborative among government and industry partners, is the information hub for British Columbia.

The west coast has a robust EV charging network with hundreds of DC fast chargers and thousands of Level 2 charging units.
Quote:
... Electric vehicle drivers can now grab a cup of coffee or shop while charge up their vehicles at shopping centers, fueling stations and restaurants within a half mile of highway interchanges. The fast charge technology allows drivers to re-charge mass-produced all-electric vehicles such as the Nissan Leaf in under 30 minutes. Each location also includes Level 2 equipment to re-charge most plug in electric vehicles such as the Chevrolet Volt. Most original charging sites have CHAdeMo equipment compatible with fast charging Japanese cars such as the Nissan Leaf and Kia Soul. Newer sites also include Combo Charging System (CCS) fast charging equipment compatible with American and European cars such as the BMW i3 and the Chevrolet Bolt.

Old 06-06-2023, 10:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Apparently they haven't gotten to the rest stops yet, which is where people stop to use the bathroom and/or walk their dog. That will take a long time since they normally don't have the electricity required, in fact some are on limited solar for just lighting. I suppose EV driver have to plan their trips by looking up the “West Coast Electric Highway†chargers ahead of time. Being installed at shopping centers, fueling stations and restaurants within a half mile of highway interchanges means none in those long stretches that have none of those, like where the rest stops are.

Old 06-06-2023, 02:07 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,982,960 times
I've been seeing an ever increasing number of Teslas on the road lately. That is the only RV recognizable as such so there will be a lot more. When I see them I picture a column of coal smoke following them.

Not that I care anymore. The climate terrorists have quenched any climate concerns I used to have. And the vehicles that are being taxed to subsidies the EVs are seriously big. Why are manufacturers doing that?

Old 06-06-2023, 02:54 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I do miss my Bolt as it was so cheap to drive. The new Vette i got is only getting around 13.9 mpg in the city. But it sure is a upgrade from that crappy 2019 C7 i had to lemon law and makes the 3 C6's i had seem old.
C8? Automatic only. Deal breaker for me.

Old 06-06-2023, 02:55 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I've been seeing an ever increasing number of Teslas on the road lately. That is the only RV recognizable as such so there will be a lot more. When I see them I picture a column of coal smoke following them.

Not that I care anymore. The climate terrorists have quenched any climate concerns I used to have. And the vehicles that are being taxed to subsidies the EVs are seriously big. Why are manufacturers doing that?
The Government/Corporate Alliance Similar to Nazi Germany's.

Old 06-06-2023, 05:32 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
C8? Automatic only. Deal breaker for me.
Modded C7 Z51.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:15 AM

8,941 posts, read 2,963,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsir View Post
Really? On a long, multi-day trip, can you plug-in your gas powered F150 at a park charging station and run your vehicle AC all night? I didn't think so. Have fun sweating all night.
Where is this "park charging station" and why can't I also do that with gasoline? People have been doing this with RVs forever. Why can't I just plug in my electric A/C in my RV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies